Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2018, 09:54 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
A lot of the Sun Belt cities have spent millions upon millions in developing what they'd consider as "Urban environments." let's just say, Birmingham is very fortunate not to have that type of problem.
Many cities are fortunate to have low crime and less run down areas. They are also fortunate to have street activity after work hours.

Quote:
And you're right, the "Over the Mountain" crowd isn't returning to the core of the city, I'll admit that. Luckily for Birmingham, that's a blessing in disguise, because 1. That's not the demographic Birmingham wants to associate themselves with, and 2. They're old.
Diversity is a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 08:45 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
Indianapolis. People hear that it has over 840,000 people and assume it's larger than Atlanta, Boston, Seattle, Minneapolis, etc. A lot of people don't understand metro population is a more accurate measure of a city's size.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:25 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,768,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Indianapolis. People hear that it has over 840,000 people and assume it's larger than Atlanta, Boston, Seattle, Minneapolis, etc. A lot of people don't understand metro population is a more accurate measure of a city's size.

I almost can't believe people think that, but even people on this board do, who you'd think would know better. Context is everything. City boundaries are practically meaningless outside of government function, especially for the ones who annexed their whole county.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:33 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,696,736 times
Quote:
I got into an argument with someone (a know-it-all) who seriously thought Indianapolis was bigger than Detroit. And you can tell they were offended when I corrected them.

And the kicker is that they actually lived or some time *IN* Metro Detroit.

Old 09-16-2018, 11:10 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Many cities are fortunate to have low crime and less run down areas. They are also fortunate to have street activity after work hours.
Thanks for also strengthening my argument by referencing a characteristic of a city who didn't boom until after WW2. Oh, and Birmingham does have street activity after work hours; you're a suburban type of person though, you probably wouldn't know anything about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Diversity is a good thing.
If that's your preference, your free to go burn your Nikes with those people. I don't care if it does propose a better representation of diversity, I wouldn't want to associate myself with those types of individuals.

Old 09-16-2018, 11:40 AM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Thanks for also strengthening my argument by referencing a characteristic of a city who didn't boom until after WW2. Oh, and Birmingham does have street activity after work hours; you're a suburban type of person though, you probably wouldn't know anything about that.
You're welcome.

Quote:
If that's your preference, your free to go burn your Nikes with those people. I don't care if it does propose a better representation of diversity, I wouldn't want to associate myself with those types of individuals.
I wouldn't want you to feel uncomfortable in any way by associating with people who hold different beliefs than you.

Old 09-16-2018, 11:58 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,768,878 times
the politics just never stop. this board would be a lot more interesting without it, just focusing on cities. ok, I guess LOCAL politics are gonna be a factor, but in a wider context I think it should be left to political forums.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:44 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
I almost can't believe people think that, but even people on this board do, who you'd think would know better. Context is everything. City boundaries are practically meaningless outside of government function, especially for the ones who annexed their whole county.
I can, although it's rather sad. Tourist agencies and other companies have advertised Indianapolis being the 12th largest city in the country. If you type in largest cities into Google you'll get a list of city boundary populations. Metropolitan statistical area is a foreign word to many people outside of this forum.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:41 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
Quote:
I can, although it's rather sad. Tourist agencies and other companies have advertised Indianapolis being the 12th largest city in the country. If you type in largest cities into Google you'll get a list of city boundary populations. Metropolitan statistical area is a foreign word to many people outside of this forum.
MSA is a foreign word to many people inside this forum as well. Anytime someone posts one of those fabled lists where the clueless publication only used data from civic boundaries. Anytime someone uses city pop to claim one cities dominance over another when it suits their narrative, but completely overlooks the fact that the dominant city has the land area of a county, and a metro area with half the population.

#citypopisuseless

Old 09-18-2018, 12:31 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,938,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
This is so true. The one car trains in Cleveland are just bizarre when you are used to much larger trains.

And I'm really surprised Denver does not have a higher daily ridership for having such a comprehensive system for a city of that size.
Cleveland’s one car red line train is temporary. Sorry to burst this bubble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City