Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 07:29 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I'd say Texas has done a phenomenal job of containing COVID-19 WITHOUT having to issue to many lockdowns for too long.

The per capita cases there are quite low--impressive for the second most populous state. And boy, they reacted quick! They shut down even most MUSEUMS Saturday, 3/14, likely before many museums in California shut down!
Texas has only administered around 42K tests.

It will probably be at least another month before we have a sense of the scope of this thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2020, 02:14 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,289,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
It boggles the mind what some states aren't doing. The god damn time to slow this thing is before cases get prolific.
What gets me is this-what information do we have now that we didn't have as far back as January? Why did we wait? Even if people didn't take it seriously then, what more of a red flag than a country like Japan closing schools a month ago was needed?

Old 04-01-2020, 02:26 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
What gets me is this-what information do we have now that we didn't have as far back as January? Why did we wait? Even if people didn't take it seriously then, what more of a red flag than a country like Japan closing schools a month ago was needed?
You have school marms and half-wits running the country. I am not surprised. Science and data always takes a back seat.

Old 04-01-2020, 02:33 PM

724 posts, read 559,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
It's not that shocking when you realize that almost everything in this country needs to have a "blue vs red" or "left vs right" element to it. Even now, its still being looked at through that lens.

How we've managed to turn a pandemic into a huge political issue is amazing.

Old 04-01-2020, 02:40 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
How did CO get an A? I went out for the first time in weeks the other day and the roads/stores were just as busy as ever.

Old 04-01-2020, 03:05 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,289,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
It's not that shocking when you realize that almost everything in this country needs to have a "blue vs red" or "left vs right" element to it. Even now, its still being looked at through that lens.

How we've managed to turn a pandemic into a huge political issue is amazing.
This is really the heart of it. Since almost all major media is 100% centered around national politics, they didn't really pick up on it until political angles presented themselves.

Old 04-01-2020, 08:18 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,957,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Texas has only administered around 42K tests.

It will probably be at least another month before we have a sense of the scope of this thing.
The whole US is behind in testing. Not just the US.

All I'm saying is that RELATIVE to other US states (even California), Texas has done phenomenally well in keeping covid-19 at bay.

Check out this map:
https://www.politico.com/interactive...-of-new-cases/

California: 29,927 tests, 8155 positives
Texas: 47,857 tests, 3997 positives

This is incredible. Texas has a smaller population than California but has more tests in raw numbers--which means Texas is testing much more aggressively than California.

And even then, Texas has a lower per-capita positive rate than California. Because Texas acted quick. SXSW, NRG Rodeo were canceled. Dallas' St. Patrick's Day Parade was canceled on March 11--very early on.

Old 04-01-2020, 08:51 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
^^ California seems awfully low if that's accurate. You mean to tell me California has only done 10,000 more tests than Maryland?

Old 04-01-2020, 08:56 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,851,017 times
I suspect they're way higher. The main statistic source (CDC?) only counted tests by the official state lab or the CDC itself last I checked. In certain states, a large percentage of tests appear to be by third parties such as hospitals.

Old 04-01-2020, 09:09 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,957,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
^^ California seems awfully low if that's accurate. You mean to tell me California has only done 10,000 more tests than Maryland?
More like 20-25k more than Maryland.

Granted, there are many, many pending tests, especially in California, so the numbers may change.

But as for processed tests, Texas has been pretty darn aggressive. Well done!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City