Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2021, 11:53 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,691,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
I think you're exaggerating the amount of traffic. They're 30min+ non-peak time at most on most Saturday morning or Friday evenings. It might be worse in the winters or at the start or end of long weekends though.
You're kidding right? I frequently head to the front range on weekends and i'm pretty involved with the outdoor scene here. Why do natives insists on downplaying how things are here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2021, 12:04 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,908,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
You're kidding right? I frequently head to the front range on weekends and i'm pretty involved with the outdoor scene here. Why do natives insists on downplaying how things are here?
Really? I remember calling you out a few years ago because you stated Denver was lousy for outdoor recreation while also admitting you weren't very outdoorsy. If that's changed, that's awesome.

FWIW, you're making a very bad assumption about mkwensky. They moved up here from Texas a year or two ago. I also don't downplay how much snow Denver gets or how traffic into the mountains can be a PITA. I'm not a native, either.

I'm curious why you're still here when you've been complaining about how awful Denver is for the last 3+ years. If it's so terrible, why stay?

Old 09-14-2021, 01:20 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,179,307 times
Quote:
I just drove to and back from Aspen a few weekends ago and while there were maybe a couple ten minute stretches where I had to go below 20mph I didn't see any of the traffic jams you like to talk about. I also didn't leave at 3am or anything like that. Anyway Google Maps is available for those who want to find out for themselves instead of listening to online postings of people who might have axes to grind.

Old 09-14-2021, 01:37 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,463,501 times
Quote:
I just drove to and back from Aspen a few weekends ago and while there were maybe a couple ten minute stretches where I had to go below 20mph I didn't see any of the traffic jams you like to talk about. I also didn't leave at 3am or anything like that. Anyway Google Maps is available for those who want to find out for themselves instead of listening to online postings of people who might have axes to grind.
In fairness, driving to Aspen in the summer isn’t the same as winter. Both from the conditions of the roads, and extra ski traffic.

For the topic of this thread, Seattle by a wide margin.

Old 09-15-2021, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Really? I remember calling you out a few years ago because you stated Denver was lousy for outdoor recreation while also admitting you weren't very outdoorsy. If that's changed, that's awesome.

FWIW, you're making a very bad assumption about mkwensky. They moved up here from Texas a year or two ago. I also don't downplay how much snow Denver gets or how traffic into the mountains can be a PITA. I'm not a native, either.

I'm curious why you're still here when you've been complaining about how awful Denver is for the last 3+ years. If it's so terrible, why stay?

I'm still here because I'm not quitting a job I specifically moved here for that has been everything I had I hoped it would be. My career/job pays very well and has some benefits that I'm not ready to relinquish just yet. It's comical how people say "just move" as if it's that easy. It's rarely that easy. Make no mistake, i'm making plans. But I can't just leave. Even as a single guy with no kids, i've never considered moving that easy despite having lived in 10 states as an adult. Clearly I'm no rookie to moving, If I could push my 90% telecommute to 100% telecommute, I'd be gone in a heartbeat. With a little luck, i'll hit that goal next year.
You guys feel free to sugar coat Denver's problems, as long as the urban myths keep being perpetuated, people will keep flocking here. And before you say it, I moved here for this job, not for weed.

Old 09-15-2021, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Hardly comparable to computing from Denver to the front range where and when everyone else is headed the same direction. That's like saying traffic during rush hour isn't bad when you're going the opposite way. And Yea, google maps will easily support my claims, unlike your fantasy.

Old 09-15-2021, 04:27 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,179,307 times
Quote:
Hardly comparable to computing from Denver to the front range where and when everyone else is headed the same direction. That's like saying traffic during rush hour isn't bad when you're going the opposite way. And Yea, google maps will easily support my claims, unlike your fantasy.
I said TO and FROM, which people who don't have reading comprehension issues can easily figure out means going in the predominant directions.
Anyone with basic sense of geography also know that to get to Aspen from Denver you have to go through the Front Range.
You're entitled to your fantasy, but Google Maps is there for everyone who's interested in reality.

Old 09-16-2021, 09:14 AM

211 posts, read 137,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I was thinking about the region as a whole, but yes Portland beats Denver as far as city proper goes.
While transit certainly plays a role in a neighborhoods walkability, and while I do hate RTDs design, are the neighborhoods themselves more structurally dense than Denver's? What makes the Pearl District (or the equivalent) more walkable than Cap Hill?

Yes they are, but the block sizes also play a big role; most neighborhoods in Portland have smaller 200' x 200' city blocks (not sure how many people know this other than planning nerds), which creates a more pedestrian-friendly environment/better access to retail space. Also the mix of businesses in the Pearl District is much more diverse than, say, LoDo in Denver...meaning the experience of living in or visiting the neighborhood is much better as a pedestrian. Using Cap Hill as an example, there's a decent level of density and neighborhood amenities, but they are much more spread out (and sprinkled in) compared to Pearl.

That's in addition to downtown Portland/Pearl being more accessible from other walkable neighborhoods via transit, which as I mentioned before is crucial and RTD has no interest in addressing the issue...they keep building train stations in the middle of industrial wastelands, hoping that development will follow. If the G Line station in Olde Town Arvada was the norm in the Denver area, rather than the exception, I would have a more positive outlook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
An airport with more connections and options, more pro sports, college D1 school 40mins away, more diverse population, more access to skiing I'd assume, a transit system that has twice any many miles of track and reach more suburbs are some amenities that Portland doesn't have.

Yeah I think the only thing I'd care about in this list is DIA and more direct flights, but I could get over it. I'd rather have a transit system that prioritizes places I actually want to go (hint hint, it's not parking lots or culs de sac out in the 'burbs). IMO Portland still wins overall for #2 (in this comparison), with Seattle at #1 easily.

Last edited by boomtown boi; 09-16-2021 at 10:31 AM..

Old 09-16-2021, 10:47 AM

211 posts, read 137,316 times
Quote:
I'm still here because I'm not quitting a job I specifically moved here for that has been everything I had I hoped it would be. My career/job pays very well and has some benefits that I'm not ready to relinquish just yet. It's comical how people say "just move" as if it's that easy. It's rarely that easy. Make no mistake, i'm making plans. But I can't just leave. Even as a single guy with no kids, i've never considered moving that easy despite having lived in 10 states as an adult. Clearly I'm no rookie to moving, If I could push my 90% telecommute to 100% telecommute, I'd be gone in a heartbeat. With a little luck, i'll hit that goal next year.
You guys feel free to sugar coat Denver's problems, as long as the urban myths keep being perpetuated, people will keep flocking here. And before you say it, I moved here for this job, not for weed.

I'm in a similar boat, but I also have some wonderful friends here (more like chosen family) which will make it harder to leave. I do find the sugar-coated Denver boosterism a fascinating phenomina though - I think it has a lot to do with people trying to justify the ever increasing cost of living here. I mean - who wants to admit they pay an arm and a leg to live in a place that is average at best in terms of built environment/transit, with a mediocre food scene, etc? The main perks to me to are the amount of sunny days, Red Rocks concerts when I can afford them, and the 30 min. proximity to hiking in Boulder (on a Saturday morning this is still possible, I avoid the I-70 rat race altogether). Nothing I love about living here is tied to the city itself.

Last edited by boomtown boi; 09-16-2021 at 10:56 AM..

Old 09-16-2021, 10:53 AM

503 posts, read 801,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtown boi View Post
I'm in a similar boat, but I also have some wonderful friends here (more like chosen family) which will make it harder to leave. I do find the sugar-coated Denver boosterism a fascinating phenomina though - I think it has a lot to do with people trying to justify the ever increasing cost of living here. I mean - who wants to admit they pay an arm and a leg to live in a place that is average at best in terms of built environment/transit, with a mediocre food scene, etc? The main perks to me to are the amount of sunny days and the 30-min. proximity to hiking in Boulder or Golden; nothing I love about living here is tied to the city itself.
No you're just projecting. I know plenty of people that love living in Denver. There may be a few that sugarcoat things but there are also a few (Like yourself and Ankhharu) that like to over exaggerate the negatives just because it might not be to your liking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City