Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 01:58 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Not just Stamford and Norwalk, but even places or areas of places like Danbury, Stratford and Greenwich could have some appeal.
I get what your saying it’s just I’d probably prefer Stamford and Norwalk, Stratford seems nice too. But I really really like Everett Malden Cambridge and Framingham.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2020, 02:36 PM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I get what your saying it’s just I’d probably prefer Stamford and Norwalk, Stratford seems nice too. But I really really like Everett Malden Cambridge and Framingham.
Yeah, Danbury and Framingham seem to be similar. Something that you may find interesting is that Danbury’s black median household income is the highest out those cities(was $64,448 according to 2010-2014 info., $54,800 according to 2012-2016 info.).

Old 04-04-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yeah, Danbury and Framingham seem to be similar. Something that you may find interesting is that Danbury’s black median household income is the highest out those cities(was $64,448 according to 2010-2014 info., $54,800 according to 2012-2016 info.).
Very very similar. Framingham is a tad bit more educated, and higher income but itching major. Framingham's more Brazilian and Danbury has more Central Americans. Aside from that they’re nearly identical.

Old 04-04-2020, 02:49 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,720,772 times
Overall, cities and towns in Connecticut appear to be neater and more orderly than cities and towns in Massachusetts. Relative to Massachusetts, parks, roads, trails and other public spaces in Connecticut are in noticeably better condition and usually have more directional and historical signage. Ever since the late 1980's or early 1990's, Connecticut has taken public beautification more seriously than Massachusetts, mostly through aggressive anti-litter campaigns and frequent road construction and resurfacing projects. Needless to say, Connecticut has been more successful in preserving historic homes and villages than Massachusetts, on a statewide level. For example, the Fairfield County towns of New Canaan and Ridgefield are, honest to God, straight out of a storybook. Massachusetts has many "storybook towns" as well; however, those towns tend to be in remote, non-metropolitan areas of state (e.g., Chatham, Lenox, Nantucket, Williamstown, etc.), instead of within commutable distance to major centers of economic activity.

Separately, Fairfield County is also on the fault line of the humid continental (Dfa) and humid subtropical (Cfa) climate zones, which translates to a shorter, milder winter and a longer, warmer summer than Middlesex County. For gardeners, the slightly warmer climate of southwestern Connecticut translates to a longer growing season and the ability to grow a wider variety of plants and trees. As you drive north through Massachusetts, you observe more "New Hampshire trees," which is how I referred to coniferous trees in childhood. In my opinion, the tall coniferous trees of northern Massachusetts are less attractive than the broad-leaf deciduous trees you observe in coastal southern New England as well as the coastal pines of the Outer Lands.

Also, it is important to note that, in addition to being located in close proximity to New York City, Fairfield County is more centrally located within the Northeast. As a result, Fairfield County provides greater accessibility to other parts of the country and, accordingly, is less of a "logistics nightmare." That is the reason why Fairfield County has the most national chains and franchises of any sub-region of New England on a per-capita basis.

Finally, the fully rhotic American English accent that is indigenous to western Connecticut is much more euphonious than the fully non-rhotic accent of the Greater Boston area. The Eastern New England accents not only unpleasant-sounding, they are also relatively difficult for the average American to understand.

Last edited by Bert_from_back_East; 04-04-2020 at 03:12 PM..

Old 04-04-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Overall, cities and towns in Connecticut appear to be neater and more orderly than cities and towns in Massachusetts. Relative to Massachusetts, parks, roads, trails and other public spaces in Connecticut are in noticeably better condition and usually have more directional and historical signage. Ever since the late 1980's or early 1990's, Connecticut has taken public beautification more seriously through aggressive anti-litter campaigns and frequent road construction and resurfacing projects. Needless to say, Connecticut has been more successful in preserving historic homes and villages than Massachusetts, on a statewide level. For example, the Fairfield County towns of New Canaan and Ridgefield are, honest to God, straight out of a storybook. Massachusetts has many "storybook towns" as well; however, those towns tend to be in remote, non-metropolitan areas of state (e.g., Chatham, Lenox, Nantucket, Williamstown, etc.), instead of within commutable distance to major population centers. Fairfield County is also on the fault line of the humid continental (Dfa) and humid subtropical (Cfa) climate zones, which translates to a shorter, milder winter and a longer, warmer summer than Middlesex County.
I would agree with most of this except CT cities do a poorer job with beautification than MA cities. But their towns do a better job than MA towns. Luckily, Fairfield County only has one poor city.

Old 04-04-2020, 03:36 PM

6,807 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
For example, the Fairfield County towns of New Canaan and Ridgefield are, honest to God, straight out of a storybook.
What storybooks are you reading? New Canaan and Ridgefield are certainly nice but for one thing, they aren’t representative of the rest of the state. For another, I don’t think they’re head and shoulders above pretty small towns in MA like Concord.

I will say that my experience with CT is more eastern than western-based, but from what I’ve seen I really don’t think that CT does a better job with upkeep than MA on a statewide level.

Quote:
Finally, the fully rhotic American English accent that is indigenous to western Connecticut is much more euphonious than the fully non-rhotic accent of the Greater Boston area. The Eastern New England accents not only unpleasant-sounding, they are also relatively difficult for the average American to understand.
I also have yet to meet someone from Connecticut with anything except a generic American.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 04-04-2020 at 03:44 PM..

Old 04-04-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
What storybooks are you reading? New Canaan and Ridgefield are certainly nice but for one thing, they aren’t representative of the rest of the state. For another, I don’t think they’re head and shoulders above pretty small towns in MA like Concord.

I will say that my experience with CT is more eastern than western-based, but from what I’ve seen I really don’t think that CT does a better job with upkeep than MA on a statewide level.

I also have yet to meet someone from Connecticut with anything except a generic American.
West of the Connecticut River upkeep in towns is better than most of MA, that’s for sure.

Some areas along the southeast coast are nice, so I’ve heard.

Old 04-04-2020, 04:23 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Quote:
West of the Connecticut River upkeep in towns is better than most of MA, that’s for sure.

Some areas along the southeast coast are nice, so I’ve heard.
They are Madison, Gulford, Mystic, Old Saybrook so on are some nice shoreline towns

Old 04-04-2020, 04:30 PM

https://goo.gl/maps/amzySgB55oC1ZQL16

https://goo.gl/maps/wwkdHzYfEWcJvHi2A

https://goo.gl/maps/FTFqwL7qLag6o3fm6

https://goo.gl/maps/s8hvxmU4B5oYYUNe7

https://goo.gl/maps/UT4iFSsW13CEKSGz7

https://goo.gl/maps/U6a6okHxSbzr8sNUA

The towns, if not better maintained, are at least more orderly.

*These examples aren’t just FFC.

Old 04-04-2020, 04:43 PM

6,807 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
They are Madison, Gulford, Mystic, Old Saybrook so on are some nice shoreline towns
Stonington is also lovely.

Quote:
Most of MA? I can’t really think of a single small town near me (Newburyport area) that isn’t generally very well-kept. Salisbury maybe? Those western CT towns must be something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City