Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 09:24 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,576,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Charleston is in my top 5 most over hyped cities in the southeast.

It is definitely not overlooked.
Ahhh, but then there's Charleston WEST VIRGINIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2019, 09:27 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,035,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Ahhh, but then there's Charleston WEST VIRGINIA!
I think the entire state of West Virginia is overlooked.

Old 05-27-2019, 11:30 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,088,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
I think the entire state of West Virginia is overlooked.
It really is. There is some extreme poverty and despair in West Virginia, but a lot of the state is astoundingly beautiful scenery-wise. I found Charleston to be a surprisingly charming, pleasant little city.

Old 06-16-2019, 03:58 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,520,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Is madison really an absolute gem? I've been thetherthethere anand had a good time. But I dont understand the massive hype.
What happened? Lol

Old 06-16-2019, 04:21 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,007,578 times
Providence, RI
Birmingham, AL

Old 06-16-2019, 01:42 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
1. Madison, Wisconsin
2. Sacramento, California
3. Murfreesboro, Tennessee
4. Huntsville, Alabama
5. Fort Worth, Texas
6. Tulsa, Oklahoma
7. Santa Cruz, California
8. Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
9. Lafayette, Indiana
10. Greenville, South Carolina
11. Worcester, Massachusetts
12. Palm Springs, California
13. Providence, Rhode Island
14. Corpus Christie, Texas
15. Olympia, Washington
16. Des Moines, Iowa
17. Columbia, Missouri
18. Grand Rapids, Michigan
19. Franklin, Tennessee
20. Sarasota, Florida

Old 06-16-2019, 01:52 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,412,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I agree with Harrisburg.

Its by no means a Philadelphia or Pittsburgh, but the general Harrisburg area is very nice and offers the amenities of a larger city.

I know someone in New York who had to go to Harrisburg for work for a few months and people were like "omg" "im so sorry" "thats terrible".... as if it were Iraq or bumblebutt Mississippi.

Most of those people knew absolutely nothing about the city or area either.

I think Lancaster PA is another overlooked city, people think its just farms and Amish, its actually a bustling little area.

Hey, don't knock my homewtown (Bumblebutt, Mississippi), you meanie!!

Old 06-16-2019, 05:40 PM

4,520 posts, read 5,093,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I agree with Harrisburg.

Its by no means a Philadelphia or Pittsburgh, but the general Harrisburg area is very nice and offers the amenities of a larger city.

I know someone in New York who had to go to Harrisburg for work for a few months and people were like "omg" "im so sorry" "thats terrible".... as if it were Iraq or bumblebutt Mississippi.

Most of those people knew absolutely nothing about the city or area either.

I think Lancaster PA is another overlooked city, people think its just farms and Amish, its actually a bustling little area.
I agree with Harrisburg. It is a very small city, but definitely a substantial city. And being the seat of PA government, with a lot of satellite, spinoff industry, its daytime population swells well beyond most similar-sized metro areas, in terms of permanent residents.

But it's an interesting, attractive and historic small town. The old core area feels like it's a sliced-off piece of Philadelphia, like parts of Old City and Society Hill along with some historic structures, like Independence Hall, the old Merchant's Bank building and the beautiful old Corn Exchange Bank. There is a trendy old rowhouse, townhome district adjacent to 2nd Ave, the main restaurant/entertainment retail district of Harrisburg. The old time food marketplace is interesting and the location of core Harrisburg along the wide, attractive Susquehanna River enhances the entire city.

And it's compact and walkable. I travel there on business a couple times a year, and the few times I drive, I park the car and don't use it until I'm done. But I usually train over from Philly, which is much better. Trains get there inside 2 hours (about 1hr 45 mins) and the historic Harrisburg train station (now called "Transportation Center") is a few blocks walk from all the downtown hotels, businesses and government offices. A lot of state offices and related functions have moved across the river to Mechanicsburg, but cabs and Uber/Lyft are cheap and available... The recently upgraded, electrified Keystone Amtrak line to Philadelphia and NYC is fast and frequent enough (trains nearly every hour during the week) it's very much like a commuter train -- in fact many state govt workers commute in and out by both car and train ... mainly to nearby towns like Middletown, Elizabethtown and Lancaster, but some as far as Philadelphia and its suburbs, mainly to the west of Philly.

Because of the old architecture, historic, beautiful govt buildings (ie the State Capital and Supreme Court), along with lively 2nd Street and other interesting areas, H-burg is even attractive as a tourist town... and we've taken advantage of its charms. (and tasty Hershey, PA is just down the road!)...

Old 06-16-2019, 05:53 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,448,265 times
Akron Ohio
Dayton Ohio
Youngstown Ohio
Toledo Ohio

Old 06-16-2019, 06:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I seriously doubt if Madison is thought of too much outside of Wisconsin. About the only times I hear Madison mentioned is in this CD forum or whenever University of Wisconsin happens to be playing a football or basketball game on tv. Otherwise I hear alot more about Milwaukee and Green Bay than Madison.
Not so. It (Madison) gets a lot of coverage here in Colorado. And CU doesn't play UWM in sports, so it's not that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City