Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 12:29 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,463,360 times

Advertisements

What are the advantages of each?

Say, for ex., a place like Columbus, that has a powerhouse in OSU

vs a place like Kansas City, that doesnt have one big college, but a number of smaller good schools.

obvious advantage I see is the powerhouse school will have the name recognition.

IF you can get it.

The smaller schools might offer easier access, but less interesting lectures (if any)

any other advantages/disadvantages?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 12:32 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
What are the advantages of each?

Say, for ex., a place like Columbus, that has a powerhouse in OSU

vs a place like Kansas City, that doesnt have one big college, but a number of smaller good schools.

obvious advantage I see is the powerhouse school will have the name recognition.

IF you can get it.

The smaller schools might offer easier access, but less interesting lectures (if any)

any other advantages/disadvantages?
Having multiple smaller ones give you more options and varieties to choose from. Having one huge one creates great publicity and attracts more out of state and country students.

You do have cities with one major universities and lots of smaller ones such as Atlanta, NYC, LA, etc

Old 09-02-2009, 12:35 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
big state universities aren't always known for their academics...I'd much rather go to a smaller school with a better academic reputation.

^nyc and la have lots of big ones and small ones and medium size ones...atlanta is not even close to matching, if u were using that as example.

I mean what kind of name recognition do you want? That they have a nice football program and you see a lot of t-shirts? Most competent HR people know the difference in Amherst vs. University of Nebraska for example, as do graduate advisors...

The smaller schools, usually private are actually harder access, smaller class sizes and better lectures, not the other way around where you have 1st year grad students teaching the course, you might not even come into contact with a professor until your junior year. which is how it works at a lot of the big state research schools, that happen to have big name recognition, but not necesarily the same quality of education.

So really, size doesn't matter, it is the quality of the institution, even down to the junior college level in some cases. For instance Santa Rosa Junior College has professors who used to lecture at Stanford, Berkeley etc. but prefer being in a different location. It was actually modeled after Berkeley and a big feeder school and has 40K students.

Last edited by grapico; 09-02-2009 at 12:46 PM..

Old 09-02-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
big state universities aren't always known for their academics...I'd much rather go to a smaller school with a better academic reputation.

^nyc and la have lots of big ones and small ones and medium size ones...atlanta is not even close to matching, if u were using that as example.

I mean what kind of name recognition do you want? That they have a nice football program and you see a lot of t-shirts? Most competent HR people know the difference in Amherst vs. University of Nebraska for example, as do graduate advisors...

The smaller schools, usually private are actually harder access, smaller class sizes and better lectures, not the other way around where you have 1st year grad students teaching the course, which is how it works at a lot of the big state research schools, that happen to have big name recognition, but not necesarily the same quality of education.
ATL: Georgia Tech, Georgia State, Spelman, Morehouse, Clark, Emory, etc

The first two and Emory would probably be considered major depending on how you look at it.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:46 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,463,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Having multiple smaller ones give you more options and varieties to choose from. Having one huge one creates great publicity and attracts more out of state and country students.

You do have cities with one major universities and lots of smaller ones such as Atlanta, NYC, LA, etc
true. but usually they are much bigger areas...

and would answers change if your talking bout graduate level?

Old 09-02-2009, 12:50 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
ATL: Georgia Tech, Georgia State, Spelman, Morehouse, Clark, Emory, etc

The first two and Emory would probably be considered major depending on how you look at it.
don't do this man... I know what ATL has. Just don't compare ATL institutions with what is in NYC/LA it is going to get clobbered. I just thought it was rather odd you said NYC/LA then ATL.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
true. but usually they are much bigger areas...
Correct. If cities like Austin didn't have UT or Boulder didn't have UCB. They probably wouldn't be as known today.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:55 PM

253 posts, read 968,051 times
ATL in the same .edu league as NY? LA? What?
This is a joke...

Old 09-02-2009, 12:59 PM

19 posts, read 41,993 times
I think cities with a variety of colleges to choose from are best. Being in New Jersey gave me the option of choosing between schools in college cities and towns in New Jersey, Philadelphia, and New York City.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
don't do this man... I know what ATL has. Just don't compare ATL institutions with what is in NYC/LA it is going to get clobbered. I just thought it was rather odd you said NYC/LA then ATL.
I wasn't aware we were comparing schools. To my understanding I was just listing major and smaller schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City