Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 08:43 AM

14,056 posts, read 13,950,334 times

Advertisements

These two counties contain some wealthy communities and some challenges

How we are ranking them

MA Cities: Lowell, Cambridge, Everett, Somerville, Framingham, Waltham
CT Cities: Bridgeport, Stamford, Norwak, Danbury

1. Which one has better cities
2. Which suburbs and schools are better
3. Entertainment like bars, clubs
4. Transportation
5. Parks/Hills
6. Jobs/Economy
7. Shopping
8. Natural
9. Beach
10. Food/Culture
11. Which one you prefer and why
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2020, 09:11 AM

14,023 posts, read 15,037,335 times
Middlesex county has a lot more of a range of towns. Woburn, Dracut, Stoneham, Billerica, etc are middle class suburbs that don’t exist in Fairfield county to any large extent.

Fairfield is more polarized between Danbury/Bridgeport run down places and very ritzy suburbs.

Also I don’t think Middlesex county has a coastline unless you count like the Mystic River estuary as the ocean.

Old 04-04-2020, 09:36 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,800,939 times
1. Middlesex
2. Tie
3. Middlesex
4. Tie
5. Not sure
6. Middlesex
7. Fairfield
8. Fairfield
9. Fairfield
10. Middlesex

11. The suze difference is huge. Middlesex County is twice as populous as Fairfield. Overall it’s be Fairfield for me, better weather, more diverse, slower pace of life, accces to NYC, more beautiful forests/nature and more affordable. I cannot stand suburban/exurban Middlesex County.

But if I were to take the inner half of Middlesex County...the equivalent of Fairfield..I’d choose Middlesex. Inner Middlesex County has everything Fairfield has but better ..and prices reflect that.

Old 04-04-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Middlesex county has a lot more of a range of towns. Woburn, Dracut, Stoneham, Billerica, etc are middle class suburbs that don’t exist in Fairfield county to any large extent.

Fairfield is more polarized between Danbury/Bridgeport run down places and very ritzy suburbs.

Also I don’t think Middlesex county has a coastline unless you count like the Mystic River estuary as the ocean.
To be fair to Danbury it’s not very rundown, it’s a fine normal city pretty similar to Norwalk. Low crime rate. I think Fairfield really only has Bridgeport dragging it down.

Old 04-04-2020, 12:22 PM

6,815 posts, read 6,054,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
The suze difference is huge. Middlesex County is twice as populous as Fairfield. Overall it’s be Fairfield for me, better weather, more diverse, slower pace of life, accces to NYC, more beautiful forests/nature and more affordable. I cannot stand suburban/exurban Middlesex County.
Interestingly enough, the two counties are the same “white alone” percent. Fairfield has the higher Latino population, so for “non-hispanic white” it’s 72% vs 62%, but it’s not night and day. The distinction of course is that Fairfield has a much higher black population and Middlesex has a much higher Asian population.

I have to disagree about forests/nature. The apple orchards, farms, forests, and nature around Stow, Acton, Concord, etc. are lovely and the Fells is also great. The Minuteman and Charles River bike trails are nice. For weather: aren’t they pretty much the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Yeah, I don’t know why “beaches” is a criteria. Middlesex is landlocked.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 04-04-2020 at 12:35 PM..

Old 04-04-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Interestingly enough, the two counties are the same “white alone” percent. Fairfield has the higher Latino population, so for “non-hispanic white” it’s 72% vs 62%, but it’s not night and day. The distinction of course is that Fairfield has a much higher black population and Middlesex has a much higher Asian population.

I have to disagree about forests/nature. The apple orchards, farms, forests, and nature around Stow, Acton, Concord, etc. are lovely and the Fells is also great. The Minuteman and Charles River bike trails are nice. For weather: aren’t they pretty much the same?

Yeah, I don’t know why “beaches” is a criteria. Middlesex is landlocked.
Middlesex has a relatively small black and Latino population so for most POC it’s night and day. The Asian population in Middlesex County is also heavily assimilated. 28% POC vs 38% is definitely a large and significant difference no matter what the racial breakdown is. And as a Black person I’m taking FFC for sure because of Stanford And Norwalk... but again if you narrow it down to inner Middlesex County it’s considerably probably less drastic.

Fairfield County is more deciduous and less rocky and the greenery seems to burst from the seems whereas in Middlesex County suburbia feels noticeably less lush.

Old 04-04-2020, 12:54 PM

6,815 posts, read 6,054,426 times
Quote:
Fairfield County is more deciduous and less rocky and the greenery seems to burst from the seems whereas in Middlesex County suburbia feels noticeably less lush.
Rocky? Less deciduous? Where in Middlesex County are you picturing?

Old 04-04-2020, 01:12 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,026,863 times
1. Which one has better cities: Middlesex
2. Which suburbs and schools are better: Middlesex
3. Entertainment like bars, clubs: Middlesex (Cambridge Alone on this one)
4. Transportation: Middlesex
5. Parks/Hills: Middlesex Obviously
6. Jobs/Economy: Middlesex
7. Shopping: Middlesex
8. Natural: Middlesex
9. Beach: Fairfield (However,Middlesex is located a county away from some of the best beaches in the country)
10. Food/Culture: Food for Fairfield, Culture for Middlesex

Middlesex. Nicer suburbs, better area, Greater Boston is much better for families than the NYC area. Prettier too. Overall, Middlesex wins hands down. No Contest. Also, Boston is a better city in my opinion than NY... so living by Boston wins anyday.

Old 04-04-2020, 01:45 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
1. Which one has better cities: Middlesex
2. Which suburbs and schools are better: Middlesex
3. Entertainment like bars, clubs: Middlesex (Cambridge Alone on this one)
4. Transportation: Middlesex
5. Parks/Hills: Middlesex Obviously
6. Jobs/Economy: Middlesex
7. Shopping: Middlesex
8. Natural: Middlesex
9. Beach: Fairfield (However,Middlesex is located a county away from some of the best beaches in the country)
10. Food/Culture: Food for Fairfield, Culture for Middlesex

Middlesex. Nicer suburbs, better area, Greater Boston is much better for families than the NYC area. Prettier too. Overall, Middlesex wins hands down. No Contest. Also, Boston is a better city in my opinion than NY... so living by Boston wins anyday.
Technically, Fairfield County is its own metro area(Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk). So, NYC doesn’t really have anything to do with it, except for close proximity and commuter transportation.

Old 04-04-2020, 01:52 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Middlesex has a relatively small black and Latino population so for most POC it’s night and day. The Asian population in Middlesex County is also heavily assimilated. 28% POC vs 38% is definitely a large and significant difference no matter what the racial breakdown is. And as a Black person I’m taking FFC for sure because of Stanford And Norwalk... but again if you narrow it down to inner Middlesex County it’s considerably probably less drastic.

Not just Stamford and Norwalk, but even places or areas of places like Danbury, Stratford and Greenwich could have some appeal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City