Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What US Cities Will Boom in the 2020s?
Salt Lake City 68 45.95%
Omaha 13 8.78%
Louisville 15 10.14%
Richmond 16 10.81%
Jacksonville 24 16.22%
Other City 54 36.49%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 10:07 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Louisville didn't merge with it's county for official stats.
Of course not; this is done for practical reasons which I already said (holding on to and expanding the tax base).

Quote:
The official census stats are based on part of the county, not the WHOLE county. Louisville did decline from the 70s to 90s. Not in the last 20 years, not in the least.
I only pointed out the decades the city shrunk because you made it sound like the city was never stagnant or lost population which is absurd because most cities did at some point since 1950.

Quote:
It's doing very very well. The metro estimate growth is 5% and that is at or above average for a top 50 metro. Where Louisville is booming is in hotels, tourism, and construction growth.
That's good to know and hopefully population growth catches up.

Quote:
I know you like to denigrate Louisville, but quit trying to make it look like a declining rust belt town, which it's not. And every year, Louisville's metro growth estimate has gone up. Just 2 years ago the estimate was at 2 or 3%. If Louisville's massive immigrant influx actually turns in their census papers, Louisville may get credit for what's going on.
It is simply not true that I like to denigrage Louisville so please stop that foolishness. I only question the outrageous and overly boosterish statements you make about your city when I come across them in threads like these. I've been to Louisville before and it's a fine city but you go way overboard in your cheerleading. Otherwise I have no strong feelings about it either way. I give it credit where it's due.

Quote:
Seriously dude, come up here and ask anyone if Louisville is declining or losing population. They will tell you that in Cleveland or Detroit, but not in Louisville!
I never said Louisville is losing population now but in the past it did and you implied that it never did.

Quote:
Oh....for the record, if we can count Caroline Hurricanes as a pro team, Louisville can count our tier 1 pro women's soccer team as well. They start play next year. And the tier 1B/Tier 2 USL soccer club is probably the top franchise in America with a new stadium that bests several in the MLS.
Here you go again. NHL is absolutely one of the big four professional major leagues and that's generally recognized. Women's tier 1 pro soccer isn't. This is yet another example of your overzealous boosterism and it really doesn't do your city any favors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2020, 11:42 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,121,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post
It seems you're hinging a 'boom' economy on whether or not a place has mass transit. In this day of COVID, that's not such a sure bet. Sorry, but most of those cities with trains are going to be paying a lot for very sparsely used transit.
I gave one example of political will to advance major investments. Hampton Roads is too fragmented in leadership and vision, plus its economy and politics do not support a boom.

The region hasn't achieved over 10% decade population growth since the 1980s and has had declining growth (raw and %) ever since.

So yes, there is no indication that Hampton Roads will boom while Richmond wallows. Anyone thinking Hampton Roads will grow at the expense of Richmond clearly has no understanding of the regions' dynamics.

Old 05-25-2020, 12:08 AM

597 posts, read 448,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Charlotte isn't Raleigh and you ignore the fact that Raleigh competed against Charlotte for all of those teams and lost. The most recent loss being MLS, which chose Charlotte just a few months back.

For all the Raleigh boosterism, there's no buzz about the city at all. I don't know how a city can grow to 2 million and be so devoid of a local identity.

Raleigh competed with Charlotte for a NFL and NBA franchise? Where did you read/hear that? Sounds like something you made up for this thread. Despite its name... MLS isn't major league in my opinion so I dont even count that.

Old 05-25-2020, 12:15 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,699,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
I'm a fan of my MLS team. But it's certainly not major league. At best it might be like European basketball or Japanese/Korean baseball...a lower tier league, and one where older top players can extend their careers.

As for who's booming in the 2020s, I'm thinking Seattle has a good chance. Being the center for cloud services, desktop business software, and online retail is helpful both during the pandemic and after.
I think this thread is about cities that been flying under the radar but have the potential to boom.

Seattle was already booming for most of the 2010s.

Old 05-25-2020, 12:40 PM

11 posts, read 9,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
How Raleigh NOT known as Nashville or Austin?
1. its the state capital
2. Duke, UNC and NC State are nearby
3 The Research Triangle is also nearby.

In terms of tech investment and research, it has to be better than Nashville and Charlotte. Austin has surpassed it.
I'm not sure why you quoted me or what your points have to do with my question but okay?

Old 05-25-2020, 12:46 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,851,017 times
I'd say Raleigh and the Triangle are in the same boat as the Norfolk area...a very small profile for a pretty important area.

Its components have their own brands, like Duke, but people don't necessarily group those brands under a city if they haven't been there. Or they have to think for a minute first.

Old 05-25-2020, 02:07 PM

527 posts, read 319,742 times
Raleigh is relatively known and has been booming for some time. It has great assets that bode well for its future.

Old 05-25-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
I'd say Raleigh and the Triangle are in the same boat as the Norfolk area...a very small profile for a pretty important area.

Its components have their own brands, like Duke, but people don't necessarily group those brands under a city if they haven't been there. Or they have to think for a minute first.
I'd have to disagree. I think the rapid growth of the Triangle compared to Hampton Roads, plus its appearance at the top of several "best cities" lists, would indicate a higher profile. And I do believe the Triangle is often thought of collectively, maybe not as the Triangle but certainly as Raleigh/Durham.

Old 05-26-2020, 08:14 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Quote:
This is accurate. People may loosely associate the universities with Raleigh, but more often the universities are just associated in a "North Carolina" sense, that people know they are in the not-Charlotte part of NC...

I think Rgh's profile is rising, as there is some association with a high quality of life, great economy, and tech scene, but overall those descriptors are more known in context of the overall Triangle region, rather than association with just Rgh itself. On this board Rgh is given a larger profile because people here are naturally more interested and learned in "city data" and information...

Outside, if you ask someone to name a few things they associate with Rgh, you're gonna draw more blanks after one or two descriptions, rather than find a bunch of people who associate Rgh specifically with a lot of things...

Old 05-26-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Outside, if you ask someone to name a few things they associate with Rgh, you're gonna draw more blanks after one or two descriptions, rather than find a bunch of people who associate Rgh specifically with a lot of things...
Aside from the nation's biggest cities, most cities are pretty much known (beyond their immediate area) for just one or two things though, if that, and one or both of them are likely to be sports-related for the cities that have major league teams or are a hotbed for a particular sport so I wouldn't really categorize Raleigh as something of an outlier there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City