Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 11:59 AM

795 posts, read 481,730 times

Advertisements

I would vote for Tri-City area of North Carolina here too.

I like the Southeast better than the Northwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2020, 03:18 PM

515 posts, read 252,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sono-Italiano View Post
Seattle has become one of the most dangerous cities in the country. Throw in the awful weather and this should be an easy win for North Carolina.
Seattle is not one of the most dangerous places in the country. That crown belongs to Detroit, Baltimore, Memphis, etc. Seattle is in the same class with Boston and Portland in terms of safety IMO. Although for conservative ideas, then sure Seattle may qualify for that standard

Old 08-05-2020, 04:03 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
Seattle has a tiny murder rate vs. much of the US (though it's high by the standards of most of the first world).

I never feel unsafe at all. I'm a guy though.

Old 08-05-2020, 04:22 PM

82 posts, read 51,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncstateofmind View Post
Seattle is not one of the most dangerous places in the country. That crown belongs to Detroit, Baltimore, Memphis, etc. Seattle is in the same class with Boston and Portland in terms of safety IMO. Although for conservative ideas, then sure Seattle may qualify for that standard
Wow, if one is comparing one's safety to Portland OR of all places, then one should be terrified.

Old 08-05-2020, 04:36 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,708,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Seattle has a tiny murder rate vs. much of the US (though it's high by the standards of most of the first world).

I never feel unsafe at all. I'm a guy though.
Seattle proper just misses being in that tier of the safest US cities (violent crime rate is still significantly higher than San Diego, San Jose, etc.) but it is very much right there in the tier just below those places and worlds away from being among the most dangerous cities in the US. Stop watching Fox News.

Old 08-05-2020, 05:11 PM

11,778 posts, read 7,989,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance-lor View Post
Yes, Seattle offers a higher teacher salary than North Carolina. I just do not know if it all works out to be somewhat the same when you include other living expenses. I've heard you need to make about 80,000 to live well in Seattle. That is more than, I think, the Triangle requires. There are a lot of variables that impact the salary like district and if the school is public or not.
You need to make more than $80k to live well in Seattle. $130k will do you decently but you won’t be a home owner, that doesn’t happen until north of maybe $175k.

If budget is an issue, RTP easily, do not go to Seattle if you’re concerned about finances period. The only issue is you will have to deal with pollen.

Old 08-05-2020, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post

I never feel unsafe at all.
But how much of that is because of your privilege?

Old 08-06-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
Seattle proper just misses being in that tier of the safest US cities (violent crime rate is still significantly higher than San Diego, San Jose, etc.) but it is very much right there in the tier just below those places and worlds away from being among the most dangerous cities in the US. Stop watching Fox News.
You don't need Fox to reach the conclusion that Seattle has become deadly. Watch the national news. Look at videos on social media.

Old 08-06-2020, 11:06 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
My biggest issue with the Triangle is you really are not that close to Mountains. It's a good 3-4 hours away to any good hikes. Pilot Mountain may be the closest and that is about 2 hours from Raleigh. Raleigh is a great place to live, super livable. But it's a bit flat I think.

Old 08-06-2020, 11:19 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
My biggest issue with the Triangle is you really are not that close to Mountains. It's a good 3-4 hours away to any good hikes. Pilot Mountain may be the closest and that is about 2 hours from Raleigh. Raleigh is a great place to live, super livable. But it's a bit flat I think.
Most of the Triangle is long, gently rolling hills at the eastern end of the Piedmont. Certainly there are flatter areas, and it's going to be much flatter than the general Seattle area with much less variation in elevation. Many of the major roads have flattened the terrain, but the legacy nature of the actual terrain are retained in areas like Wade Ave. in Raleigh, which goes up and down these rolling hills.

The biggest disconnect for the OP is going to be the pollen. Like the majority of the east coast, the Triangle is not immune to pollen, and the dump it gets each Spring in April (from the pine trees) can look apocalyptic for a few weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City