Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More Southern Influence
Miami 36 52.94%
Washington DC 32 47.06%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 10:03 AM

233 posts, read 344,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I’m going to amend what I said above black Miami versus black DC. Black DC is more traditionally Southern, where as black Miami is more modern day Southern. That is so say, Black people in Miami look and sound like Southerners, but they lack the tradition of soul food, Southern Baptist and AME. Black people in Miami are more likely to be Catholic, if they are Christian, and have a food tradition tied to the islands.
Fascinating! I love it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 10:42 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,396,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Yes! Security at the door gave him an early Heisman before he even could explain himself. SMH.
Yea man DC and Newark dudes who are both into dreads heavy don’t do the wik dreads so it’s a whole other level as far as looks go!

But even in Florida people who aren’t deep in the hood hate it also.

The hispanic people I knew definitely hated the look haha

Old 07-30-2018, 10:54 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I’m going to amend what I said above black Miami versus black DC. Black DC is more traditionally Southern, where as black Miami is more modern day Southern. That is so say, Black people in Miami look and sound like Southerners, but they lack the tradition of soul food, Southern Baptist and AME. Black people in Miami are more likely to be Catholic, if they are Christian, and have a food tradition tied to the islands.
What does this mean?

DC natives and locals do not regularly acknowledge Southern traits or attributes. They do not associate with the South regularly. Now if you want to do this by a percentage basis of the degree to how much blacks in DC is partially Southern, I'd be open to discussing that. But if it's anything its less than 20%. The Blacks in DC genuinely do not like to be lumped in or grouped with South or north, but if chosen to go one way or the other, the locals wouldn't lean Southern.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:36 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,956,215 times
Quote:
What does this mean?

DC natives and locals do not regularly acknowledge Southern traits or attributes. They do not associate with the South regularly. Now if you want to do this by a percentage basis of the degree to how much blacks in DC is partially Southern, I'd be open to discussing that. But if it's anything its less than 20%. The Blacks in DC genuinely do not like to be lumped in or grouped with South or north, but if chosen to go one way or the other, the locals wouldn't lean Southern.
Traditionally southern meaning ties to southern tradition: af-am musical tradition, soul food, Black Church, etc

Old 07-30-2018, 04:53 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,451,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escondudo View Post
Washington DC also had segregation that lasted through the 1950s.

And its also at the doorstep of the Northeast. You go just a little while north and its a different world. (not to say the north wasn't racist too, of course) You go a little north of Miami and... its all deep south.

And if we're gonna bring up culture and history, then maybe we should also discuss climate. Come January, which do you think feels more southern? lol.

Old 07-30-2018, 05:04 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,451,998 times
I feel people really underestimate the non-Caribbean Afro-American population of Miami. The way people talk you would think it was 95% Caribbean blacks in Miami and only 5% non-Caribbean. Not the reality. Its like if people try to say that the vast majority of black people in Minneapolis are Somalians, ignoring the many many others that aren't.

Aside from that, it sounds really disparaging to assume that because someone is of a certain heritage they don't really belong to that identity. Its another way of saying "they're not really American" to my ears.

Old 07-30-2018, 05:23 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,956,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I feel people really underestimate the non-Caribbean Afro-American population of Miami. The way people talk you would think it was 95% Caribbean blacks in Miami and only 5% non-Caribbean. Not the reality. Its like if people try to say that the vast majority of black people in Minneapolis are Somalians, ignoring the many many others that aren't.

Aside from that, it sounds really disparaging to assume that because someone is of a certain heritage they don't really belong to that identity. Its another way of saying "they're not really American" to my ears.
I don’t think you understand the history in Bahamians in Miami. The story of black Miami is Bahamian. And that’s long before other Afro-Caribbean immigrants came.
Quote:
Bahamians built and still reside in the oldest inhabited neighborhoods in Miami like Coconut Grove and Lemon City. Bahamians represented 1/3 of the vote to incorporate the area into the new city Miami
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahamian_Americans

Find me a fourth-generation Miamian, and I all but guarantee that person is black and of Caribbean origin. Bahamians literally predate permanent white settlement in Miami.

Old 07-30-2018, 06:40 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
And its also at the doorstep of the Northeast. You go just a little while north and its a different world. (not to say the north wasn't racist too, of course) You go a little north of Miami and... its all deep south.
What do you consider to be "a little north"?

Old 07-30-2018, 09:35 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,518 times
Quote:
What does this mean?

DC natives aren't exactly "Southern," but they are knowledgeable about Southern traits/cultures, same with Baltimore too, especially with the younger generation nowadays. Southern artists like Boosie and Gucci Mane are HUGE in these cities.

From my experience, The South and DC Natives always jokingly go back and forth, to the point where Southerners always used to make fun of Mumbo Sauce. But for the most part, DC natives recognize themselves as just being "DC Natives," not really North or South, same could be said for Baltimore, and the rest of the DMV. BUT, I pretty sure they have more cultural ties to the South, than they do to the North.

And I also think that Howard and the HBCU culture plays a huge part too.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:59 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
DC natives aren't exactly "Southern," but they are knowledgeable about Southern traits/cultures, same with Baltimore too, especially with the younger generation nowadays. Southern artists like Boosie and Gucci Mane are HUGE in these cities.

From my experience, The South and DC Natives always jokingly go back and forth, to the point where Southerners always used to make fun of Mumbo Sauce. But for the most part, DC natives recognize themselves as just being "DC Natives," not really North or South, same could be said for Baltimore, and the rest of the DMV. BUT, I pretty sure they have more cultural ties to the South, than they do to the North.

And I also think that Howard and the HBCU culture plays a huge part too.

You didn't just classify Baltimore as the DMV did you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City