Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The following city is the most dynamic:
ATLANTA 71 41.28%
DALLAS 38 22.09%
HOUSTON 63 36.63%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 06:33 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,646,071 times

Advertisements

I guess it's a draw between Atlanta an Houston despite the one vote contrast. To me I just see more going on in Atlanta but I am partial. It would be good if someone can link a Access Houston type of site. If anyone want to know what's going on in Atlanta just get on the AJC website and click entertainment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 07:17 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoFan View Post
Soulja Boy is not from Atlanta he's from Chicago and I think he spent more time in Alabama than he did Atlanta. When we draft Matt Ryan we'll be good, give us time though. The point I was making is that we are on a diff level as far as sports goes, we may be down but at least we get to watch the other team's superstar in every sport and we are home to major college sports. I'm not even bragging, yet.
What exactly level are you at? Oh, and you need more than just a new qb.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
And I know alot of Dallasites don't want to hear this... but truthfully, the Cowboys wont belong to Dallas next year since they wont even be playing in the same county. But because "Dallas" is slapped on, I guess they're still a Dallas team.
The Texans are o.k. I wont even mention Vick's old team.
I'm not sure I understand why you mentioned the location part. The Dolphins don't play in Miami. The Redskins don't play in Washington DC, neither the New York Jets or the New York Giants play in New York City.

For Sports
Dallas has the edge in football. They have 5 championships. Both Atlanta and Houston have none. Atlanta has been to one superbowl.
Atlanta has the edge in baseball. They have 1 championship but Houston and DFW has none. Houston has made the WS once though.
Houston has the edge in basketball. They have 2 championships and while Dallas has been the better team over the past year, they still have no championships. They have been to the finals.
Dallas obviously has the edge in hockey.
Houston has the edge in MLS

Dallas is the overall best sports city with more success. Dallas has 6 championships, Houston has 4 championships, Atlanta has 1.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
What is great about foreign residents? I'm sure that most people are content to live the way they have for their lives. Statistics and common sense indicate that more homogeneous cities tend to have less conflict and more social interaction, at least in terms of the white population.

It is seriously odd how so many people act like diversity is a good thing, when all the indicators point to it hurting a city. It's also not what people prefer.
Whatever Scraper Enthusiast. You've had this conversation before on other boards. I like diversity. I don't care how much you dislike it. I like the interaction, I dislike just being in one group even though I like being in areas that have a large Black presence. I like being amongst Chinese, Japenese, Europeans, and more. If you disagree than oh well.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:35 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Whatever Scraper Enthusiast. You've had this conversation before on other boards. I like diversity. I don't care how much you dislike it. I like the interaction, I dislike just being in one group even though I like being in areas that have a large Black presence. I like being amongst Chinese, Japenese, Europeans, and more. If you disagree than oh well.

I agree with you...look at the world's greatest cities and look at how diverse they are. There is not a single world class city that is not diverse. So his whole claim holds no water.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:48 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
As far as my contribution to the debate I'd have to go with Atlanta.

I don't really consider any of them dynamic though. If I was gonna choose a dynamic city I would choose cities like Boston, San Fran, Seattle, Chicago, NYC, Philly. Cities that are extremely unique and walk to their own vibe.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:51 PM

769 posts, read 2,232,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
What is great about foreign residents? I'm sure that most people are content to live the way they have for their lives. Statistics and common sense indicate that more homogeneous cities tend to have less conflict and more social interaction, at least in terms of the white population.

It is seriously odd how so many people act like diversity is a good thing, when all the indicators point to it hurting a city. It's also not what people prefer.
I have to jump on the bandwagon of people who disagree with this post. Diverse cities are actually what lead the world in new ideas and inventions. When was the last time anything spectacular happened in Salt Lake City that changed the world (a city that falls in your definition of a better city. Boring cities and towns don't have new and innovative changes that affect society as a whole. These cities that have less conflict also have less creativity.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:55 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,646,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I'm not sure I understand why you mentioned the location part. The Dolphins don't play in Miami. The Redskins don't play in Washington DC, neither the New York Jets or the New York Giants play in New York City.

For Sports
Dallas has the edge in football. They have 5 championships. Both Atlanta and Houston have none. Atlanta has been to one superbowl.
Atlanta has the edge in baseball. They have 1 championship but Houston and DFW has none. Houston has made the WS once though.
Houston has the edge in basketball. They have 2 championships and while Dallas has been the better team over the past year, they still have no championships. They have been to the finals.
Dallas obviously has the edge in hockey.
Houston has the edge in MLS

Dallas is the overall best sports city with more success. Dallas has 6 championships, Houston has 4 championships, Atlanta has 1.
The "Level" that I am talking about is that we and some other cities have pro teams in all the major sports leagues (NBA,NFL,NHL,and MLB) and we house a team from the most balanced college athletic conference out there (GT being part of the ACC). Does Houston have an NHL franchise?

Old 04-16-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoFan View Post
The "Level" that I am talking about is that we and some other cities have pro teams in all the major sports leagues (NBA,NFL,NHL,and MLB) and we house a team from the most balanced college athletic conference out there (GT being part of the ACC). Does Houston have an NHL franchise?
No, but the NHL wants to put a team in Houston. Honestly, Houston considering the MLS is now on par with the NHL nowadays ratings wise, does Atlanta have an MLS team? The DFW area is one area that has all four/five major sport teams.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
As far as my contribution to the debate I'd have to go with Atlanta.

I don't really consider any of them dynamic though. If I was gonna choose a dynamic city I would choose cities like Boston, San Fran, Seattle, Chicago, NYC, Philly. Cities that are extremely unique and walk to their own vibe.
Add DC to this list as well? Do you believe LA to be there as well? Oh and I never really contributed as well and I say Houston BUT I also agree with you that neither of them are really dynamic either. I guess that's why this thread really never got an answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City