Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 08:29 AM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
A town of 16,000 people should be overlooked. I'm guessing this one is personal for you.

I've scoured the map for possible relocation to existing offices for my husband's job. Olympia is my top choice. I hope we get there some day. We've done Missoula. I feel like it gets more credit than it deserves. I'd swap it out for Boise.
Nope--not personal. It is a small metropolitan area--well beyond 16,000 people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Isles_of_Georgia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brunswick,_Georgia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 08:36 AM

994 posts, read 501,544 times
Yes, but small metro (or micro) areas naturally overlooked because they are small and there are a ton of them.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:45 AM

4,502 posts, read 4,610,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
No way is Madison overlooked.
I seriously doubt if Madison is thought of too much outside of Wisconsin. About the only times I hear Madison mentioned is in this CD forum or whenever University of Wisconsin happens to be playing a football or basketball game on tv. Otherwise I hear alot more about Milwaukee and Green Bay than Madison.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:50 AM

994 posts, read 501,544 times
Quote:
I seriously doubt if Madison is thought of too much outside of Wisconsin. About the only times I hear Madison mentioned is in this CD forum or whenever University of Wisconsin happens to be playing a football or basketball game on tv. Otherwise I hear alot more about Milwaukee and Green Bay than Madison.
I've never been to WI. Madison has a national reputation for its size as a nice, progressive city.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:35 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
I feel Madison isnt overlooked. If it wasnt in the climate it is in, then I feel Madison would have the chance to be as large and prominent as Knoxville or maybe even Richmond.

Agree with Worcester.. such a beautiful city.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:44 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,056,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I feel Madison isnt overlooked. If it wasnt in the climate it is in, then I feel Madison would have the chance to be as large and prominent as Knoxville or maybe even Richmond.

Agree with Worcester.. such a beautiful city.
I didn't realize there was a gap between them. Knoxville may have a bigger MSA, but I don't think it's more prominent that Madison.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:04 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,510,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
This is pretty good list. Pretty accurate.

Off the top of my head, some more I would add:

Brunswick, GA
Tallahassee, FL
Chattanooga, TN
Huntsville, AL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
A town of 16,000 people should be overlooked. I'm guessing this one is personal for you.
You beat me to saying that Tallahassee. IMO Leon County is criminally overlooked.

As for the poster that answered you, forgive them. Clearly they know not what they speak. Drove your point right on home; didn’t take long.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:16 PM

10,055 posts, read 14,425,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I didn't realize there was a gap between them. Knoxville may have a bigger MSA, but I don't think it's more prominent that Madison.
I think it depends on the region of the US you are in, or from.

Knoxville benefits in popularity a bit moreso I think, due to it being the main gateway airport for the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, and the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge resort area. This raises Knoxville's profile a bit more than Madison, I think.

Also, Knoxville's area is a pretty popular retirement spot too, so it is gaining attention in that area. Add in the University of Tennessee and the Oak Ridge National Laboratory, and generally people know about Knoxville.

Madison is more well known I think within the millenial population and as a university city. Has a superb quality of life from what I've read too, but I think it has a lower profile nationally, than does Knoxville.

Old 05-23-2019, 01:53 PM

5,464 posts, read 3,913,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
https://www.grbj.com/articles/87478-...d-cities-in-us

The 20 Most-Overlooked U.S. Cities

1. Madison, Wisconsin
2. Sacramento, California
3. Athens, Georgia
4. Rochester, New York
5. Tucson, Arizona
6. Jacksonville, Florida
7. Santa Cruz, California
8. Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
9. Galveston, Texas
10. Las Cruces, New Mexico
11. Worcester, Massachusetts
12. Mobile, Alabama
13. Greenville, South Carolina
14. Anchorage, Alaska
15. Olympia, Washington
16. Des Moines, Iowa
17. Missoula, Montana
18. Grand Rapids
19. Springfield, Illinois
20. Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Grand Rapids is the only one that doesn't warrant a clarifying state name? Your Republic of Michigan bias is showing

j/k...I see you copy and pasted the list from the hometown source

Old 05-23-2019, 02:04 PM

5,464 posts, read 3,913,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I agree with Harrisburg.

Its by no means a Philadelphia or Pittsburgh, but the general Harrisburg area is very nice and offers the amenities of a larger city.
I don't really know anything Harrisburg proper, but what I do know is that the drive from Williamsport through the Susquehanna River Valley to Harrisburg is about as depressing a rural drive as one could hope to find in the north...at least, that I've yet found, anyway. The route from Buffalo to DC necessitates that drive and then a skirting of Harrisburg city proper so I never saw Harrisburg itself, but if people were to make that exact drive (along PA SR 15 I believe; would have to google to confirm...might be US 15), they'd be excused for making negative assumptions about Harrisburg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City