Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 04:32 PM

9,688 posts, read 9,420,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuinnMill View Post
How do you know that there won't be "construction everywhere" in '21 or '22?

As for "established", I don't know what that's supposed to mean.

If transit was really important people, corporations, and developers wouldn't be coming to Nashville in droves. Outside of internet forums no one cares about waiting and riding on public transportation choo choo trains.
The Plan - Lets Move Nashville Lets Move Nashville

Middle Tennessee RTA FAQs - faqs, frequently asked questions, times of operation, purchase tickets, music city circuit

https://www.itsmarta.com

https://www.ajc.com/news/local-govt-...sR3WP/amp.html

LynxCharlotte.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 05:26 PM

232 posts, read 190,438 times
Too add to what I said earlier:

Nashville has the most vibrant downtown. Their downtown vibe is better than, or equal to, probably any midsized American city.
Charlotte's is second, but not equal in vibe and vibrancy as Nashville, but good enough.
Atlanta has MidTown and Atlantic Station which neither of the other two have anything similar

Nashville also has a very nice Gulch district which Charlotte's Sotuhend is similar to, but not as vibrant (but that could change in the near future).
Charlotte has the best intown neighborhood, IMO
Atlanta overall has the best offerings, suburbs, amenities and transport. Neither Nashville nor Charlotte has an area like an Alpharetta.

In conclusion, Nashville is best when considering only the dowtown and immediate areas. Charlotte to me is better as an overall city with better neighborhood to live in close to downtown (uptown), with good COL.

Atlanta much more abundant in its offering over a wide area. It also contains the best of Charlotte and Nashville 9but also much more of the worse aspects of those cities.

As a personal choice I would rank them as (and I could easily live in any of them):

1a. Atlanta/Charlotte
1b. Nashville

Old 04-25-2019, 12:50 PM

124 posts, read 102,360 times
Just came back from Atlanta last week. Midtown is huge! It blows the Charlotte and Nashville comparison out by a mile! Am I missing something??

Old 04-25-2019, 01:39 PM

3,167 posts, read 2,219,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy123 View Post
Too add to what I said earlier:

Nashville has the most vibrant downtown. Their downtown vibe is better than, or equal to, probably any midsized American city.
Charlotte's is second, but not equal in vibe and vibrancy as Nashville, but good enough.
Atlanta has MidTown and Atlantic Station which neither of the other two have anything similar

Nashville also has a very nice Gulch district which Charlotte's Sotuhend is similar to, but not as vibrant (but that could change in the near future).
Charlotte has the best intown neighborhood, IMO
Atlanta overall has the best offerings, suburbs, amenities and transport. Neither Nashville nor Charlotte has an area like an Alpharetta.
I'm not sure how Alpharetta is especially unique, although it is a nice and generally modern suburban area. Franklin near Nashville, or the Ballantyne area of south Charlotte are very similar in terms of being prosperous suburbs with a substantial high-end retail and office presence.

In metro Atlanta, the area of central DeKalb County is more distinctive - including the city of Decatur and unincorporated Druid Hills around Emory University and the CDC complex. This is a very popular inner suburban area where some of the metro's top cultural amenities are located, and little of the "cookie cutter" development found outside the I-285 Perimeter.

Old 04-25-2019, 01:42 PM

17,245 posts, read 15,446,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentIpromise View Post
Just came back from Atlanta last week. Midtown is huge! It blows the Charlotte and Nashville comparison out by a mile! Am I missing something??
My impression of it as well, especially after I actually STAYED there during my last visit.

Old 04-25-2019, 01:46 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,423,461 times
Quote:
Lmao.

Honestly, that’s what I’ve been saying in relation to Charlotte/Nashville. Like Midtown isn’t HUGE HUGE, but with Downtown, Georgia Tech, and Midtown, it provides a bit of fluency and connectivity that makes it feel larger than what it is.

Modcut: removed off-topic comments

Last edited by JMT; 04-25-2019 at 05:30 PM..

Old 04-25-2019, 10:13 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,549,426 times
Having stayed in all three within the past five months, I was most pleasantly surprised by Nashville, then Midtown Atlanta, then Charlotte. I mean, Charlotte was fine, but it still felt like a larger version of the one-dimensional banking town that I always remembered.

BTW, I really would have liked more transit options in Nashville -- not just to be able to explore beyond the immediate environs, but more to provide an organizing structure for the area. Transit's not just about getting people to places, over time it draws places towards people. The analogy I make sometimes is about art museums around LA: before there was a subway, new museums would open up any which where some rich folks wanted one. Now that there is a subway (even one that only a small proportion of locals use), all of the new museums are opening up atop it, and some are even moving towards it.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:51 PM

37,897 posts, read 42,015,677 times
Quote:
I can definitely understand Midtown Atlanta being #1 in this match-up but it's somewhat difficult to see how it blows the competition out by a mile. Have you ever visited the other two?

Old 04-26-2019, 10:46 AM

124 posts, read 102,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I can definitely understand Midtown Atlanta being #1 in this match-up but it's somewhat difficult to see how it blows the competition out by a mile. Have you ever visited the other two?
Yes. I wouldn't have commented if I had not. I was in DT Nashville in October for a week long conference (seems to be the new hotspot for conferences). Got a chance to check out DT Charlotte All-star weekend. In fairness, both Charlotte and Nashville have excellent developing and evolving downtown's. However, Midtown Atlanta's almost seem-less flow into both downtown ATL and the high density portion of the Buckhead neighborhood makes it massively larger than Charlotte and Nashville.

I know you could argue that the comparison is with Midtown only, but in all fairness its kind of difficult when the transition is so fluid. I'm in no way an Atlanta booster, but I hadn't been there in about 4 years and was very impressed with the Midtown/downtown development.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:51 AM

17,245 posts, read 15,446,776 times
Quote:
Yes. I wouldn't have commented if I had not. I was in DT Nashville in October for a week long conference (seems to be the new hotspot for conferences). Got a chance to check out DT Charlotte All-star weekend. In fairness, both Charlotte and Nashville have excellent developing and evolving downtown's. However, Midtown Atlanta's almost seem-less flow into both downtown ATL and the high density portion of the Buckhead neighborhood makes it massively larger than Charlotte and Nashville.

I know you could argue that the comparison is with Midtown only, but in all fairness its kind of difficult when the transition is so fluid. I'm in no way an Atlanta booster, but I hadn't been there in about 4 years and was very impressed with the Midtown/downtown development.
I agree with this. Midtown blends pretty seamlessly into downtown. The only thing dividing them is the Connector, and even then, there are plenty of walkways across that.

They've done a particularly good job with the Civic Center, to the point one can almost forget that the Connector runs directly below. It's a metro station and bus stop sitting directly on top of it. One direction is Midtown, the other Downtown.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7663...7i16384!8i8192
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City