Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2022, 10:46 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,494,422 times

Advertisements

Orlando and Charlotte are definitely in the same tier. In fact, Orlando might be more similar to Charlotte than any other mentioned cities. Outside of the theme park/tourist attractions (which don’t add population), they’re extremely similar and you can definitely feel it when you’re on the ground in either one.

One thing of note about the overall geographic layout is that Charlotte has satellite cities in almost every direction with no barriers to sprawl. Orlando is geographically constrained to the east and southeast with areas that have almost no population due to environmental protections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2022, 10:19 AM

155 posts, read 127,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Since the 2020 Census, both at the MSA and CSA level, Charlotte has grown faster than Nashville per the latest estimates (1.2% for Charlotte/.92% for Nashville). Over time, and especially since Charlotte is starting from a higher base population, I don't see that as similar growth. While there may be some visual cues that "Nashville is just booming", it's not bearing out in the most recent growth numbers compared to Charlotte, and it's nowhere near what Austin has done since the 2020 Census (2.4%).
I was looking on growth rates from 2010-2020 and Nashville was around 20.5% while Charlotte was at 19%. There really isn’t much of a difference if you’re nitpicking if you’re measuring .30 percent.

Old 05-25-2022, 03:24 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedd90 View Post
I was looking on growth rates from 2010-2020 and Nashville was around 20.5% while Charlotte was at 19%. There really isn’t much of a difference if you’re nitpicking if you’re measuring .30 percent.
That's correct. Nashville grew faster at 20.9%. It is interesting how much growth both cities have undergone. Nashville has actually lost black population as a percentage during the same time, while Hispanic and Foreign born populations have exploded. Charlotte is more diverse and has grown in all ethnic groups. Charlotte has a more agressive plan to deal with affordable housing.

https://www.thecentersquare.com/tenn...d496fec0e.html

https://charlotte.axios.com/269830/t...-more-diverse/

https://charlottenc.gov/HNS/Housing/...s/default.aspx

Old 05-25-2022, 03:45 PM

155 posts, read 127,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
That's correct. Nashville grew faster at 20.9%. It is interesting how much growth both cities have undergone. Nashville has actually lost black population as a percentage during the same time, while Hispanic and Foreign born populations have exploded. Charlotte is more diverse and has grown in all ethnic groups. Charlotte has a more agressive plan to deal with affordable housing.

https://www.thecentersquare.com/tenn...d496fec0e.html

https://charlotte.axios.com/269830/t...-more-diverse/

https://charlottenc.gov/HNS/Housing/...s/default.aspx
Nashville definitely needs a plan for housing prices. On average the entire US has gone up, but the cost of homes in Nashville is almost reaching Midwestern and Northeastern prices.

Old 05-26-2022, 09:10 AM

3,444 posts, read 3,368,937 times
Interesting, to see this data. If a recent post is true Orlando's MSA has slightly more population than Charlotte, I thought Orlando would be ahead in gross domestic product(GDP) vs. Charlotte. I will say I'm surprised Charlotte is ahead of Orlando, when it comes to GDP.

Old 05-26-2022, 09:25 AM

718 posts, read 492,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Interesting, to see this data. If a recent post is true Orlando's MSA has slightly more population than Charlotte, I thought Orlando would be ahead in gross domestic product(GDP) vs. Charlotte. I will say I'm surprised Charlotte is ahead of Orlando, when it comes to GDP.

Not sure the post you are speaking of but Charlotte's metro is actually bigger. Orlando has a slightly bigger csa...

Old 05-26-2022, 09:42 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Why would you be surprised that Charlotte has a higher GDP?

Old 05-26-2022, 01:01 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Why would you be surprised that Charlotte has a higher GDP?
Probably because Orlando has a more diversified economy and high-tech jobs. I was surprised, too.

Old 05-26-2022, 01:59 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Probably because Orlando has a more diversified economy and high-tech jobs. I was surprised, too.
It's still VERY heavy on service industry jobs, which drags it down quite a bit.

Old 05-26-2022, 02:33 PM

718 posts, read 492,580 times
Quote:
Actually Charlotte has the more diversified economy....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City