Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which pairing offers the better natural/outdoors pursuits, given your tastes?
Atlanta + Houston 35 58.33%
Miami + Dallas 25 41.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2020, 12:06 PM

17,155 posts, read 15,373,458 times

Advertisements

Hard to beat Biscayne Bay in Miami... The Everglades are pretty cool too. And unique.

Miami takes this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2020, 12:18 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Miami alone.

Old 03-25-2020, 12:25 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
So basically Atlanta vs. Miami.
No. It's basically forest/mountainish and coastal plain/wetlands vs coast/swamp and prairie.

Old 03-25-2020, 12:56 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,669,482 times
If I were to stack what I perceive to be the strongest image of each with one another (within county), this is what it would look like:

Miami: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ha...!4d-80.1244497
Dallas:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ce...36!5m2!1e4!1e3

...or
Houston: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sy...42!5m2!1e4!1e3
Atlanta:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/St...87!5m2!1e4!1e3

Taking it to the 2 hour extreme, I think Miami's mic drop is this:
https://www.google.com/search?q=john...wDCnghwkSmIw9M Many of the beaches in the Keys are nothing to write home about but I believe this is the only coral reef in the US so that's something.

Whereas I think Dallas is this:
https://www.google.com/search?q=arbu...hwLwfNNf7e1IzM

Houston's regional mic drop would probably be this:
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.1906...56!5m2!1e4!1e3

I mean, Hill Country is almost within 2 hour range but Atlanta already has corner on market on that.

One thing, for sake of this debate that I'll say. Say what you will about quality level of beaches near Houston.. but one appealing factor for a nature person.. apart from Galveston, Texas beaches, you can be the only person around for MILES it appears. You don't even have to go that far to do that. The only similar looking stretches of coast in Florida in terms of how quiet they are would be up in the panhandle.

Not gonna lie... Atlanta's scenic mic drop still seems difficult to beat, for me: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bl...71!5m2!1e4!1e3

Old 03-25-2020, 01:28 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,806,621 times
I love me some Houston. From the beaches to the Forests South and North of the city, but in this case I would rank it last.

Miami I would tank first.

But the combo of DFW and Miami lacks the lush mountain scapes of the ATL area.
Since the AtL, Houston combo has more varied terrain, I went with that but Miami alone is a big draw. I am just more partial to ATL's greenery.

Old 03-25-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I love me some Houston. From the beaches to the Forests South and North of the city, but in this case I would rank it last.

Miami I would tank first.

But the combo of DFW and Miami lacks the lush mountain scapes of the ATL area.
Since the AtL, Houston combo has more varied terrain, I went with that but Miami alone is a big draw. I am just more partial to ATL's greenery.
What you mention is exactly what I thought would make it so interesting. I kinda imagined straight up, regardless of my personal preference, Miami was gonna win the popular vote overall. But, the conflict of then having more varied scenery in the case of Atlanta/Houston makes it much more even and interesting, and so far at least, the poll seems to be reflecting that.

You have Dallas ahead of Houston? I do have to say, the pictures of Cedar Ridge Preserve were eye opening and unlike anything I saw while there. However, I will say that what I immediately got the impression of was of Dallas being a treeless landscape-I think the prairie/valley it sits in is that way, which gives many people that view, when in reality, the metro/city overall has a healthy amount of tree cover.

Old 03-25-2020, 03:54 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,621,029 times
I’m more of a fan of forestry so I choose Atlanta +Houston off Atlanta solely.

Old 03-25-2020, 05:08 PM

11,790 posts, read 8,002,955 times
This should really just be Atlanta vs Miami ... and it vastly depends on tastes.
If you're into hills / mountains/ forestry, Atlanta easily.
If you prefer a bay / beach activities, Miami easily.

Old 03-25-2020, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
This should really just be Atlanta vs Miami ... and it vastly depends on tastes.
If you're into hills / mountains/ forestry, Atlanta easily.
If you prefer a bay / beach activities, Miami easily.
Doing that really (/discussion and thread) though.

The fact is that you would be right in that case, those that would, would prefer a certain one over the other, and Miami in all likelihood would win. But-if we are talking about it between the two-it creates more of a dilemma and room for discussion. Clearly, if you are a beach person, you'll pick the Miami group, and if you're a mountains person, you'd pick Atlanta. But, as this thread has demonstrated, a lot of people have more nuanced opinions than that, which is what makes this draw so interesting. For me, I think it's Atlanta-Houston with the edge, but it's close, Dallas does offer some interesting scenery. Like I said, even though I like mountains and forest more, I do enjoy what Miami has to offer too.. if it had say Austin attached.. I might just pick that pod instead.

Old 03-25-2020, 06:03 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,974 times
Hmmm

In order I prefer
Miami
Atlanta
Dallas/Houston

I guess Miami/Dallas since I'd rather be by the beach for a larger chunk of the year. I've only visited Houston twice but dang was it muggy and the water off the coast.... well, it was quite disappointing.

Last edited by Ebck120; 03-25-2020 at 06:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City