Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most gritty west coast area
SF/OAK metro 29 38.67%
LA/LBC metro 36 48.00%
SEA/TAC metro 8 10.67%
Other 2 2.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 08:47 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,858 times

Advertisements

Seattle doesn't seem too bad--at least from my limited tourist's perspective.

San Francisco for sure has its run-down areas, as does Los Angeles. I'd have to say it seems like even LA is better kept than the Bay Area. Maybe you could argue San Bernardino and South LA are as bad as Oakland, but even then it's a stretch.

The difference is, Greater LA simply has more new, clean areas like Irvine than the Bay. Even the wealthy East Bay suburbs of Orinda are old and lackluster. Well, that shouldn't be a surprise--after paying down a mortgage for your $2 million dollar 50 year old townhome you're broke! No money leftover for home improvement or a new BMW!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2020, 10:58 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,711,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Seattle doesn't seem too bad--at least from my limited tourist's perspective.

San Francisco for sure has its run-down areas, as does Los Angeles. I'd have to say it seems like even LA is better kept than the Bay Area. Maybe you could argue San Bernardino and South LA are as bad as Oakland, but even then it's a stretch.

The difference is, Greater LA simply has more new, clean areas like Irvine than the Bay. Even the wealthy East Bay suburbs of Orinda are old and lackluster. Well, that shouldn't be a surprise--after paying down a mortgage for your $2 million dollar 50 year old townhome you're broke! No money leftover for home improvement or a new BMW!
No way does the Bay Area beat LA in this regard. The Bay Area is huge and most of it is very far from gritty. It has areas like SF and the inner East Bay (including Oakland, Hayward, etc) which have a ton of grit. Areas like Vallejo and Richmond which are straight up ghettos obviously have some grit as well, but I'd classify them more as just dangerous ghettos. But the Peninsula, Marin County, the South Bay, most of Contra Costa, Wine Country - not gritty at all.

That's why LA has it beat by a good amount. Downtown LA, Koreatown, Hollywood, East LA, Compton, Inglewood, parts of Long Beach, parts of San Bernadino County, etc. Even some of the nice parts on the Westside like Venice have more grit than you'd expect. Sure, you've got Beverly Hills, Pacific Palisades, Malibu and many other famous upscale enclaves, but overall LA County and San Bernadino County as whole have by far the grittiest built environment and vibe in the Western US.

Old 04-24-2020, 01:11 AM

3 posts, read 1,307 times
The entire San Francisco is gentrified, most of the Bay Area is , even the ghettos in Oakland pale in comparison to LA, East LA, SFV and south central LA are way grittier. Downtown LA also has grit to it , it used to be very dangerous in the 90s. There’s a reason gangsta rap is from LA and not the Bay Area

Old 04-24-2020, 01:35 AM

6,376 posts, read 4,995,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humzah View Post
The entire San Francisco is gentrified, most of the Bay Area is , even the ghettos in Oakland pale in comparison to LA, East LA, SFV and south central LA are way grittier. Downtown LA also has grit to it , it used to be very dangerous in the 90s. There’s a reason gangsta rap is from LA and not the Bay Area
I agree that LA > Bay Area on this, but there are parts of SF that are still kinda dicey.

https://goo.gl/maps/BGBCoi2YzYC2uhju9
https://goo.gl/maps/E5y3gmsYd9iqwjE7A
https://goo.gl/maps/ZuepD6LQx6Tu6C5Y7

Old 04-24-2020, 01:52 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humzah View Post
Slow down. San Francisco has certainly gentrified the last decade but it’s far from being void of gritty areas. You truly don’t believe your own words when you say the ghettos of Oakland pale in comparison to the similar areas of LA.

Old 04-24-2020, 02:03 AM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times
SF has Sixth Street, Tenderloin, Hunters Point etc, there's West Oakland and North Richmond...otherwise the Bay Area is pretty well kept. LA's grit is mainly because it's so spread out...a lot of industrial areas and certain neglected areas where people don't go and haven't been gentrified yet.

Old 04-24-2020, 10:30 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
SF has Sixth Street, Tenderloin, Hunters Point etc, there's West Oakland and North Richmond...otherwise the Bay Area is pretty well kept. LA's grit is mainly because it's so spread out...a lot of industrial areas and certain neglected areas where people don't go and haven't been gentrified yet.
There's a difference between dirty, unsanitary, dangerous, drug-filled, homeless encampment neighborhoods and gritty. Sixth St and parts of the TL are just downright dirty and plagued with drug and homeless issues. That's not gritty. For that same reason, I'm not saying Skid Row is gritty. It's similarly a neighborhood plagued with drug problems and homelessness issues.

Old 04-24-2020, 10:39 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Slow down. San Francisco has certainly gentrified the last decade but it’s far from being void of gritty areas. You truly don’t believe your own words when you say the ghettos of Oakland pale in comparison to the similar areas of LA.
No we still have plenty of hood areas.

Old 04-24-2020, 10:40 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
There's a difference between dirty, unsanitary, dangerous, drug-filled, homeless encampment neighborhoods and gritty. Sixth St and parts of the TL are just downright dirty and plagued with drug and homeless issues. That's not gritty. For that same reason, I'm not saying Skid Row is gritty. It's similarly a neighborhood plagued with drug problems and homelessness issues.
YES! Someone needed to say this. I always here’s this argument for SF and SEA and in my head I’m just like “that’s just nasty and bummy..not gritty” but I never thought anyone agreed with me so I didn’t say it.

Old 04-24-2020, 10:47 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Haha you never get anything right regarding the Bay Area. Stick to what you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City