Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 12:57 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,350,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
The idea that 2.3% of those who use a substance - including alcohol - do cocaine at least once annually seems believable.
I was about to say... I thought that number would be higher than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 01:00 PM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Boston lol
It's more of a "what % of the city is outer neighborhoods" which is why Boston, Seattle, DC, SF and Miami do well because they don't have vast tracts of suburban land like most cities (even like NE Philly or Staten Island) If you added Somerville, Brookline etc to Boston it would drop

Old 07-10-2018, 01:04 PM

2,362 posts, read 777,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Are these figures for the metro areas?
Something about these numbers seems way off. 532 per 100,000 in the CITY of Miami? I highly doubt Miami proper has over 3,000 venues,
It's very believable - Brickell, downtown, coconut grove, wynwood, edgewater, have a lot of nightlife venues.

Old 07-10-2018, 05:52 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,618,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
It's very believable - Brickell, downtown, coconut grove, wynwood, edgewater, have a lot of nightlife venues.
Also Little Havana where some cafeterias become bars after hours with Latin music until 5 AM but I'm assuming they are including other cities in the metro hence the pic of South Beach in the linked article.

Old 07-10-2018, 06:55 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
They need juuust enough basis to make the gullible say "they had a method."

Old 07-10-2018, 08:33 PM

638 posts, read 568,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
They need juuust enough basis to make the gullible say "they had a method."
What would your method be?

Old 07-10-2018, 08:45 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,576,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Are these figures for the metro areas?
Something about these numbers seems way off. 532 per 100,000 in the CITY of Miami? I highly doubt Miami proper has over 3,000 venues, as there really isn't much in terms of nightlife there, and it is VERY small. If they're including South Beach, perhaps, but then again, which population figure are they using? City of Miami (600,000) or Miami MSA, which includes South Beach, but also West Palm, etc. (6,000,000 people?)

Either way, that number makes no sense: 532 per 100,000 means there are over 30,000 nightlife venues in the Miami MSA.

Something tells me they used the relatively low City of Miami population figure and included all of the venues in neighboring South Beach to achieve that number.
The photo they used to illustrate "Miami" was taken in South Beach (i.e., in the city of Miami Beach), so maybe the editors don't know the dif between the two.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:53 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,709,275 times
So this list is saying DC, Denver, Seattle, Philadelphia, and Boston are harder partying than Las Vegas? Right.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:59 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1953 View Post
What would your method be?
Step one would be realizing there's no easy answer.

Step two would be realizing that not having a cohesive plan myself doens't mean criticism of another plan is out of bounds. Ever hear of scientific method? Or basic skepticism so you don't fall sucker to every clickbait article you read? Or journalistic integrity?

A good plan would involve more than just blunt, misunderstood numbers. Already in this thread people have identified some keys. For example a generic population figure will be misleading until you provide and test out some factor for the value of a different resident and visitor populations in your city (age cohorts for staters, and counting visitors in the denominator). Another is some coherent idea of what counts as "partying", some factor for counting drug use by purpose (medical?) and for what percentage of the total is being counted (less than 100%, so the question is how to at least make a decent guess)...

In other words, act like it's not just clickbait.

Old 07-11-2018, 05:08 AM

638 posts, read 568,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Step one would be realizing there's no easy answer.

Step two would be realizing that not having a cohesive plan myself doens't mean criticism of another plan is out of bounds. Ever hear of scientific method? Or basic skepticism so you don't fall sucker to every clickbait article you read? Or journalistic integrity?

A good plan would involve more than just blunt, misunderstood numbers. Already in this thread people have identified some keys. For example a generic population figure will be misleading until you provide and test out some factor for the value of a different resident and visitor populations in your city (age cohorts for staters, and counting visitors in the denominator). Another is some coherent idea of what counts as "partying", some factor for counting drug use by purpose (medical?) and for what percentage of the total is being counted (less than 100%, so the question is how to at least make a decent guess)...

In other words, act like it's not just clickbait.
No need to be condescending. I have a Master Degree and never said anything about the article's credibility. I just was curious about what your method would be since you ridiculed the article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City