Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would you do?
Move to Seattle 50 69.44%
Stay in Boston 22 30.56%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 08:28 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
People in Maine still say idear pretty regularly.
One of my 1st-grade teachers was from Maine-can confirm.

She also went out of her way to teach us that people in Maine, say "Kworter" instead of "Courter" (Quarter). We got a kick out of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2020, 02:39 PM

913 posts, read 559,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Accurate but curious does Brooklyn accent extend to all nationalities and ethnicities?

I know a black Bostonian accent is going to sound like “Fahdee Dolliz a weaker one night be “Fordee Dolliz”

My mom says ideaR and sodeR lols many adults in my life did I thought I was wrong for not saying it-I was confused. This was the late 90s/early 2000s.
Can't tell you. When I was growing up on LI, the Brooklyn accent transported out to the Guyland was largely Irish/Italian/German-Amurkan. It was, btw, different from Queens accents. The Guyland is a derivative of the Brooklyn accent. People from Queens were more likely to slur the LongIsland word with a sloppy, indistinct g.

Boston's got an array of neighborhood accents: a Henry Higgins could distinguish patterns from Dorchester, Southie, the North End-Charlestown, and Cambridge-Somerville. And those patterns migrated outward radially to the 3 suburban land points of the compass.

Old 12-10-2020, 04:09 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
The same folks in the older generation that say idear, still call Market Basket "Demoulas".

The name of the corporation is Demoulas Super Markets, Inc. The last DeMoulas was in Salem NH and was torn down in 2010 to be replaced by a 2x bigger Market Basket. That was only 10 years ago.

It always surprises me that television hasn't killed off the working class dialects. Everyone grows up listening to American Business English on the television.

Old 12-10-2020, 04:12 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
It wasn't until 2 years ago so noticed I pronounced Iron as Eye-uhn and saw nothing wrong with it. And the classic, "rahm" instead of room

Old 12-12-2020, 07:31 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,567,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Larsen View Post
It's very easy for people who aren't local to NYC or Boston to get the accents mixed up because the dipthongs are related (but reversed) and the different patterns of non-rhoticity.

Irish-American Boston: Dawhn is a nickname for Donald. Dahn is the twilight period before sunrise.

Brooklyn: Opposite.

Irish-American Boston for $40: Fwahdee d(w)ahllahz

Brooklyn: Fawdee dahlirz.

Yankee thrift alters Boston's non-rhoticity because of the Law of Conservation of Rs: Rs that are dropped from one place become the caboose in another place. Don't waste them Rs if you have the idear of visiting Cuber.
i heard the difference between boston and l.a. was: tina turnah; and, tiner turner.

Old 12-12-2020, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
One of my 1st-grade teachers was from Maine-can confirm.

She also went out of her way to teach us that people in Maine, say "Kworter" instead of "Courter" (Quarter). We got a kick out of that.
i had a phonics teacher instruct us to pronounce the h in what, where, when, why,...

Old 12-12-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The name of the corporation is Demoulas Super Markets, Inc. The last DeMoulas was in Salem NH and was torn down in 2010 to be replaced by a 2x bigger Market Basket. That was only 10 years ago.

growing up, the one near union square was demoulas market basket so they were used interchangeably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City