Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which US city has the greatest degree of regional domination?
Atlanta (S) 63 33.16%
Austin (S) 0 0%
Baltimore (E) 2 1.05%
Boston (NE) 20 10.53%
Buffalo (NE) 1 0.53%
Charlotte (S) 2 1.05%
Chicago (MW) 83 43.68%
Cincinnati (MW) 1 0.53%
Cleveland (MW) 1 0.53%
Columbus (MW) 1 0.53%
Dallas (S) 24 12.63%
Denver (W) 18 9.47%
Detroit (MW) 2 1.05%
Houston (S) 7 3.68%
Indianapolis (MW) 3 1.58%
Jacksonville (S) 1 0.53%
Kansas City (MW) 4 2.11%
Las Vegas (W) 1 0.53%
Los Angeles (W) 43 22.63%
Louisville (S) 1 0.53%
Memphis (S) 1 0.53%
Miami (S) 9 4.74%
Milwaukee (MW) 2 1.05%
Minneapolis (MW) 3 1.58%
Nashville (S) 4 2.11%
New Orleans (S) 5 2.63%
New York (NE) 67 35.26%
Orlando (S) 2 1.05%
Philadelphia (NE) 4 2.11%
Phoenix (W) 3 1.58%
Pittsburgh (NE) 3 1.58%
Portland (W) 0 0%
Sacramento (W) 1 0.53%
St. Louis (MW) 2 1.05%
Salt Lake (W) 1 0.53%
San Antonio (S) 1 0.53%
San Diego (W) 2 1.05%
San Francisco (W) 16 8.42%
San Jose (W) 3 1.58%
Seattle (W) 11 5.79%
Tampa (S) 1 0.53%
Washington (NE) 7 3.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 11:47 PM

14,057 posts, read 13,950,334 times

Advertisements

NYC dominates Northeast from Maine to Washington DC everything talk about NY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 04:08 AM

14,189 posts, read 9,085,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
NYC dominates Northeast from Maine to Washington DC everything talk about NY
New York really belongs in its own category.

And I wouldn't say that either New York or Chicago dominate their regions the way Atlanta does the South or Los Angeles the Southwest. The secondary cities in both regions (Northeast and Mid-Atlantic: Boston, Philadelphia, Washington, especially Washington; Midwest: Minneapolis-St. Paul, Kansas City, St. Louis, Indianapolis, Columbus, Cleveland, Cincinnati) are all, if not prominent, then at least well-known in their regions and serve as minor hubs of their own (if you live in a small town on the Central Plains and want to go to "the big city," you will most likely go to either the Twin Cities or Kansas City, depending on your latitude, before you high-tail it for Chi-town).

Though speaking of the South: Miami also belongs in its own category. It's the capital of the Caribbean.

Old 11-04-2018, 11:55 AM

923 posts, read 666,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
Houston cannot be ignored, but Dallas is the larger city. This would be a much closer match than Austin. However I would still give Dallas the edge and it will probably be the first to overtake Chicago in some decades to come. Dallas is the archetypal large Texan city. Not super liberal, big houses, big freeways, big business, just big. It's not that Houston isn't large, its just there is a slight edge to Dallas.

The issue with the south is that there really are only four large major cities in a huge area Dallas, Houston, Atlanta & Miami. If you try to make any specific one king, its not going to define everywhere. However I think many people will note that Texas is distinct with its focus on independence, cowboys & the like. Other deep south states like Mississippi may not fall under the umbrella of any of the large metros. So I placed Atlanta as a more generic to the southern tradition despite the fact that Mississippi may not be the best fit. For those areas they don't really have any city that would be the leader. So if asked I would pick Atlanta in general even if it doesn't work in MS, LA or AR. Between say Dallas Texas and Atlanta with probably the only exception of Birmingham, it really is a dead-zone. The only other city would be New Orleans and it definitely isn't like Mississippi.
What aboout the Northeast?There only 4 as well.NYC,DC.Boston,and Philly.If you count Baltimore then you should ccount Charlotte,Tampa,Nashville etc.

Old 11-04-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Naw I don't think so.
It would be more honest of you to just admit you didn't think the influence of these cities were similar. You clearly stated that your definition was distance before you get to a sizable/ peer city. Now that I posted evidence you are changing your tune. I thought you were one of the more honest ones. You seem to be from what I gather, knowledgeable about the South but moreso the Eastern portion. You weigh your opinions slightly to the southeast but not squarely to Atlanta. The smaller metros posters are more hostile to Atlanta, you usually don't have anything to prove. Seem educated but not as competitive as the research triangle.I am tempted to say Southern Virginia but that is too far. My bet is Charlotte. Are you from there?

Really surprised to see still with your posting privileges

Marketing. We are a consumer society.
If we have everyone go out saying things like capital of the South, or Paris or New York of the South pretty soon everyone is going to be repeating it.

Do you really believe Elvis was the King of Rock and Roll?
I was going to post several pages back as Im coming late to this thread but I have to inerject.
Yes.I firmly believe as far as a sphere of Influence,Atlanta has the widest comparable to size of the city and metro,
Im form a small town in Georgia originally but have lived in Europe,Middle East and all across America.
People from those places may know not oNE single thing about Atlanta but they do know the things in Atlanta.At least its true about those overseas places but in the U.S.as one poster stated,"Atlanta is the first city they think of".

As far as smaller cities in the South,sure there is some animosity towards Atlanta but everyone of them are pretty much emulating in someways many things Atlanta is doing to grow and attract a more educated population.Especially Charlotte.

As it is with Texas,no Atlanta reach does not go that far BUT there is a LOT of ties between Dallas ,Houston and Atlanta.Three of the top 10 busiest routes in the US Air travel are out of Atlanta.Atlanta to Chicago,NYC and Orlando.
Not one is in a Texas city.
Outside of the top 10 I believe I saw Atlanta to Dallas as One of the busiest domestic routes but that was a while back so I cant be sure. You work in that industry so....

So it can be reasoned that there are some factors at play but marketing is not it.Its such a facetious remark as it gives the impression the City of Atlanta has pushed this with some plan.
Atlanta has industries and institutions that people think of and know as being from the South.Its not some marketing campaign

Old 11-04-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Does this South include Texas or South Florida because I don’t see how anything in Atlanta dominates in Texas even at the smallest.
Influence and dominate dont mean the same thing.I do think there is some influence but not dominate

Old 11-04-2018, 04:14 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I voted:

New York (NE)
Chicago (MW)
Los Angeles (W)
Atlanta (S)

In my eyes the only debatable one there is Atlanta, as I could easily see arguments for Miami, Houston, or Dallas being more important/dominant regionally. As a Northerner when I hear "the South" my mind pictures Atlanta to be the focal point.
The other cities are too peripheral to dominate the region. I would call them "Gateway" cities.

Old 11-04-2018, 04:29 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,561,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
Influence and dominate dont mean the same thing.I do think there is some influence but not dominate
There is little to any influence of Atlanta in Texas and South Florida.

Old 11-04-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
What aboout the Northeast?There only 4 as well.NYC,DC.Boston,and Philly.If you count Baltimore then you should ccount Charlotte,Tampa,Nashville etc.
The NE has a metro area of 20 million plus people. There is nothing equivalent to that in the South. That comparison doesn't fit as all of the major Southern metros are between 5.5 and 7.5 million people and Atlanta is the smallest of the four.

Last edited by Spade; 11-04-2018 at 05:16 PM..

Old 11-04-2018, 05:03 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,815,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
There is little to any influence of Atlanta in Texas and South Florida.
Or Louisiana, or Arkansas, or Oklahoma or half of: Mississippi, Tennessee, North Carolina, almost all of Florida...

Old 11-04-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Or Louisiana, or Arkansas, or Oklahoma or half of: Mississippi, Tennessee, North Carolina, almost all of Florida...
I would say say Atlanta influence does reach to maybe as far south as Orlando and Tampa. But it’s not blatant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City