Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: #11-15 US cities?
Baltimore 15 11.19%
Denver 51 38.06%
Detroit 64 47.76%
Miami 82 61.19%
Minneapolis 64 47.76%
Phoenix 49 36.57%
San Diego 29 21.64%
Seattle 91 67.91%
Other 7 5.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 03:14 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,025,416 times

Advertisements

Detroit -Seattle tie for now but in the future Seattle. I think Seattle high cost wlll be an issue in the near future and slow it down but still will continue to rise.
Miami
Minneapolis
Phoenix
Denver
San Diego
Baltimore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 03:17 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,121,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
afaic, Sacramento has more importance than San Diego. You come off as a snob honestly. We happen to have two nationally renowned hospitals in the valley and are a top vacation destination during the cooler half of the year.
I mean, I absolutely love Phoenix and it would probably be one of my top 5 relocation destinations. But I'd be kidding myself to think that Phoenix is an important city outside of Arizona. Honestly...what exactly is Phoenix's impact on the world? What is its impact on the U.S.?

It has representation in sports (i.e. large media market) and has a sizeable airport? In the grand scheme of things, that's not very important.

Quote:
We aren't freaking Omaha or Wichita like you make us out to be!
Asserting that Phoenix isn't in the top 15 isn't claiming that it doesn't belong in the top 50. For a city of its size, Phoenix is surprisingly unimportant.

Old 04-30-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
And the places with a lot of economic/cultural impact will have a lot of bodies.

Compared to the top 10, it's not but there's no reason why it shouldn't be in the 11-15 category and yes, size does play a role there. It's the biggest hub of its region, the Desert Southwest, and a state capital.
Again, what national or global importance does Phoenix have? Sports teams and a medium-sized airport hub? Is that really that important?

I feel like people include Phoenix in the top 15 because they feel obligated to, but the justifications are very weak.

Old 04-30-2020, 03:20 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,592,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
I mean, I absolutely love Phoenix and it would probably be one of my top 5 relocation destinations. But I'd be kidding myself to think that Phoenix is an important city outside of Arizona. Honestly...what exactly is Phoenix's impact on the world? What is its impact on the U.S.?

It has representation in sports (i.e. large media market) and has a sizeable airport? In the grand scheme of things, that's not very important.

Asserting that Phoenix isn't in the top 15 isn't claiming that it doesn't belong in the top 50. For a city of its size, Phoenix is surprisingly unimportant.
San Diego isn't very important then. It's completely overshadowed by LA and the Bay Area, and doesn't even have as much importance in California as it does in the rest of the country.

Phoenix isn't a NYC or LA, and never will be, but it's more important than San Diego ffs

Old 04-30-2020, 04:29 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
Quote:
San Diego isn't very important then. It's completely overshadowed by LA and the Bay Area, and doesn't even have as much importance in California as it does in the rest of the country.

Phoenix isn't a NYC or LA, and never will be, but it's more important than San Diego ffs
I agree and Phoenix is more prominent than San Diego.

Old 04-30-2020, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Why yes, we are comparing a big fish in a small pond to a small fish in a big pond.

Quote:
Again, how? How is Phoenix more important than San Diego? An airport and sports teams? Being relevant to a single state?

The strategic value and global importance and impact of San Diego is far higher than Phoenix.

Old 04-30-2020, 04:33 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
I agree and Phoenix is more prominent than San Diego.
Not by much though. I would agree that Phoenix has a stronger metro area while San Diego has a stronger downtown.

Old 04-30-2020, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Why yes, we are comparing a big fish in a small pond to a small fish in a big pond.

Again, how? How is Phoenix more important than San Diego? An airport and sports teams? Being relevant to a single state?

The strategic value and global importance and impact of San Diego is far higher than Phoenix.
No, it isn't

Old 04-30-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
No, it isn't
The only examples you've provided for Phoenix being more prominent than San Diego are sports teams and a larger population. I threw in larger media market (the reason for sports teams) and medium-sized hub airport. In the grander scheme of things, these attributes have very little importance.

Case in point: look how important Phoenix is during this epidemic, with its airport and sports teams sidelined. Meanwhile, San Diego's biotech cluster is a leading global center for developing a cure and its medical military personal are being deployed around the country to save lives. That is importance.

San Diego has immense strategic value and importance to both trade and defense. It's a national tech/innovation hub and a global biotech/life sciences and telecommunications hub. Even on its own, San Diego easily goes toe-to-toe with Phoenix. Add in the other 2.1 million people in SW Riverside and Tijuana who comprise San Diego's economy, I'm not even sure how you can justify Phoenix being more important.

Again, please answer these two very simple questions: what exactly is Phoenix's impact on the world? What is its impact on the U.S.?

Old 04-30-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
The only examples you've provided for Phoenix being more prominent than San Diego are sports teams and a larger population. I threw in larger media market (the reason for sports teams) and medium-sized hub airport. In the grander scheme of things, these attributes have very little importance.

Case in point: look how important Phoenix is during this epidemic, with its airport and sports teams sidelined. Meanwhile, San Diego's biotech cluster is a leading global center for developing a cure and its medical military personal are being deployed around the country to save lives. That is importance.

San Diego has immense strategic value and importance to both trade and defense. It's a national tech/innovation hub and a global biotech/life sciences and telecommunications hub. Even on its own, San Diego easily goes toe-to-toe with Phoenix. Add in the other 2.1 million people in SW Riverside and Tijuana who comprise San Diego's economy, I'm not even sure how you can justify Phoenix being more important.

Again, please answer these two very simple questions: what exactly is Phoenix's impact on the world? What is its impact on the U.S.?
Whatever you half to tell yourself dude, whatever you have to tell yourself....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City