Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 06:53 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
And in case that sounded insensitive I have a brother who was an assault victim. They were a gang, a white gang, who beat up on this little nerdy kid. That's not tough and I don't mean to suggest otherwise. I just meant I could accept an argument that that's "tougher" than just shooting him and running. Tough can be mean and horrible in some cases.
Yup.

There are many people who join the military cause the thought of going off to war is still more appealling then staying in their own dangerous neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 10:01 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,076,056 times
America's Toughest Cities | Maxim.com | Maxim.com
1. Chicago, Illinois
2. Los Angeles, California
3. Detroit, Michigan
4. Baltimore, Maryland
5. Houston, Texas
6. Seattle, Washington
7. San Diego, California
8. Columbus, Ohio
9. Fort Worth, Texas
10. Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Old 06-15-2009, 10:36 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
With something like a 2008 24.9% high school graduation rate (worst in the country), 23.2% unemployment rate (worst city with a population over 1 million), the highest crime rate in the country although Baltimore is giving them a run for their money, I'd say Detroit is toughest and not looking too promising.

Baltimore Crime Beat: Detroit under-reports murder; could overtake Baltimore - Baltimore, Maryland crime news, blogs and video - baltimoresun.com

Detroit community groups work for city's new glory days - USATODAY.com

CARPE DIEM: 25% High School Graduation Rate in Detroit, Although State Dept of Education Says 67%

Old 06-15-2009, 11:20 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,926,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
1. Chicago, Illinois
3. Detroit, Michigan
4. Baltimore, Maryland
5. Houston, Texas
6. Seattle, Washington
7. San Diego, California
8. Columbus, Ohio
9. Fort Worth, Texas
10. Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Seattle? San Diego? Columbus? Fort Worth?

I don't agree with the way they rank those anyway, but calling any of those cities close to the "toughest" in the country is a joke.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:36 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
The article has "humor" in its web address so it may actually be a joke.

I think I read somewhere high population density relates to a certain toughness. Going by that plus crime Irvington, New Jersey would maybe be a possibility.

List of United States cities by population density - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://www.city-data.com/top2/c405.html

If "tough" as in a tough conditions Flint, Michigan has both plenty of poverty and significantly cold winters.

http://www.city-data.com/top2/c6.html
http://www.city-data.com/top2/c456.html

For a mix of high poverty with hot summers Miami, Florida come out fairly harsh

http://www.city-data.com/top2/c3.html
http://www.city-data.com/top2/c455.html

Detroit is probably one of the best choices of "tough" in the conventional sense due to its crime and unemployment.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 06-16-2009 at 02:41 AM.. Reason: fixing example

Old 06-16-2009, 05:52 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
1. Chicago, Illinois
3. Detroit, Michigan
4. Baltimore, Maryland
5. Houston, Texas
6. Seattle, Washington
7. San Diego, California
8. Columbus, Ohio
9. Fort Worth, Texas
10. Milwaukee, Wisconsin

I laugh at that list. The only cities I agree with are Chicago, LA, and Detroit. NY and Miami should be on that list too.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:12 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,490,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I laugh at that list. The only cities I agree with are Chicago, LA, and Detroit. NY and Miami should be on that list too.
Of course you do. You and all your friends laugh. Haha! Tough New Yorkers always laugh. That's why they're so tough.

I think Levittown is the toughest place on all of Earth. It's sooo tough. Seriously, try eating Levittown. It's like chewing leather. I laugh at Levittown! Haha! Now I'm tough!

Old 06-16-2009, 01:37 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,076,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
New Yorkers aren't all that tough, they just think they are. However, I do think Philly and Boston deserve to be on that list.

I actually think Milwaukee should be higher than #10. We love to drink and drinking often leads to fisticuffs.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:41 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
I don't know, but I have a problem with considering NY to be tough. It's like they put on this facade just to prove how much tougher than are than the rest of us, and brag about all the "crazy" stuff they've been through as if they are the only ones going through stuff like that.

Like somone reported this story about a sailor being held captive, and he's all like "I'm from Brookyln, so that was nothing blah blah blah".

It seems all fake and rehearsed to me, and an other example with some NYers on here. Bragging about walking through the "ghetto" or bragging about how there cities have more murders than any other city (well duh! You guys have over 8 million people).

I agree with on that list Chicago, Baltimore, and Detroit. Houston and LA people are tough, but we don't really care to show it.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:42 PM

1,126 posts, read 4,563,572 times
My mom and her family are Irish/Catholics from Southie aka South Boston. Toughest people I know.

just watch the Boondock Saints for a better understanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City