Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2020, 12:46 PM

5,901 posts, read 5,701,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Hah, didn't meant to imply that was a uniform opinion. Just that, with a few cities like Atlanta, DFW, etc pulling in huge numbers of AA migrants, it's expected that other cities will bring in fewer. You can't expect a population that is 12% of the country to have a dominant presence in every single city on the continent.
I got you, I just wanted to point that out as it's a popular talking point on here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2020, 12:49 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,128,791 times
Quote:
A question for another thread: What is it about Houston that repulses white Americans so much? Is it the humidity? The sprawl? The faint smell of oil?
Classic, smug Austitude. Maybe that's why AA's are turned off by it? It's quite remarkable that posters from other highly sought after places (Denver, Portland, etc.) are not the least bit bothered about this thread yet Austinites crap their pants if others don't find their city to be the BEST of the BEST in the entire world. Austin is without a doubt the city version of the "American Exceptionalism" mentality. "We're #1!"

Old 06-09-2020, 01:03 PM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 27 days ago)

8,466 posts, read 5,613,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Despite its whiteness, Hilary garnered a larger percent of votes there than in super diverse Houston and Dallas.
But wasnt that part of the topic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Yes, Mexican restaurants are an example of Latino culture. Probably the most obvious one, as far as the US goes.

And US born Hispanic absolutely do assimilate to black American culture at a high rate. You're not going to walk around California or Texas and see Hispanic kids blasting mariachi music or wearing traditional Mexican attire. Hip hop and hip hop fashion are more likely.

I don't know any Hispanics period who actually identify as white. Even the ones who actually look white or even have a white parent.
Two things:
1) Once again, it has not been my experience at ALL that most American born Hispanics here or in California act black. Not by a long shot.

2) Hispanic demographics run the gamut. For Austin, they have a lot of Mexicans thats true, but not really much of anything else in that demographic. Ill show you.

Below are number of new Hispanic residents in a 5 year period comparing Austin, DFW, and Houston. For DFW and Houston, I listed the top 5. Austin didnt have another Hispanic demographic that produced more than 10k new residents:

Houston:
Mexico - 172,088
El Salvador - 46,089
Honduras - 37,905
Puerto Rico - 16,962
Colombia - 15,876

Dallas/Fort Worth:
Mexico - 168,878
El Salvador - 21,802
Honduras - 15,944
Venezuela - 11,609
Puerto Rico - 10,451

Austin:
Mexico: 70,765

So saying Austin has a lot of "Hispanic" residents and culture is true, but that culture is very weighted towards only Mexican. Im not saying no other Hispanic demographic exists there, but just not so much in a critical mass that would make it stand out.

Quote:
Your OP said "minorities". I'm glad that we are now at least speaking openly about the issue being "where black people are moving", rather than coding that with "diversity" and "minorities". As you pointed out, Austin has gained 160k minorities in only five years. That's pretty damn good. It's actually only slightly less than Houston's minority growth per capita.

In black growth Austin is middling, but not terrible really. When a few cities soak up huge numbers of black people, it's expected that other cities will fall below the mean. That is simply math. There are only so many African Americans to go around.

A question for another thread: What is it about Houston that repulses white Americans so much? Is it the humidity? The sprawl? The faint smell of oil?
Growth between Austin and Houston's is not really comparable. They are the inverse of each other. The percentage :

Austin:
White: 108,394 - 40%
Hispanic: 106,853 - 40%
Asian: 35,526 - 13%
Black: 18,455 - 7%

Houston:
Hispanic: 352,964 - 54%
Black: 125,117 - 19%
Asian: 109,341 - 17%
White: 67,022 - 10%

Houston's white growth is 10% of its total. Austin's is 40%. Thats a big difference.

Why dont white people like Houston? Well, Im not white either but Ill try and take a stab at this one.
1) The humidity is a factor
2) They see it as "ghetto"
3) They dont like the blue collar nature of the city
4) The dont like the organization (No-zoning)
5) They think its dirty.
6) They dont like being around too many foreign people.

Houston has great cultural amenities, but not enough to outweigh that I guess.

The city doesnt smell like oil so that isnt it. The sprawl factor is no better in Austin or Denver so thats not it either. Houston is just bigger than those two and less appealing to whites.

Last edited by As Above So Below...; 06-09-2020 at 01:13 PM..

Old 06-09-2020, 01:17 PM

2,263 posts, read 1,436,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post

Austin:

Houston:

Houston's white growth is 10% of its total. Austin's is 40%. Thats a big difference.
Austin gained 161K minorities with a metro population of 2,168,316. That means that in five years Austin gained the equivalent of 7.4% of it's population in minorities.

Houston gained 587k minorities with a metro population of 6,997,384. That means Houston gained the equivalent of 8.4% of it's population in minorities.

7.4 - 8.4 is... pretty damn similar.

The real difference between Austin and Houston is that Austin was much, much, more popular for whites. It's not Austin failing to attract minorities, it's Houston failing to attract whites.

Old 06-09-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Austin gained 161K minorities with a metro population of 2,168,316. That means that in five years Austin gained the equivalent of 7.4% of it's population in minorities.

Houston gained 587k minorities with a metro population of 6,997,384. That means Houston gained the equivalent of 8.4% of it's population in minorities.

7.4 - 8.4 is... pretty damn similar.

The real difference between Austin and Houston is that Austin was much, much, more popular for whites. It's not Austin failing to attract minorities, it's Houston failing to attract whites.
Austin is failing to attract black residents moreso than Houston is failing to attract whites. 7% vs. 10%. Both are not doing a good job with those specific demographics.

You asked me why Houston wasnt popular for whites, I answered. Why do you think Austin isnt popular for black residents?

Another important thing to remember is the difference between international and domestic numbers into both metros:

Houston - Domestic: 7,147 / International: 30,746
Austin - Domestic: 41,334 / International: 5,280

Austin actually has more people moving to it overall. But the devil is in the details as Ive mentioned many time on this thread.

Last edited by As Above So Below...; 06-09-2020 at 01:29 PM..

Old 06-09-2020, 01:28 PM

12,926 posts, read 9,691,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
Classic, smug Austitude. Maybe that's why AA's are turned off by it? It's quite remarkable that posters from other highly sought after places (Denver, Portland, etc.) are not the least bit bothered about this thread yet Austinites crap their pants if others don't find their city to be the BEST of the BEST in the entire world. Austin is without a doubt the city version of the "American Exceptionalism" mentality. "We're #1!"
Nobody, nobody that defends Austin has said that. And I'm like four cities removed from Austin. Haven't lived there i nyears.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
ehh. I think the South is the popular destination but I find black people who like tons of cities. MY wife's friend from Essex County NJ like SLC.

My brother likes ATX. I really liked my visit to Pittsburgh.

The South just has more clout and its chain migration basically. IDK if i'm more comfortable in the south-really, i know im not
Kind of like how Asians prefer the coasts vs Omaha right?
Quote:

Two things:
1) Once again, it has not been my experience at ALL that most American born Hispanics here or in California act black. Not by a long shot.

2) Hispanic demographics run the gamut. For Austin, they have a lot of Mexicans thats true, but not really much of anything else in that demographic. Ill show you.

Below are number of new Hispanic residents in a 5 year period comparing Austin, DFW, and Houston. For DFW and Houston, I listed the top 5. Austin didnt have another Hispanic demographic that produced more than 10k new residents:

Houston:
Mexico - 172,088
El Salvador - 46,089
Honduras - 37,905
Puerto Rico - 16,962
Colombia - 15,876

Dallas/Fort Worth:
Mexico - 168,878
El Salvador - 21,802
Honduras - 15,944
Venezuela - 11,609
Puerto Rico - 10,451

Austin:

So saying Austin has a lot of "Hispanic" residents and culture is true, but that culture is very weighted towards only Mexican. Im not saying no other Hispanic demographic exists there, but just not so much in a critical mass that would make it stand out.

Growth between Austin and Houston's is not really comparable. They are the inverse of each other. The percentage :

Austin:

Houston:

Why dont white people like Houston? Well, Im not white either but Ill try and take a stab at this one.
5) They think its dirty.

The city doesnt smell like oil so that isnt it. The sprawl factor is no better in Austin or Denver so thats not it either. Houston is just bigger than those two and less appealing to whites.
So now we're gonna say Austin's hispanic community isn't diverse enough? Why would any Honduran choose Austin over Houston or Dallas? They like big city amenities, the things the "white librals" may find enlightening about Austin is likely not appealing to an immigrant. They're gonna head to the larger cities.

Old 06-09-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Nobody, nobody that defends Austin has said that. And I'm like four cities removed from Austin. Haven't lived there i nyears.

Kind of like how Asians prefer the coasts vs Omaha right?

So now we're gonna say Austin's hispanic community isn't diverse enough? Why would any Honduran choose Austin over Houston or Dallas? They like big city amenities, the things the "white librals" may find enlightening about Austin is likely not appealing to an immigrant. They're gonna head to the larger cities.
Hondurans like big city amenities? How do you make that statement compared to any other immigrant group?

Old 06-09-2020, 02:05 PM

6,224 posts, read 3,636,240 times
Quote:
Hondurans like big city amenities? How do you make that statement compared to any other immigrant group?
There are a lot of Hondurans in suburbs and small cities (like Kenner, LA) so I personally disagree with that claim.

Old 06-09-2020, 02:20 PM

6,224 posts, read 3,636,240 times
Quote:

Two things:

Houston:
Mexico - 172,088
El Salvador - 46,089
Honduras - 37,905
Puerto Rico - 16,962
Colombia - 15,876

Dallas/Fort Worth:
Mexico - 168,878
El Salvador - 21,802
Honduras - 15,944
Venezuela - 11,609
Puerto Rico - 10,451

Austin:

Austin:

Houston:

5) They think its dirty.

Mexico isn't really that different from Central America, and they tend to move to the same places more or less.

And whether it's all Mexican or mixed, it's still equally Hispanic either way.

Old 06-09-2020, 03:11 PM

4,398 posts, read 4,659,518 times
Quote:
My point is that Austin is on this list only because the OP is a Houstonian that is butthurt about Austin being the popular kid at school. Austin is not a particularly white city in this country.
OP is originally from California. What Austin deep down inside aspires to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City