Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best food in the Northeast after NYC
Boston 19 17.43%
Philadelphia 55 50.46%
Baltimore 7 6.42%
Washington DC 28 25.69%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 06:45 AM

14,029 posts, read 15,041,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
To tie these two things together:

I recently read a comment somewhere by a Philadelphian who went into a shop in some Southwestern US city that listed "Philadelphia cheesesteaks" on the menu.

When the person asked the waiter what made these sandwiches "Philly cheesesteaks," the waiter responded, "We only use Philadelphia cream cheese!"

The Philadelphian promptly left. As he should have.

I went to a sandwich shop in Berkeley, Calif., that advertised that it sold "Philly cheesesteaks and hoagies."

It then defined a "hoagie" on the menu board as a "hot oven toasted sandwich."

Trust me, no, not anyone can make a cheesesteak -- or a hoagie, for that matter.

My own rule of thumb is: Anyplace that states publicly that it serves "Philly cheesesteaks" doesn't.

To date, I've run across only one exception to this rule.
I mean I’ve had a steak and cheese that was just as good as a cheesesteak. But they also don’t try to brand it that way.

A Cheesesteak is pretty objectively easy to recreate. Buffalloians are the same way with wings they pretend they have some specialty when it’s super easy to make good hot wings.

Regional cuisine that’s hard to recreate are based on 1) local ingredients like Lobster or crab that’s hard to get outside the region or 2. A complex recipe like Gumbo that takes years to refine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 07:00 AM

14,192 posts, read 9,089,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Philly chesesteaks are way better in Philly, with cheese whiz. Problem is they don't make them greasy enough anymore.
Personally, I prefer the places that use American and melt it into the chopped steak, but that's a matter of taste. I can do Whiz too.

The one exception I've found to my rule is a place in the Crossroads district of my hometown of Kansas City.

The menu boasts that it serves "Original Philly" cheesesteaks, with this legend below that title:

"Voted Best Cheesesteak West of the Mississippi"

After having one, I believe that they did get that honor.

One possible reason why: the waiter told me that this place has the rolls flown in from Amoroso Baking Company.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:07 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,349,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
I don't know if that was exactly the point being made. Regardless of whether NYC is better than other 4 cities, the comparison would be difficult just because of the extra exposure and publicity that NYC restaurants get compared to the others. A great restaurant in Boston or Philly could easily fly under the radar, whereas the same restaurant in NYC would be on all the headlines.
Very true, some of the hottest restaurants in Manhattan are operated by Philadelphia restaurants, yet that piece of info is brushed over in the "rave review"

And I am not saying NYC blows the others away, but there is an overall sizable gap in the culinary scene, just from my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenses & Lights. View Post
Uh......No they can't.
Agreed. And I think a big thing people tend to brush over with Hoagies and Cheesesteaks is the bread! Rolls in Philadelphia are far superior than the sponge bread you may find at any old deli or restaurant.

I have had good cheesesteaks elsewhere, but its not as simple as saying any old place can make a good one.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Personally, I prefer the places that use American and melt it into the chopped steak, but that's a matter of taste. I can do Whiz too.

The one exception I've found to my rule is a place in the Crossroads district of my hometown of Kansas City.

The menu boasts that it serves "Original Philly" cheesesteaks, with this legend below that title:

"Voted Best Cheesesteak West of the Mississippi"

After having one, I believe that they did get that honor.

One possible reason why: the waiter told me that this place has the rolls flown in from Amoroso Baking Company.
Cleavers in Center City melts the cheese on top, which I love as well. Everyone I take there from outside of Philadelphia says the cheesesteaks (and the bread) are the best they have ever had.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:17 AM

14,192 posts, read 9,089,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Agreed. And I think a big thing people tend to brush over with Hoagies and Cheesesteaks is the bread! Rolls in Philadelphia are far superior than the sponge bread you may find at any old deli or restaurant.
The bread really does matter. I think that's the main reason the cheesesteaks at Grinders in KC were as good as they were.

Those chain places that bake their bread on the premises from pre-proofed dough, like Subway and now Wawa, usually use inferior dough recipes that produce sub-par rolls even if they are fresh from the oven.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:40 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,357,901 times
If we're adding onto the cheesesteak discussion, before I lived in Philly, I used to love the cheesesteak from Papa Jakes Sub Shop in the Grove Farmer's Market in LA. I haven't had one yet since after living in Philly, but I remember them being good lol I'll report back if I go next time I'm in LA.

Old 04-11-2019, 09:41 AM

6,812 posts, read 4,257,270 times
I like cheese steaks, and Ive had them at some of the recommended places in Philly...but if thats the best food you ever had you need to broaden your horizons a bit. Im no food snob, but its meat on bread ie a food combination extremely common in Western cultures and made in tons of local variations. A lot of them being traditional, local ‘man on the street’ favorites. And indeed most of them are tasty and good recommendations for visitors. But they tend to be more an expression of local color and flavor than genuine highlights of culinary expertise. Locals proudly proclaim their superiority the same way they proudly rep the local sports teams. New arrivals/transplants embrace them to showcase their actual ‘arrival’ in a cultural sense; visitors talk about them to highlight just how great their trip was. I mean really without being too demeaning..cheesesteaks are basically to Philly what In’n’Out is to California.

Old 04-11-2019, 10:55 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,579,737 times
Quote:
I don't know if that was exactly the point being made. Regardless of whether NYC is better than other 4 cities, the comparison would be difficult just because of the extra exposure and publicity that NYC restaurants get compared to the others. A great restaurant in Boston or Philly could easily fly under the radar, whereas the same restaurant in NYC would be on all the headlines.
yeah i think sometimes persons give an automatic w to n.y.c. just because it is the largest city. there is a thread on here about what city has the best pizza and a few of the respondents mentioned that pizza was invented in new york city.

Old 04-11-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I like cheese steaks, and Ive had them at some of the recommended places in Philly...but if thats the best food you ever had you need to broaden your horizons a bit. Im no food snob, but its meat on bread ie a food combination extremely common in Western cultures and made in tons of local variations. A lot of them being traditional, local ‘man on the street’ favorites. And indeed most of them are tasty and good recommendations for visitors. But they tend to be more an expression of local color and flavor than genuine highlights of culinary expertise. Locals proudly proclaim their superiority the same way they proudly rep the local sports teams. New arrivals/transplants embrace them to showcase their actual ‘arrival’ in a cultural sense; visitors talk about them to highlight just how great their trip was. I mean really without being too demeaning..cheesesteaks are basically to Philly what In’n’Out is to California.
Where did anyone mention that cheesesteaks are the best food they have ever had? We are discussing street foods / staple foods and the cheesesteak is Philadelphia's staple street food.

Philadelphia has a far more diverse culinary scene beyond the cheesesteak, hopefully you know that...

And the is 100% false on the last point. The cheesesteak and hoagie are national and international food staples connected to Philadelphia, more comparable to NY Pizza or Chicago deep dish. I have in Greece last summer and saw cafes advertising "Philly Cheesesteak" I have seen signs similar to those all over the world.

In'n'out Burger is a popular burger joint in Cali (mostly LA)... its basically the shack shack of the west coast, so yes that is demeaning, lol.

Old 04-11-2019, 12:01 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,624,113 times
Quote:
They might be more easy to imitate than New England clam chowder or Maryland crab cakes, but the cheesesteaks in Philly are definitely far and away better than any old cheesesteak you'd find at a deli in Utah or wherever.
A Philly Cheesesteak I like to get here is a choice of either chicken or beef sliced into maybe quarter inch thick strips about as long as a slice of bacon and quickly grilled with onions, hatch chili peppers, mushrooms, and some knd of white cheese that is not Swiss or Philadelphia cream and toasted on a 10 or 12 inch long subway style bun. It's delicious and can easily make 2 meals out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City