Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 10:31 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
THE LAND AREA OF URBAN ATLANTA IS ALMOST DOUBLE (1.7×) THAT OF HOUSTON BUT HAS LESS POPULATION?????????
I know these 3 metro areas all have a large population HOWEVER. The population differs depending on weather you refer to METRO area or CSA. THE URBAN AREA POPULATION "AND LAND SIZE" ARE THE 2 MOST IMPORTANT.
Did you know that Durant Oklahoma ( 120 miles away from Fort Worth) is counted into D-F-W population. But Beaumont (89 miles away) is left out of Houstons population???? That's 400k people.
Durant being included into DFW CSA is dumb. So no good point there. There is also 60 miles approx between Beaumont and Channelview, Baytown, and a rural county. It should not be included to prop up Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 03:10 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
THE LAND AREA OF URBAN ATLANTA IS ALMOST DOUBLE (1.7×) THAT OF HOUSTON BUT HAS LESS POPULATION?????????
I know these 3 metro areas all have a large population HOWEVER. The population differs depending on weather you refer to METRO area or CSA. THE URBAN AREA POPULATION "AND LAND SIZE" ARE THE 2 MOST IMPORTANT.
Did you know that Durant Oklahoma ( 120 miles away from Fort Worth) is counted into D-F-W population. But Beaumont (89 miles away) is left out of Houstons population???? That's 400k people.
Time to annex?

And how is Atlanta's land area almost double Houston's?

Old 09-07-2019, 04:53 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,088,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Time to annex?

And how is Atlanta's land area almost double Houston's?
His/her number is off. The land area of the Atlanta Urban Area (which is what I assume he/she meant by Urban Atlanta) is only 50% larger than that of Houston, not 70%.

http://www.demographia.com/db-worldua.pdf

Old 09-08-2019, 05:10 PM

1,168 posts, read 776,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonhun View Post
His/her number is off. The land area of the Atlanta Urban Area (which is what I assume he/she meant by Urban Atlanta) is only 50% larger than that of Houston, not 70%.

http://www.demographia.com/db-worldua.pdf
Honestly doesn't feel like it, though. You can be on the outskirts of Atlanta's urban area and wouldn't even know it because all you see in either direction is woods. It sprawls like crazy out there, but I definitely think the trees make up for that.

Old 09-08-2019, 08:50 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,354,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
And we don't hear people in Dallas or Austin saying Houston is cooler. Nothing in Houston like the strip on Cedar Springs, Deep Ellum, Bishop Arts, etc.
Actually there is ...The Heights, Washington Ave, and lower Westheimer.. I live in metro DFW and am a Houston native.

Old 09-08-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
eh, I think the city of Dallas and it's enclaves have the right amount, when you get out in the burbs, those areas could use more natural greenery in areas. If Dallas had a denser forest canopy, that would affect our city layout and future infill growth. I think Houston is a good mix of the two and has a great mix of flora.
Dallas/FW can never have what ATL has in terms of tree cover but of the metro's location which naturally gets less rainfall and has some prairie aspects. HOWEVER, what ATL lacks that D/FW benefits from is the ability to join a lot more water recreation. The area has 8 or 9 lakes of size within 75 miles vs. two for Atlanta.

Old 09-08-2019, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
I'd agree with this having lived in both Dallas and Atlanta and having frequently visited Houston. I think all three cities have a lot of similarities but stand out in different ways. I would say Houston is the only one that is a city that exists for a reason (proximity to a port/sea) Both Atlanta and Dallas feel like they were created randomly by accident, especially Dallas. Dallas feels much more suburban than Houston. It doesn't feel like a larger city approaching 7.5 million people. I guess you can attribute that somewhat to the fact that DFW is really two separate cities Dallas and Fort Worth that were combined into one metro area through sprawl.
Let's also remember Houston has been able over the past 50 years to expand its boundaries via annexation of major unincorporated enclaves like Clear Lake City and Kingwood. The city itself is 660 square miles vs 386 square miles for Dallas. So an overlay of Houston's boundaries with those of Dallas/FW, one would find the latter cities are actually not so far away and Houston from one end to the next could be just as sprawled.

Old 09-08-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
Miami and New Orleans are flat and humid, so that wouldn't be the reason.

Houston's problem is its lack of a real urban core. Relatively speaking, it probably has the worst downtown there is, and the overall layout of the city makes all the driving you have to do less than enjoyable. Dallas and Atlanta may have less amenities, but they're more user friendly IMO.
DFW has more amenities than either Houston and Dallas. I have lived in all three. D/FW because of its twin sister setup has double of many things. Houston's zoo is small at 55 acres. Dallas has the largest zoo in the state. Fort Worth's zoo has the best reputation in the southwest. Both FW and Dallas have large museum districts. FW is opening a 14,000 seat area in November. So now D/FW has two arenas of 14,000 seats or more. DFW opened a new amphitheater two yeas ago seating 8,000 sponsored by Toyota. A new opera house and an intimate arts theatre in 2008, both sponsored by ATT. The MLS stadium opened too about 10 years ago as did the Cowboys stadium. Now the MLB Texas Rangers move to a new stadium next Spring in Arlington. Finally, the original Six Flags Amusement Park is in the metro DFW area. D/FW has ALL five major league sports franchises which Atlanta and Houston do not. Plus, the area has several minor league baseball teams and regularly hosts but Division 1 kick-off game, the Cotton Bowl, the FBS college championship game (Four years running), two PGA events, the SWAC College Basketball tourney, and annually, the Prairie View vs. Grambling football game. Also the State Fair of Texas is annually in Dallas, the largest fair by far in the country.

Houston has the Arena theatre, a newer facility in Sugarland holding under 10,000, the Woods Pavilion in the Woodlands and the Toyota Center that opened about 10 years ago downtown. But Houston lost its amusement park over ten yeas ago. They have 4 of the five Pro sports leagues (including soccer) with its own facility. Houston/Galveston has a Mardi Gras annually though not of the scale of New Orleans. Houston also hosts the largest Livestock Show and Rodeo in the U.S. annually and of course, has the Johnson Manned Space Center. Houston got a new performing arts center, Hobby, this century.

My recollection is Atlanta has built a new arena of about 10,000 in Gwinnett this decade but what else? The area lost a NHL team for the second time in its history. The area has a great music fest but I always found the museum offerings wanting. I honestly never saw the philanthropy there I've seen in DFW or Houston when It comes to cultural facilities. Arthur Blank has been the one great exception with funding for the Georgia Aquarium and helping get the MB stadium.

Old 09-08-2019, 09:57 PM

340 posts, read 320,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post

My recollection is Atlanta has built a new arena of about 10,000 in Gwinnett this decade but what else? The area lost a NHL team for the second time in its history. The area has a great music fest but I always found the museum offerings wanting. I honestly never saw the philanthropy there I've seen in DFW or Houston when It comes to cultural facilities. Arthur Blank has been the one great exception with funding for the Georgia Aquarium and helping get the MB stadium.
You are severely wrong on the Atlanta front. The High Museum is one of the best art museums in the enitre southeast, and it just received a massive donation that will only add to its prestige. You also have museums such as the Delta Flight Museum, Center for Puppetry Arts, Alliance Theatre, the Fox Theatre, Michael C. Carlos Museum, etc. Atlanta is definitely not short in any museum department compared to Dallas and Houston.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/27/a...anta-gift.html

You have MB stadium which houses the NFL and MLS. Phillips Arena has undergone a 200 million dollar renovation, and you have Suntrust Park which was just built recently.

The GA Aquarium is undergoing a massive renovation along with Zoo Atlanta.
https://www.georgiaaquarium.org/expansion-2020/
https://www.ajc.com/news/zoo-atlanta...aBM9FwgqBQ6H/#

Infinite Energy Center (seats 13K) has just begun renovations to update its facilities and enhance its campus. You have the National Center for Civil and Human rights which was completed in 2014 on land given by CocaCola.

For your comment about philanthropy, Atlanta has multiple families and organizations that contribute greatly to the city. Even if Atlanta "theoretically" has less philanthropy than Dallas and Houston, it is not by a large amount.

Old 09-09-2019, 06:20 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric 0_0 View Post
You are severely wrong on the Atlanta front. The High Museum is one of the best art museums in the enitre southeast, and it just received a massive donation that will only add to its prestige. You also have museums such as the Delta Flight Museum, Center for Puppetry Arts, Alliance Theatre, the Fox Theatre, Michael C. Carlos Museum, etc. Atlanta is definitely not short in any museum department compared to Dallas and Houston.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/27/a...anta-gift.html

You have MB stadium which houses the NFL and MLS. Phillips Arena has undergone a 200 million dollar renovation, and you have Suntrust Park which was just built recently.

The GA Aquarium is undergoing a massive renovation along with Zoo Atlanta.
https://www.georgiaaquarium.org/expansion-2020/
https://www.ajc.com/news/zoo-atlanta...aBM9FwgqBQ6H/#

Infinite Energy Center (seats 13K) has just begun renovations to update its facilities and enhance its campus. You have the National Center for Civil and Human rights which was completed in 2014 on land given by CocaCola.

For your comment about philanthropy, Atlanta has multiple families and organizations that contribute greatly to the city. Even if Atlanta "theoretically" has less philanthropy than Dallas and Houston, it is not by a large amount.
Also College Park is getting a new arena built for its NBA D-League team and this is something pretty innovative happening in Atlanta right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City