Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2019, 05:18 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times

Advertisements

Interesting. I knew zydeco is big in Louthern Louisiana and Southeast Texas. Didn’t realize Houston had that much influence to the point of origin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 06:59 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,297,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Very nice aerial. I wish Dallas had a little bit of Atlanta’s foliage.
eh, I think the city of Dallas and it's enclaves have the right amount, when you get out in the burbs, those areas could use more natural greenery in areas. If Dallas had a denser forest canopy, that would affect our city layout and future infill growth. I think Houston is a good mix of the two and has a great mix of flora.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:05 PM

6,693 posts, read 9,937,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
eh, I think the city of Dallas and it's enclaves have the right amount, when you get out in the burbs, those areas could use more natural greenery in areas. If Dallas had a denser forest canopy, that would affect our city layout and future infill growth. I think Houston is a good mix of the two and has a great mix of flora.
There are large portions of Dallas where a dense canopy is needed. In higher end neighborhoods, people are able to plant and maintain lush landscapes. The same cannot be said for middle to lower income areas of Dallas. Even portions of Downtown could use more trees. It would be very benfical during the summer.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:26 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,769,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Interesting. I knew zydeco is big in Louthern Louisiana and Southeast Texas. Didn’t realize Houston had that much influence to the point of origin.
Yes. That’s why I also research things because you never how information plays out. People from New Orleans who move to Houston say that they have never heard of zydeco until moving to Houston; they associate zydeco with Houston, as well as boudin balls.

Old 02-21-2019, 06:57 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
You get plenty of both in Houston and I've heard both on the streets and from friends. I don't see it as different than Dallas in that regard. It's more recent in history but that's because rap has risen in popularity in Mexico and counties south of there. What IS different from Dallas is the fact that there are more Hispanics in Houston that do rap in typical Houston style. This comes from how integrated both communities have been in the city for decades, especially in the South Park and Southwest-side neighborhoods. Which Dallas rappers sound like Memphis rappers? In my opinion, you can easily tell they are from Texas. The drawl and the way they rap is different from Memphis but I can definitely see why you'd say that. I will say that rappers from the Fort Worth side sound more like new school Houston rappers.

It's always amazed me that Dallas rappers never stuck. With every generation, Houston produces new rappers that end up influencing pop culture. Today it's Travis Scott and Sauce Walka. It's amazing to see everyone say "drip" and "sauce" nowadays because they've been saying it in Houston for years. Now Cardi B and Bruno Mars have songs about it. In Dallas, none have really been able to catch on like that. Yella Beezy being the closest but he's even fading.

And the last bolded line is your answer. Just because Houston was one of the top 5 cities that most influenced the rap/hip-hop genre (which bleeds into pop now) doesn't mean it didn't also have a diverse music scene. Yes I agree that Dallas has a bigger metal/rock/punk scene. Curious, how big are the shows from that metal band when they play in Dallas? I don't know how much better the Country is. EDM is pretty equal in my opinion and Houston has had large fests for a long time.

They seem to be about even, it's just Dallas doesn't a large influence in any particular genre and each city favors 2-3 genres that the other doesn't.
Ill take it in pieces.

1) EDM is unquestionably bigger Dallas. Yes there are festivals in Houston, but the DJ talent that has come out of Dallas along with the fact that EDM is arguably one of the three most popular genres in Dallas make it bigger there. A lot more people in Dallas are into EDM than Houston. Dallas used to be one of only two cities that hosted the Electric Daisy Carnival (the largest EDM festival in the US) until the promoters poorly planned it once and two people died from dehydration (heat and drugs). The city banned it after that. My friends who are in Houston who are into EDM constantly make trips to Dallas to party. When I lived in Dallas, I didn't know one person who would come to Houston to go to an EDM event.

2) Houston has a better punk scene. Houston gave us bands like D.R.I (who is basically one of the founding fathers of the genre), Pasadena Napalm Squad, and Culturcide. Houston, at one time, arguably had one the best punk scenes away from the West Coast. Its died down a lot but it was actually quite influential at one time.

3) Dallas does have a better metal scene and gave us bands like Pantera, Thy Antichrist (who was originally from Colombia but moved to Dallas to be a part of the scene there), Drowning Pool, Absu, Devourment, and Hellyeah. The metal trend in Dallas right now is actually a very interesting one: its a combo of gore metal, blasphemy, and Satan worship. Its fueling some solid local bands there. Regarding crowds up there, Id say on average when we've played there, we get about 50 people showing up providing we pair with a decently well known local band.

4) Yes there are Hispanic rappers in Houston that rap in Spanish. The difference is most Hispanic rappers in Houston rap in English. A larger portion of Hispanic rappers in Dallas rap in Spanish. You're correct that it probably has to do with the fact that Houston is more integrated and that rap in Houston has a very distinct sound. Honestly, the Mexican rappers in Dallas that do rap in Spanish sound better than the ones in Houston that do the same. Traditional Houston style just doesn't sound good in Spanish IMO because its too slow. Dallas doesn't really have a "style" of rap, so the artists do what sounds better (which in Spanish is to rap faster). When I say that they sound more like Memphis rappers, it has to do with the tone of the music more than the rapper themselves. Memphis rap is especially violent, graphic, and angry. You see a lot of that in Dallas rap especially among Mexican rappers. Houston rap is a lot more chill and you don't get so much violence and anger from it.

5) As far as country goes, Dallas by itself isn't really into it. However, having Fort Worth next door kinda pushes it over the top IMO. I can only speak to whats popular since I hate country music.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:46 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Ill take it in pieces.

1) EDM is unquestionably bigger Dallas. Yes there are festivals in Houston, but the DJ talent that has come out of Dallas along with the fact that EDM is arguably one of the three most popular genres in Dallas make it bigger there. A lot more people in Dallas are into EDM than Houston. Dallas used to be one of only two cities that hosted the Electric Daisy Carnival (the largest EDM festival in the US) until the promoters poorly planned it once and two people died from dehydration (heat and drugs). The city banned it after that. My friends who are in Houston who are into EDM constantly make trips to Dallas to party. When I lived in Dallas, I didn't know one person who would come to Houston to go to an EDM event.
Yeah I still wouldn't say that. I didn't know anyone in Houston that went to EDM festivals in Dallas. EDC has had many more locations in the US than just Vegas and Dallas too. Houston has also had Something Wicked (and variations of it) for years and many low-key shows that take place. Go look at EDM event schedules right now and you'll see that Houston and Dallas are pretty equal, with Austin leading the three.

Quote:
4) Yes there are Hispanic rappers in Houston that rap in Spanish. The difference is most Hispanic rappers in Houston rap in English. A larger portion of Hispanic rappers in Dallas rap in Spanish. You're correct that it probably has to do with the fact that Houston is more integrated and that rap in Houston has a very distinct sound. Honestly, the Mexican rappers in Dallas that do rap in Spanish sound better than the ones in Houston that do the same. Traditional Houston style just doesn't sound good in Spanish IMO because its too slow. Dallas doesn't really have a "style" of rap, so the artists do what sounds better (which in Spanish is to rap faster). When I say that they sound more like Memphis rappers, it has to do with the tone of the music more than the rapper themselves. Memphis rap is especially violent, graphic, and angry. You see a lot of that in Dallas rap especially among Mexican rappers. Houston rap is a lot more chill and you don't get so much violence and anger from it.
Houston rap has always been pretty violent and graphic. There is of course a lot of chill vibes with the slowed down music and Screw tapes, but even in those Screw tapes there's a lot of pretty graphic freestyles/songs from local rappers. A lot of times they were just showboating on the tape, but still there. I think the new wave of Houston rap that started in the early to mid-00s is what stereotyped it some. Travis Scott's albums are all just good vibes. But you can go to other new rappers in Houston like Maxo Kream, Sauce Walka, or Peso Peso (who is one those Mexicans rapping in English) and hear something completely different. Maxo Kream especially is very good with the storytelling and visuals. His flow may sound like he's from Houston, but his content/delivery is classic storytelling rap.

Quote:
5) As far as country goes, Dallas by itself isn't really into it. However, having Fort Worth next door kinda pushes it over the top IMO. I can only speak to whats popular since I hate country music.
Yeah I can see this.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:31 AM

Honestly man, any suggestion that EDM is as big in Houston as it is in Dallas is at best uneducated. Unless you’ve actually lived in Dallas, it’s gonna be hard for you to objectively compare the two.

I really dont mean that as disrespectful, but Dallas was one of biggest EDM cities in the country especially in the 90s through the 2000s. I’m just going to assume you just don’t know about the scene there.

[url]https://djmag.com/content/dallas-electro-unlikely-story-hard-hitting-texan-underground

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.texasmonthly.com/the-culture/revisiting-the-dallas-club-that-gave-rise-to-raves/amp/

Last edited by As Above So Below...; 02-21-2019 at 10:45 AM..

Old 02-21-2019, 11:04 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,344 times
Quote:
Hate Country .... I'm not fond of Rap. I accept it. Don't say I hate it. But Rock more Country in the mood as changing FM radio in my car has me appreciate it much. I'd rather Dance-Club music over Rap by far. Just rare on the regular FM line-up where 80s to today formats becoming more common by me too. Of course, I'm not young.

But it seems the major cities of the South push Country aside as noted in a few threads and it is the claims more and more .... that Rap is King now in the Big Metros. Guess two Texas's today even more then up North between city and more rural areas.

Old 02-21-2019, 11:10 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,766 times
Quote:
Honestly man, any suggestion that EDM is as big in Houston as it is in Dallas is at best uneducated. Unless you’ve actually lived in Dallas, it’s gonna be hard for you to objectively compare the two.

I really dont mean that as disrespectful, but Dallas was one of biggest EDM cities in the country especially in the 90s through the 2000s. I’m just going to assume you just don’t know about the scene there.

[url]https://djmag.com/content/dallas-electro-unlikely-story-hard-hitting-texan-underground

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.texasmonthly.com/the-culture/revisiting-the-dallas-club-that-gave-rise-to-raves/amp/
I could have easily said the same about your rap statements, but chose to remain respectful.

You have not disproved my point at all about EDM and I've lived in both cities. Maybe in the past Dallas was a bit larger, but that's been shortened as millennials have grown up and multiple EDM fests have been held in Houston annually.

Old 02-21-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
I could have easily said the same about your rap statements, but chose to remain respectful.

You have not disproved my point at all about EDM and I've lived in both cities. Maybe in the past Dallas was a bit larger, but that's been shortened as millennials have grown up and multiple EDM fests have been held in Houston annually.
My rap statements are opinions and I’ll gladly differ to your expertise in the area of rap. You clearly know more about that genre and I can see that.

You’re one of the very few people who thinks Houston can go toe to toe with Dallas on EDM and every other person who has held that opinion that I’ve met is from Houston. No one I’ve ever encountered from outside the area ever thought that. You can’t ignore what Dallas has given to that genre. Dallas practically invited the rave and did invinte the party drugs that were made with the rave in mind. I never said Houston didn’t any EDM events, but Dallas has an answer for everyone and then some.

https://djmag.com/content/dallas-ele...an-underground

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tex...-to-raves/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vic...ig-edm-capital

I feel like you’re purposely ignoring the history of the genre as well. Dallas is no Chicago or Detroit, but it was instrumental in the genre.

It’s equally head scratching that you thought Dallas has a better punk scene. Houston was one of the great punk cities nationwide in the 80s and 90s. Like Dallas with EDM, Houston was very instrumental in punk music.

https://www.cvltnation.com/portraits...he-80′s/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hou...ock-scene/amp/

Of course Dallas isn’t as big an EDM hub as it once was nor is Houston for punk, but they were instrumental in the genres for darn sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City