Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More Southern Influence
Miami 36 52.94%
Washington DC 32 47.06%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 02:38 AM

923 posts, read 664,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I’m going to amend what I said above black Miami versus black DC. Black DC is more traditionally Southern, where as black Miami is more modern day Southern. That is so say, Black people in Miami look and sound like Southerners, but they lack the tradition of soul food, Southern Baptist and AME. Black people in Miami are more likely to be Catholic, if they are Christian, and have a food tradition tied to the islands.
Catholics are Christian you know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I have argued up and down and have made the same arguments for several years regarding the black population in Miami. I know plenty of Haitians in South Florida that anyone could hardly tell apart from Southern Black Americans in manners and way of life.

To the person that said Orlando isn’t really Southern, I also disagree there as well but that’s another topic.
People dont understand how fluid culture can be when living in close proximity to each other for decades.
Its not like immigrants today where they have such a different culture.These Caribbean people came when the cultures weren't that much different from each other as they are today.
People forget there was segregation.They didn't care what kinda black person you were.lol.
They didnt care if you were one of "them new ninja's over there".lol
Blacks had no choice but to integrate with the American born blacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU8jxLQl1ag

Old 07-31-2018, 04:01 AM

Quote:
I don’t think you understand the history in Bahamians in Miami. The story of black Miami is Bahamian. And that’s long before other Afro-Caribbean immigrants came.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahamian_Americans

Find me a fourth-generation Miamian, and I all but guarantee that person is black and of Caribbean origin. Bahamians literally predate permanent white settlement in Miami.
You seem to be focused on one part of Miami's history.It is most absolutely NOT just Bahamanian.
You know African Americans and Bahamanians BOTH built Miami.
Miami was a very small city with and even smaller black population.The first few blacks that came in the ;ate 1800's were mostly were indeed from the Bahamas but it was during the railroad boom in which Miami really started to grow and attract much larger numbers of A.A's that came from around the Southern states.
Particularly Georgia and S.Carolina.
Quote:
What many people don’t know about the Great Migration though is that there was a significant migration of free African Americans that went south, mostly from Georgia into Florida. See the map below for the main routes African American took post civil war:

Many of these blacks built the cultural and business that catered to the blacks.ALL blacks.
D.A. DORSEY

Dana A. Dorsey, better known as D.A. Dorsey, was a Georgia man who came to Miami to work as a carpenter on Flagler’s railroad. He saw a need among fellow workers for housing, so he got into Miami’s favorite pastime — real estate. Dorsey purchased land in Overtown and redeveloped it into affordable housing.

Through years of development, reinvestment and entrepreneurship, Dorsey became Miami’s first black millionaire. Dorsey held property in Dade and Broward counties, Cuba and the Bahamas. He built the Dorsey Hotel, the first black-owned hotel in the city, and founded the first black bank. Dorsey even bought and sold present-day Fisher Island.

The oldest black owned theater,The Lyric, still standing was built in 1913 by a black man from Georgia as well

All black people came to this country from somewhere so when does a black person become Southern and NOT become West African,Haitian,Bahamian? I guess from what you are saying never.

One thing is for sure,black people got some of the worst treatment anywhere in the U.S.They got pushed out and used when they were needed any more.
Miami became a city ONLY because there were'nt enough white male registered voters to vote for incorporation.After it became a city,not long after that they instituted "black codes "which were the precursor to Jim Crow laws.
https://thenewtropic.com/black-history-early-miami/

Old 07-31-2018, 05:36 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
You didn't just classify Baltimore as the DMV did you?
Lol, Two peas in a pot

Old 07-31-2018, 05:52 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
DC natives aren't exactly "Southern," but they are knowledgeable about Southern traits/cultures, same with Baltimore too, especially with the younger generation nowadays. Southern artists like Boosie and Gucci Mane are HUGE in these cities.

From my experience, The South and DC Natives always jokingly go back and forth, to the point where Southerners always used to make fun of Mumbo Sauce. But for the most part, DC natives recognize themselves as just being "DC Natives," not really North or South, same could be said for Baltimore, and the rest of the DMV. BUT, I pretty sure they have more cultural ties to the South, than they do to the North.

And I also think that Howard and the HBCU culture plays a huge part too.
Let me explain it this way...The DMV or whatever you want to break the region down as, is the true border zone of North and South. People in the area have this uncanny ability to be able to relate to areas North of it or South of it and still kind of find their way and mesh in.

DMV culture going way back to at least the mid or late 90's people used to love music from places like Houston, and Memphis, and New Orleans. Scarface/ Devin the dude were big time in DC, as was Eightball and MJG or 3-6 Mafia, No Limit etc. Those artists got a lot of love in DC and a lot of people found ways of relating to those artists in the DC area.

Turn around in the early 2000's and many people in the area were into Dipset, State Property, Roca fella, G-Unit/ Shady Aftermath etc. Not to mention back in the 90's Wu Tang, Biggie/ Junior Mafia used to get big time followings in the DC area. It really just depends, DC can be kind of dog eat dog, I remember back when DMX had a show here and got booed off the stage! Idk if he performed in DC since.

I love the fact that DC/MD/VA all have that HBCU culture, it's like we know our roots yet still can blend in on a lot of levels with a lot of groups of people. DC is very knowledgable of culture and music from other cities, and thus otherwise knows where to place itself. The club scene in DC early 2000's was very "East Coast ish". More upscale, but more poppin than most cities around. Taking a trip down south and going to the club had a much different feel to it. You really felt like you were in the South then. I lived in Florida in 07-08' and coming from the DC area to there was a shock at how backwards feeling it felt to me, everything in DC seemed so much more advanced and formal. On top of that the girls there were a piece of cake, and it was easy to book their numbers down there, everything seemed slower and easier. DC has always just felt different from the rest of the "South" to me, much like some others may think it feels different from the rest of the "North". Hence why we say leave the topic alone and call it Mid-Atlantic.

Last edited by the resident09; 07-31-2018 at 06:02 AM..

Old 07-31-2018, 07:08 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,956,215 times
For what it’s worth, this site is the only place where I’ve seen DC consistently referred to as the south. I’ve never met anyone in real life feels this way.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:22 AM

145 posts, read 93,264 times
Quote:
For what it’s worth, this site is the only place where I’ve seen DC consistently referred to as the south. I’ve never met anyone in real life feels this way.

Agreed. I have family and friends in NJ and DC/Baltimore, also California and Chicago. I live in the ATL suburbs these days. Just some background for you.

Here's my take on the situation. And this analogy extends generally beyond DC and Miami but nationwide regarding that "Southern" feel.

Places that feel "Southern" or that are "Southern" are affected by how the dominant white power structure perceives them. And that perception affects how black folks perceive ourselves.

While yes there is racism all over the country, the systemic racism of the South is a result of the laws that white folks in power implemented. The far right shift in the Republican party has delineated this nationwide divide even more.

The majority of white folks in New York, in NJ, in Boston, in Chicago, in Los Angeles and yes in the DC/Baltimore/DMV vote for the Democratic platform at the state level.

In Miami, in Atlanta, in Charlotte, in Dallas, in Houston, in New Orleans, the majority of white folks vote Republican.

The black communities in Republican states have a much greater struggle getting their needs addressed due to the inability of the white leaders to empathize/comprehend the needs of the black community. The longer this Democratic/Republican split continues, the longer the cities in the affected areas will evolve apart from each other.

Back to the original topic of this post, DC does not feel Southern whereas Miami does, using the reasoning I listed above.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:11 AM

233 posts, read 344,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKanye View Post
Agreed. I have family and friends in NJ and DC/Baltimore, also California and Chicago. I live in the ATL suburbs these days. Just some background for you.

Here's my take on the situation. And this analogy extends generally beyond DC and Miami but nationwide regarding that "Southern" feel.

Places that feel "Southern" or that are "Southern" are affected by how the dominant white power structure perceives them. And that perception affects how black folks perceive ourselves.

While yes there is racism all over the country, the systemic racism of the South is a result of the laws that white folks in power implemented. The far right shift in the Republican party has delineated this nationwide divide even more.

The majority of white folks in New York, in NJ, in Boston, in Chicago, in Los Angeles and yes in the DC/Baltimore/DMV vote for the Democratic platform at the state level.

In Miami, in Atlanta, in Charlotte, in Dallas, in Houston, in New Orleans, the majority of white folks vote Republican.

The black communities in Republican states have a much greater struggle getting their needs addressed due to the inability of the white leaders to empathize/comprehend the needs of the black community. The longer this Democratic/Republican split continues, the longer the cities in the affected areas will evolve apart from each other.

Back to the original topic of this post, DC does not feel Southern whereas Miami does, using the reasoning I listed above.
Ohio, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Michigan also match this dynamic in terms of white voters leaning Republican and the Black community being marginalized.

Florida voted for Obama twice, and the power structure isn't White Anglo in Miami Dade. It's White Hispanic (Cuban).

Old 07-31-2018, 11:16 AM

145 posts, read 93,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escondudo View Post
Ohio, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Michigan also match this dynamic in terms of white voters leaning Republican and the Black community being marginalized.

Florida voted for Obama twice, and the power structure isn't White Anglo in Miami Dade. It's White Hispanic (Cuban).
I said at the state level. Not national elections.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKanye View Post
I said at the state level. Not national elections.
Thats still not quite accurate.These states have had mixed tickets for 40years to varying degrees.Even Georgia and North Carolina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City