Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better summer scenery: Tahoe area mountains vs. Great Smokies?
Great Smokies 15 44.12%
Tahoe area Mountains are better even without considering the lake. 18 52.94%
Tahoe, but only because of the lake 1 2.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 04:26 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,858 times

Advertisements

I've only been to Tahoe in the summer. I've heard stories about how beautiful Lake Tahoe is, but I'm pretty sure that applies mostly to the winter months, when Tahoe is blanketed in snow. Tahoe does have forests and the Lake but surprisingly it actually did feel pretty dry, looked a bit semi arid in climate.

I've also only been to the Great Smokies during the summer. I actually found the Smokies to be more appealing and inviting during the summer. Greener than Tahoe, for one. And it just had this perpetual, ever changing sea of mist and rain that actually looked a lot like smoke. Didn't see that in Tahoe during the summer other than this brief, rather dry, thunderstorm.

Also, I'd argue that it's not the elevation of a peak but rather it's prominence that determine it's beauty. The highest peak around Tahoe, Freel Mountain, actually has less prominence than the tallest peak in the Smokies, Clongmans Dome.

I can see why people are still going to choose Tahoe, because it has a lake but I think if you're just talking about the mountains and not the lake, the Great Smokies wins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2020, 04:41 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,129,553 times
It depends on whether people look at botany or topography. Topo people will say Tahoe, the others will say the Smokies.

People seem to diverge here, and can't reconcile. It's either "your mountains are a giant pile of cold, hard rocks", or no, "yours are small mounds with trees".

The Rogue River / Siskiyou mountains would probably be a closer comparison to the Smokies than the Tahoe area, then we'd be comparing the biodiversity hotspots of the US.

Old 08-13-2020, 04:46 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,750,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I've only been to Tahoe in the summer. I've heard stories about how beautiful Lake Tahoe is, but I'm pretty sure that applies mostly to the winter months, when Tahoe is blanketed in snow. Tahoe does have forests and the Lake but surprisingly it actually did feel pretty dry, looked a bit semi arid in climate.

I've also only been to the Great Smokies during the summer. I actually found the Smokies to be more appealing and inviting during the summer. Greener than Tahoe, for one. And it just had this perpetual, ever changing sea of mist and rain that actually looked a lot like smoke. Didn't see that in Tahoe during the summer other than this brief, rather dry, thunderstorm.

Also, I'd argue that it's not the elevation of a peak but rather it's prominence that determine it's beauty. The highest peak around Tahoe, Freel Mountain, actually has less prominence than the tallest peak in the Smokies, Clongmans Dome.

I can see why people are still going to choose Tahoe, because it has a lake but I think if you're just talking about the mountains and not the lake, the Great Smokies wins.
So you're just looking at the trees and ignoring the lake. Brilliant.

You do know Tahoe was formed, correct? The collapse of a volcano. That's why it's rocky compared to the Smokies, which were formed by glaciers.

We've had quite a few thunderstorms the last couple of years. I like how make all these conditions to justify your choice.

Last edited by Vic Romano; 08-13-2020 at 05:04 PM..

Old 08-13-2020, 04:50 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
I don't get how someone doesn't find Lake Tahoe beautiful in summer. The mountains look prettier with all the snow in winter but I think the lake itself looks the same or better in summer imo.

Old 08-13-2020, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I don't get how someone doesn't find Lake Tahoe beautiful in summer. The mountains look prettier with all the snow in winter but I think the lake itself looks the same or better in summer imo.
I can see it when you consider the lake. But let's say the lake was filled it completely and it just became a flat Alpine meadow. At that point I think most people would say the Smokies look a lot better. If we're just talking about the mountains and not the actual lake then the Smokies look a lot better in the summer.

Old 08-13-2020, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
It depends on whether people look at botany or topography. Topo people will say Tahoe, the others will say the Smokies.

People seem to diverge here, and can't reconcile. It's either "your mountains are a giant pile of cold, hard rocks", or no, "yours are small mounds with trees".

The Rogue River / Siskiyou mountains would probably be a closer comparison to the Smokies than the Tahoe area, then we'd be comparing the biodiversity hotspots of the US.
I guess, some people prefer rocks to very lush forests. But the Smokies does have some rocks like the Chimney Tops. And Clingmans Dome has a higher prominence than any peak surrounding Tahoe. And prominence, not elevation, determines the beauty of a mountain.

I have been to Crater Lake in June. and I'd say that Crater Lake also beats Tahoe.

Old 08-13-2020, 04:56 PM

Quote:
I can see it when you consider the lake. But let's say the lake was filled it completely and it just became a flat Alpine meadow. At that point I think most people would say the Smokies look a lot better. If we're just talking about the mountains and not the actual lake then the Smokies look a lot better in the summer.
Then why don't you just compare the northern Sierra Nevada mountains with the Smokies if you don't want to consider Lake Tahoe into the picture?

Old 08-13-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Then why don't you just compare the northern Sierra Nevada mountains with the Smokies if you don't want to consider Lake Tahoe into the picture?
Because arguably Northern Sierra Mountains outside of Tahoe have more impressive peaks than those surrounding Lake Tahoe, and my hunch is that Tahoe scenic appeal is mostly in the lake and the snow and really not so much in the mountains themselves. In that regard, perhaps Michigan's Upper Peninsula could beat Tahoe, with its much larger lakes. Wouldn't you rather see Lake Superior than Lake Tahoe? It's far bigger, after all. It also has lots of snow, maybe not as much as Tahoe, but plenty enough to make it a winter wonderland.

Old 08-13-2020, 05:15 PM

2,905 posts, read 2,003,475 times
You should go to bass lake, jester.
It kind of feels like the smokey mountains and Tahoe had a little baby. Just don't go during a heatwave cause it can still get hot(elevation isn't too high)

Old 08-13-2020, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Because arguably Northern Sierra Mountains outside of Tahoe have more impressive peaks than those surrounding Lake Tahoe, and my hunch is that Tahoe scenic appeal is mostly in the lake and the snow and really not so much in the mountains themselves. In that regard, perhaps Michigan's Upper Peninsula could beat Tahoe, with its much larger lakes. Wouldn't you rather see Lake Superior than Lake Tahoe? It's far bigger, after all. It also has lots of snow, maybe not as much as Tahoe, but plenty enough to make it a winter wonderland.
So basically you want to make sure you handicap your CA location so more people choose the other one?

Tahoe's scenic appeal is the lake AND the mountains together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City