Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city have you not been to and why Dallas,Houston,Atlanta,Miami,Nyc,Chicago?
Dallas 13 22.41%
Houston 13 22.41%
Atlanta 6 10.34%
Miami 9 15.52%
Chicago 6 10.34%
Nyc 11 18.97%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 02:29 AM

1,064 posts, read 1,903,140 times

Advertisements

The city that I have never been to is Nyc and that is because it is a that to me come off mean and as people tell me that southerns don't fit well there,not that I believe it or nothing.In the near future I want to visit the city that never sleep in enjoy the great American city that everyone dream to see.I would love to hear everyone thoughts on this topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 02:53 AM

562 posts, read 988,589 times
Uh, well apparently you can only vote for one option so I chose none.

Dallas, Houston and Miami are cities I have never been to for the same reasons: I can't afford it, I don't have the time nor reasons to go there. In my experience with NYC, nobody is going to know you are from the south unless you shout about it or your accent is particularly thick. I've found that I blended in pretty well even though I was from the midwest. Rudeness was apparent on some occasions but mostly people just mind their own business. It's not my favorite city by a long shot but the rudeness, in my personal experience, isn't as bad as people make it out to be.

Meanwhile, Chicago always finds ways to make me angry and Atlanta was a city I was only in briefly: the weather was bad and the air quality was low although I don't think that's regular. I don't have a strong opinion on it.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:11 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Chicago, Dallas, Atlanta and Miami because my tour itinery didn't pass through those cities. I've only really passed through the suburbs of Houston and saw the skyline. So I've only really been to New York but I would be keen to visit the others. They aren't high on my priority list, though.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:05 AM

23,442 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
people tell me that southerns don't fit well there,not that I believe it or nothing.
Not in my experience, and I'm a native Atlantan that for years lived in NYC (Brooklyn Heights). I would receive gentle ribbing about my 'roots' once in a while, but generally New Yorkers were great to me.
I would run into Southern expats all the time up there. There are more in NYC than you might think.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:22 AM

1,064 posts, read 1,903,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Not in my experience, and I'm a native Atlantan that for years lived in NYC (Brooklyn Heights). I would receive gentle ribbing about my 'roots' once in a while, but generally New Yorkers were great to me.
I would run into Southern expats all the time up there. There are more in NYC than you might think.
I didn't know that thanks for the info.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:46 AM

815 posts, read 1,856,927 times
Have been to all of them several times and lived in them ... Umm... I've explored Dallas the least, no particular reason why, just haven't had the desire to explore it and it's been farthest away from the others. It's probably the least interesting to me from a tourist standpoint. Ft. Worth actually might be a bit more interest for a visitor looking to see something unique.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:06 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
I've only visited half the cities on that list, so I didn't vote because I could only choose one. I've never been to Dallas or Miami, and my only experience with Houston was when I had to switch planes on my way to Seattle. To be honest I don't really have much desire to visit any of those places. I guess I would if someone offered me free trip, but with my own money there are many other places that would come to mind first.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:06 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
The city that I have never been to is Nyc and that is because it is a that to me come off mean and as people tell me that southerns don't fit well there,not that I believe it or nothing.In the near future I want to visit the city that never sleep in enjoy the great American city that everyone dream to see.I would love to hear everyone thoughts on this topic.
New York City, Chicago and Atlanta. No reason; I just haven't been to these places.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:04 PM

801 posts, read 1,512,611 times
I haven't been to Dallas and Chicago, but I've been in Chicago's airport, so I voted Dallas. I've been to Miami, Atlanta, and NYC for vacation and Houston for a family reunion. I've enjoyed all those cities and would go to all of them again. I plan on going to Chicago either next year or the year after next. I don't plan on going to Dallas anytime soon. It just doesn't interest me and I there's no reason making me want to go there.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:09 PM

136 posts, read 255,636 times
Its interesting, and will be more interesting, to find out that people have such an opinion about places that they have never been to. I find it absurd that someone can hold an opinion about Atlanta (one of the most bashed cities on here) and have never been here to experience the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City