Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2019, 09:49 AM

6,693 posts, read 9,939,641 times

Advertisements

Here’s a recent video of Downtown/Uptown Dallas. I gotta give credit to dallasboi for posting this video first in the Texas Forum.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=j21ANbeTIfE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 09:57 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
The Creoles brought La La music to Houston. In Houston, the music developed into Zydeco, which is blended with Blues and R&B.
Do you have a source on that. Everything that I’ve known about Zydeco is that it was created in Louisiana.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:31 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,067,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Austin has no country music presence. Not modern country anyway.
I meant more in the live music capital of the world sense. They might not produce any but they sure do host a ton.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:56 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Here’s a recent video of Downtown/Uptown Dallas. I gotta give credit to dallasboi for posting this video first in the Texas Forum.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=j21ANbeTIfE
Nice!

Here is Atlanta's (it's honestly one of my favorites in NA)

Ignore the terrible music and cheesy captions.

Old 02-20-2019, 12:36 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinytr View Post
Do you honestly believe rap music has raised Atlanta's brand image throughout the world? Hey I like rap music too but the whole thing is kinda like an inside joke that Atlanta apparently doesn't get. Those lyrics damage young people much more than they inspire them, and any sensible person can see that.
Generally Hollywood is more violent and sexually than most rap music. Horror is literally a whole film genre centers around violence itself, there nothing NWA can say that measure up to the violence in a Saw film, And nothing more sexual to come a Luke record that worst than American pie or many other comedies. So I find interesting how people can critical of some lyrics then turn around watch films and etc with more out there content.

Can you imagine telling people play video games or watch family guy that it "damage young people much more than they inspire them, and any sensible person can see that." no.... only a person who is prejudice or lack common sense would think most people can't tell the difference from reality and entertainment. The only thing most people who listen to rap music are "inspire" to do is dance.

but here another angle lets take Jazz for example today Jazz is look at as all American and even highbrow historic genre but that's not how it was view before the mid 1920s. The genre was criticize by many white critics fearing it Africanizing white America and even by some black elites who viewed its a back step for blacks. There was a transition into it being more accepted. Also there a reversion of the start of Jazz, part of Jazz origins comes from red light districts like New Orleans storyville. Very early on Jazz paieers like jelly roll morton started there. Jazz, then Rock & Roll, than Hip hop pushed boundaries social in entertainment, that generation before viewed as wild.

Old 02-20-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Not everyone in the US is into the music that, apparently, comes out of Atlanta. That's a fairly specific age group, and there are a LOT of us, who couldn't care less about that. People on this Forum are always talking about that, but maybe that's pretty much all Atlanta has to talk about? Anyway, so not a big deal, at least to anyone I know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Most of what you have written might mean something to some, but to me, it's all Greek. I watch basketball, but the Bucks games are usually carried by Fox Sports WI. The music, has come, and will go...that's what music does. Atlanta is not a city that matters to me, and I have a friend who lived there, whose husband worked for Turner, who moved back to WI, because they didn't like it there. He's still with them, but works from home, and goes to Atlanta every month, or so. My daughter and her husband have had business in Atlanta several times, and dread each time they have to go back. Not sure what that's about. Anyway, to each, his own. Glad you're happy there, but it's just not on my radar.

It's not one genre Atlanta large history in Rock n roll, R&B, gospel and etc.

But question at had isn't about your specific interest, it's about general popularity, just cause your not into hip hop doesn't change hip hop is popular, Since 2009 most of the Soul train and BET Hip hop Awards where shot in Atlanta. Also a few years back there was a study that took all genres and all cities in North American to see what city was influencing most listeners Atlanta came out at number one at that monument. I posted this before so regardless of what you like this is what came out overall popular.

https://cdn.citylab.com/media/img/ci...raphic-600.jpg

And not just music, Atlanta was already viewed as black Hollywood even before tax because of the TV shows and films shot in Atlanta but since Georgia has tax credit that lead the state to be 3 in film productions, more than other states that has tax credit as well. Countless films and TV shows has been shot and set in Metro Atlanta.

How Georgia Became the Hollywood of the South: TIME Goes Behind the Scenes

Hollywood of the south: Atlanta's film industry is building its own mini-city

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/8c/36...1d892dabf4.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 02-21-2019 at 09:13 AM..

Old 02-20-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Oh I wanna play:

Which one feels the largest? Houston
Most expansive? DFW
Most built up? Houston
Most hustle and bustle? Atlanta or Houston
Home away from home? Atlanta (reminded me of Houston but with a bunch of hills and more dense greenery)
Most potential? Houston (can do most of everything DFW/ATL can, but it also a seaport)
You can't mountain hike in Houston

Old 02-20-2019, 01:26 PM

6,693 posts, read 9,939,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Nice!

Here is Atlanta's (it's honestly one of my favorites in NA)

Ignore the terrible music and cheesy captions.

Very nice aerial. I wish Dallas had a little bit of Atlanta’s foliage.

Old 02-20-2019, 01:55 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,957,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
You can't mountain hike in Houston
But the flat terrain in Houston makes regular recreational biking so much easier!

Old 02-20-2019, 04:05 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,770,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Do you have a source on that. Everything that I’ve known about Zydeco is that it was created in Louisiana.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chr...as-1853614.php

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hou...e-13284729.php
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City