Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2020, 10:53 AM

12,891 posts, read 9,632,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Mexican descent people rarely consider themselves white in the US, and are not perceived as white. Most have more than enough indigenous blood to not look "white" by Americsn standards.

The idea that they're not "real" minorities is laughable.

Lol have you been to Austin? There are Mexican restaurants everywhere. It might not have as many FOB Hispanics as Houston and Dallas, but the Hispanic population is still huge and growing almost as fast as the white population.
Lol for real. You can’t throw a dead cat without hitting a Mexican restaurant there. But of course some of those are owned by white hispanics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2020, 10:56 AM

12,891 posts, read 9,632,333 times
Quote:
Most Hispanics in Texas are of Mexican and Central American descent, the overwhelming majority do not consider themselves white or look white by American standards.

I'm from New York and I consider Austin to be very liberal.
I know of one Hispanic guy who calls himself white and people said he was ashamed of being Mexican behind his back

Despite its whiteness, Hilary garnered a larger percent of votes there than in super diverse Houston and Dallas.

Old 06-09-2020, 10:58 AM

6,223 posts, read 3,617,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Lol for real. You can’t throw a dead cat without hitting a Mexican restaurant there. But of course some of those are owned by white hispanics
That's possible but when I was in Austin and Pflugerville/Round Rock, there was an obviously high non-white Hispanic population.

Old 06-09-2020, 11:00 AM

6,223 posts, read 3,617,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I know of one Hispanic guy who calls himself white and people said he was ashamed of being Mexican behind his back

Despite its whiteness, Hilary garnered a larger percent of votes there than in super diverse Houston and Dallas.
I'm sure there are some people like that out there, it's just not common.
I've seen white looking Hispanics get mad for being "mistaken" as white.

Old 06-09-2020, 11:15 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,643,881 times
Austin has a big Hispanic population. But let’s be honest, the only time when I see Hispanic people in abundance in Austin is literally confined to their neighborhoods or on the outer skirts of Austin CONFINED to their neighborhoods. I mean look at what Foamposite said. “There are Mexican restaurants everywhere.” That’s literally the extent of a Mexican presence outside of their gentrifying communities in the core of Austin. Literally whenever me and my friends go to Austin we count how many Black people we’ve seen throughout our stay. A little secret, a lot of Black Texans do this when visiting Austin. The lack of Black spaces and people in the popular areas. The areas that attract so many to want to visit Austin in the first place it’s pretty damn obvious.

Literally Domain in Austin is the closest thing to a Houston or Dallas when it comes to entertainment/retail districts. I still like Austin. It’s a great place to visit. Wouldn’t live there though.

Old 06-09-2020, 11:18 AM

2,239 posts, read 1,415,432 times
The obsession on skin color (one of an infinite number of human traits) is a rather bizare American quality, but the more important point is that if the goal is cultural diversity, clearly Hispanics are providing that. If anything Latin American cultures are probably more distinct from "white America" than is African American culture. Like I mentioned before, Austin has twice as many per-capita non-english speakers than Atlanta.

A thread "Why aren't minorities moving to these cities" including a city that has a 2 million population and 160k minority migrants in five years is ridiculous.

Old 06-09-2020, 11:31 AM

21,745 posts, read 12,888,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
The title of the thread has been changed to reflect African Americans as opposed to minorities. Whereiend requested it and I agreed.

The other part of the title was "Liberal Majority White". Austin does still fit that criteria by metro area which is where these numbers come from.
metro are makes no sense to me . most cities' metros are majority white and most cities are liberal..

at the same tie i see what youre saying about Austin Hispanic being relatively "white" and assimilated compared to some other places, seems a little offensive though

Old 06-09-2020, 11:35 AM

5,855 posts, read 5,664,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post

So, what is the difference? Why wouldnt African Americans find Austin, Denver, Portland, or Salt Lake City as appealing as even Phoenix or Orlando? You and I are not black so we cant answer, but others on here are. The idea is to get their take.
Those areas are all removed from the heartbeat of Black America, with a variety of characteristics to underline that. That's the simplest answer to me, all answers fall under that...

I've known a black man from Charlotte who moved to Salt Lake and liked it, but he's the only person I ever met who spoke of SLC as appealing in any way. Pdx is actually mildly popular with black natives of NorCal; my dad lived there for awhile and loves it, my brother's brother has lived there on two separate occasions and loved it; I have a sister who goes to UOregon and has spent alota time there and enjoys it; Dame Lillard loves it there; etc. Outside of that, nah...

I've never met anybody black who stan Atx. I have met and heard of several people who stan Denver, but it's somewhat remote and off the beaten path for most Black Americans...

The 21st century Black man and woman are most comfortable in the cultural nexus of Black America, the South, which us evidenced by the reverse migration to the South for many black people and families over the last 20 years. If we're gonna live outside the South, we prefer areas with long entrenched systems of culture and black success. There are very few exceptions to this rule, like Phx and Vegas don't have esteemed black histories but are popular with blacks from across the country...

Economics and a variety of factors play into this bit the South has a different ecosystem for us than anywhere else, and many/most of us that are upwardly mobile prefer the unique level of amenities and atmosphere that the South provides...

Old 06-09-2020, 11:40 AM

21,745 posts, read 12,888,027 times
Quote:
That's only because they can't just pick "Hispanic" for race.
Trust me, most Hispanics do not consider themselves white. I would argue that most even assimilate more to African-American culture.
Yea..in the northeast where were from dude .But weve had this argument before. You think everyone everywhere is the same.

Old 06-09-2020, 11:40 AM

3,181 posts, read 2,231,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
And Atlanta's white growth rate in absolute numbers is actually high relative to most cities. Most major cities in the Northeast and Midwest are actually losing white people.
This is very true, and also applies to certain Sun Belt locations such as most of California and southeast Florida. The trend of non-Hispanic white decline in the US is likely to accelerate and spread to more areas, given the population skews much older compared to "minorities" (the median age is about 44 for whites vs. 31 for nonwhites in recent years). Stating the obvious, older demographics are going to have more deaths and fewer births than younger populations.

Pew Research Center
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City