Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2020, 09:00 AM

7,269 posts, read 10,591,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
What role is that? Metro Philly's per capita GDP is $15k lower than Metro Boston's.
By the most obvious measure of 6th largest state economy in the US, I'd reckon.

I'm not sure why Boston is the "benchmark" here. If we were to break things down in metro terms, Philly is the 8th largest in size among all metro areas. And according to this source, as of 2016 (the latest per capita figures I could find), Philly has the 8th highest per capita GDP among the Top 40 metro areas, as well ($70,928):

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-e...-austin-2018-4

Formidable by any measure.

Last edited by Duderino; 04-12-2020 at 09:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2020, 09:29 AM

142 posts, read 86,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
According to the latest BEA stats, PA and IL were were separated by approx. $85B of GDP in Q1 2018; as of Q4 2019, they were separated by approx. $84B.

So, in fact, the gap has remained remarkably consistent--although PA has shown a slightly higher "real" GDP growth rate.

I think most folks recognize the large role of Pennsylvania's economy, but its image is highly outdated with common characteristizations like "stagnant" or "Rust Belt." In reality, it has literally THE most diverse economy in the US (https://columbiamontourchamber.com/2...verse-economy/) and its growth is very similar to the national average.

Old stereotypes die hard.
Last link I looked up on diversity on cities. Chicago could boast also. No business holds more then 14 percent of any one company. So that is diverese too. I can post links.
Also, just on C-D. One can show new stereotypes slung of PA without Philadelphia region is West Virginia or a term like Pennsytucky for much of PA outside of the Philadelphia region that perverted to a putdown rather then a original meaning of being the Conservative vs Liberal split it denoted.

But Philadelphian's from C-D. Have vented much more disdain for the regions outside of its Southeastern PA as being the the best, growing, needing the recognition of stature it claims outsiders hate its largest city. On many more aspects then political power and conservatism.
IL has more disdain and less respect to its largest city seen as having too much clout and political power it holds. From its largest metro region on C-D directed or slung its way I've read here.

So there is misconceptions if you're honest from both states on C-D both ways, but still differently vented. Both states have highly conservative rural to small cities. That is also clear.

Still Chicago's regional reach is a higher % of the state if IL over Philadelphia's as stats show if you look them up. That created enough a lessor political power wedge to control the state of PA's political power in Harrisburg as Philadelphian's vent even on C-D. Constantly speak on that less clout it holds thru recent history, from its more consevative reaches statewide.

On which state stands to gain more population whether its major city anchor cities to the whole state in general? That still sways toward PA. Any Eastern location is generally seen as going to have more virtues then a Midwestern state. Financially, many would give less negatives to hold it back for PA. Still growth overall will be a struggle in population growth, that also relates to GDP too. Both endure the struggles a clawing out of previous declines by being Northern states.

That said, still PA has the edge. Just no landslide of saying it will pass IL soon. More still depends on its largest cities or city. Chicago being much more needed to push IL upward or it can downward. Philly and Pittsburgh together can do similar for PA.

I found Philadelphian's as more in need of recognition over its state to in general overlooked to view outsiders negatively and toward interior Pennsylvanians. In IL the overlooking is toward the outside of tbe Chicago region by its largest city.

Again, simply put. Philadelphians vent PA lessens Philly region over and over on C-D. But in IL it is the Chicago metro continually pulls too much clout from the rest of the state.

Old 04-12-2020, 02:05 PM

9,378 posts, read 9,329,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
By the most obvious measure of 6th largest state economy in the US, I'd reckon.

I'm not sure why Boston is the "benchmark" here. If we were to break things down in metro terms, Philly is the 8th largest in size among all metro areas. And according to this source, as of 2016 (the latest per capita figures I could find), Philly has the 8th highest per capita GDP among the Top 40 metro areas, as well ($70,928):

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-e...-austin-2018-4

Formidable by any measure.
I think those prior silly comments prove your point of "old stereotypes die hard"

Both Pennsylvania and Philadelphia are very powerful economic players and are among the few states and cities that have held that title since this country began.
And as you pointed out, Philadelphia's GDP per capita falls right where it should be, using Boston as a point of measurement is not accurate for any other major metro.

Last edited by cpomp; 04-12-2020 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: edit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City