Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2020, 09:29 AM

565 posts, read 672,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Most of what you said about family structure is similar to how the vast majority of Black children are born out of wedlock, andi ts a matriarchal system with more emphasis on extended families.
I don't think that the same factors are at play.

In Quebec, unmarried couples are just as stable as married ones; it's just that people don't see the need, nor feel the social/religious pressure, to get married. What "officializes" a couple is having kids together, buying a condo or a house, living together for the long term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2020, 09:35 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
I don't think that the same factors are at play.

In Quebec, unmarried couples are just as stable as married ones; it's just that people don't see the need, nor feel the social/religious pressure, to get married. What "officializes" a couple is having kids together, buying a condo or a house, living together for the long term.
True. It's not entirely the same factors (namely economic), but that id argue that's at least a part of the Black American sentiment as well.

either way, regardless of factors both groups have significantly different coupling habits than the dominant group.

It has been noted (and has been my experience) Black Americans are also particularly more reliant on extended families or friends (or even community centers) for child care and adopt the "it takes a village mentality" more so than White Americans.

Old 02-13-2020, 10:05 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Its not a myth but the income/wealth gap between white and african american has absolutely grown over the past 30 years. That objective. African Americans in poverty have sunken deeper into poverty and homelessness

Wealth gap: https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlo...-emancipation/

https://philanthropynewsdigest.org/n...ap-study-finds

Black Homeownership: https://www.wsj.com/articles/black-h...ow-11563183015

https://www.urban.org/urban-wire/the...-homeownership

"If the black homeownership rate were the same today as it was in 2000, America would have 770,000 additional black homeowners"

"The current 30-percentage-point gap between black and white homeownership is larger than it was in 1968, when housing discrimination was legal"

https://www.blackenterprise.com/afri...lth-zero-2053/

"black wealth may fall to $0 by 2053"

Schools becoming more segregated: https://www.vox.com/2018/3/5/1708021...ing-worse-data

Houston is very much an exception. Some sunbelt cities are doing well but black sin the rest of the country and parts of the deepest south are not doing well-thats why were moving there.

It's not just the delta or Baltimore. Its most midwestern states, and northeastern states

When on city data keep in mind you're generally talking to a highly educated, highly mobile and highly informed cross section of any given population. We talk a lot about cities in the sunbelt that are great for African Americans and we talk to highly intelligent individuals. Note that Nigerian Nightmare is in the less than 1%of his engineering class that black-and he's Nigerian born-that should tell you a good deal about black progress in and of itself.
Thanks for this. Various circumstances have certainly put French Canadians in a much better position that we were historically: high geographic concentration in the second-biggest province in Canada, allowing for demograpghic and political control over a provincial government and Canada's second-largest metro.

And of course the absence of prejudice and racism based on skin colour.

Old 02-13-2020, 10:13 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
all that very interesting and insightful. Thank you.

Most of what you said about family structure is similar to how the vast majority of Black children are born out of wedlock, andi ts a matriarchal system with more emphasis on extended families.

All in all-to me- French Canadians seem equivalent to African Americans in difference based off what you've said here.

Recreational interest and socio economic standing seem to be more inline with the dominant group than African Americans and the of course there's the elephant in the room-skin color which plays a big par tin how individual are treated before they even speak and reveal their language of origin.

Language is a bigger barrier there but certainly can be a barrier to success/perception for many african americans here. Government is also more seperate up there, but asi said previously there are black dominated jurisdictions with black leaders as well who can pass laws on their own.
I know there are some cultural things that are virtually "black only" in the U.S., but the common language still allows some cross-over with the curious among the non-African-American population.

And somehow I doubt that you'd refer to every single of the scores of African-American artists and entertainers who've achieved mainstream success across all U.S. demographics as "sell-outs". It seems to me there is no shortage of people who are household names in Boise, Idaho, but who remain totally African-American in their style, approach and cultural output.

In Canada, the average Anglo-Canadian couldn't name 5 French Canadian celebrities. They know Céline Dion because she sings (partly) in English and she became a global star. People who can fill large arenas for shows in Quebec are total nobodies to Anglo-Canadians. There are Quebec movies in French that beat Hollywood blockbusters like Star Wars at the box office here that are NEVER even shown on a single screen outside Quebec.

It's not an exaggeration to say that Quebec culture, which constitutes a strong mainstream in this province, is a totally foreign culture to 75% of Canada's population.

Old 02-13-2020, 11:14 AM

93,262 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Its not a myth but the income/wealth gap between white and african american has absolutely grown over the past 30 years. That objective. African Americans in poverty have sunken deeper into poverty and homelessness

Wealth gap: https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlo...-emancipation/

https://philanthropynewsdigest.org/n...ap-study-finds

Black Homeownership: https://www.wsj.com/articles/black-h...ow-11563183015

https://www.urban.org/urban-wire/the...-homeownership

"If the black homeownership rate were the same today as it was in 2000, America would have 770,000 additional black homeowners"

"The current 30-percentage-point gap between black and white homeownership is larger than it was in 1968, when housing discrimination was legal"

https://www.blackenterprise.com/afri...lth-zero-2053/

"black wealth may fall to $0 by 2053"

Schools becoming more segregated: https://www.vox.com/2018/3/5/1708021...ing-worse-data

Houston is very much an exception. Some sunbelt cities are doing well but black sin the rest of the country and parts of the deepest south are not doing well-thats why were moving there.

It's not just the delta or Baltimore. Its most midwestern states, and northeastern states

When on city data keep in mind you're generally talking to a highly educated, highly mobile and highly informed cross section of any given population. We talk a lot about cities in the sunbelt that are great for African Americans and we talk to highly intelligent individuals. Note that Nigerian Nightmare is in the less than 1%of his engineering class that black-and he's Nigerian born-that should tell you a good deal about black progress in and of itself.
Even in those cities/areas, there are still issues with concentrated poverty and disparities. Concentrated poverty increased in 2/3rds of the top 100 metros in the US I believe in the first decade of the 2000's. So, a lot of issues are really just a matter of degree versus place X is doing so much better than place Y.

Old 02-13-2020, 11:42 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Indianapolis has 24 homicides now - making it nearly even with Philadelphia in per 100K homicide rate now. DC has 19 homicides, which makes its per 100K rate slightly below both of those cities.

Old 02-13-2020, 11:57 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Indianapolis has 24 homicides now - making it nearly even with Philadelphia in per 100K homicide rate now. DC has 19 homicides, which makes its per 100K rate slightly below both of those cities.
Are homicides generally isolated there similar to Philadelphia and DC or more widespread?

Old 02-13-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Are homicides generally isolated there similar to Philadelphia and DC or more widespread?
I think similar to DC. I'm not an expert for Indianapolis or anything, but when I did the 2019 stats by census tract - percentage of population living in census tracts without a homicide for 2019, DC and Indianapolis were pretty similar although both a fair percentage less than Chicago.

Percentage of People Living in Census Tracts With 0 Homicides for 2019
Los Angeles: 79.7%
Louisville: 64.1%
Chicago: 64%
Jacksonville: 59.4%
Indianapolis: 58.1%
Washington DC: 56.6%
Richmond, VA: 47.2%
Detroit: 46.6%
Memphis: 46.4%
St. Louis: 45.5%
Baltimore: 36.4%
Baton Rouge, LA: 15.8%
Jackson, MS: 13.3%

Old 02-13-2020, 12:18 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I think similar to DC. I'm not an expert for Indianapolis or anything, but when I did the 2019 stats by census tract - percentage of population living in census tracts without a homicide for 2019, DC and Indianapolis were pretty similar although both a fair percentage less than Chicago.

Percentage of People Living in Census Tracts With 0 Homicides for 2019
Los Angeles: 79.7%
Louisville: 64.1%
Chicago: 64%
Jacksonville: 59.4%
Indianapolis: 58.1%
Washington DC: 56.6%
Richmond, VA: 47.2%
Detroit: 46.6%
Memphis: 46.4%
St. Louis: 45.5%
Baltimore: 36.4%
Baton Rouge, LA: 15.8%
Jackson, MS: 13.3%
whered you pull this data?

Old 02-13-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
whered you pull this data?
I had to process it all myself which was a month or two ago. Each of these cities have data on where every homicide occurred. Many cities I can't do because they don't have that data available (yet or ever). And then the US Census has a reverse geocode service which can tell you what census tract (amongst other things) an address or lat/long coordinate is in. Was not an easy process but interesting nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City