Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is most associated with the United States?
New York City 127 78.88%
Los Angeles 48 29.81%
Chicago 23 14.29%
DC 37 22.98%
Philadelphia 7 4.35%
Houston 4 2.48%
Dallas 6 3.73%
Atlanta 3 1.86%
Miami 6 3.73%
San Francisco 6 3.73%
Boston 4 2.48%
Seattle 6 3.73%
San Diego 5 3.11%
Other (specify) 6 3.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 07:41 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,558,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimumingyu View Post
True.
Lol. Not hardly.

Washington DC, NYC, Los Angeles...after those any combination of Chicago, Miami, Dallas etc.

QUOTE=AshbyQuin;59484372]I have to laugh at the nations capital not dominating the poll[/quote]

People are either being simple or just ignorant. America’s capital city would obviously be more immediately associated than most others. DC is in people’s faces whether they care about it or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2020, 07:54 PM

955 posts, read 610,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Lol. Not hardly.

Washington DC, NYC, Los Angeles...after those any combination of Chicago, Miami, Dallas etc..
If we're talking about the view from non-Americans, DC is not nearly as well-represented as NYC or LA internationally. It's definitely not the city that pop into people's heads when they hear "America."

Old 10-23-2020, 08:33 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,117,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Lol. Not hardly.

Washington DC, NYC, Los Angeles...after those any combination of Chicago, Miami, Dallas etc.

QUOTE=AshbyQuin;59484372]I have to laugh at the nations capital not dominating the poll
People are either being simple or just ignorant. America’s capital city would obviously be more immediately associated than most others. DC is in people’s faces whether they care about it or not.[/quote]

I voted for DC. There's a lot of DC bashers here who let their feelings get in the way of reality. DC has appeared in the world news every day for the past 4 years. The POTUS is arguably one of, if not the most well-known individuals in the world. I don't understand how someone can sit here with a straight face and vote for NYC or LA.

Old 10-23-2020, 08:39 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,117,427 times
Quote:
If we're talking about the view from non-Americans, DC is not nearly as well-represented as NYC or LA internationally. It's definitely not the city that pop into people's heads when they hear "America."
???

DC is far more internationally popular than either city. You think someone without access to the internet and social media has a clue about NYC LA Miami and Vegas? I'm willing to bet there's far more people in those situations that hate DC than have a clue where or what NYC or LA even is.

Old 10-23-2020, 08:52 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
DC is far more internationally popular than either city.
Absolutely not. Not to mention, following American politics doesn't imply a familiarity with or interest in the city of Washington. Even people who keep a close eye on the POTUS and Congress from a foreign country probably don't know Georgetown as well as say, Brooklyn or Beverly Hills.

Old 10-23-2020, 09:01 PM

153 posts, read 101,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
That’s a pretty loaded statement whatever that means. Is Chicago where real Americans live?
Chicago has a rich blue collar culture that the other top 5 cities (NYC/LA/DC/SF) lack. It's also just not as international as some of the other cities, so yeah, it does fit the script of a "true American city". Being in the Midwest also gives it some level of a "humble" reputation, and residents tend to be friendlier than in coastal cities, on average.

Not to mention the city's history in general, is a good barometer for the nation's history too (past the 1800's). It started out from nothing, and became the world's biggest boom city, massively in industry. Then many of those blue collar/industrial jobs left in the 50's-80's, being the perfect example of a city going from boom to gritty. I think to this day, Chicago is the best city that measures how well America is doing. And its history is unquestionably the best example of an industrial, major American city there is.

I think a lot of people commenting here are confused on the question. This thread is not about "which cities are most well known abroad". It's "which city is most associated with the U.S.". I think the true, and only real answer is NYC, but Chicago, Boston, and Philly are probably behind that. I could see an argument for DC too, but for different reasons. I don't associate LA, Miami, or SF with red white and blue. I just don't, and again it puzzles me why so many are saying otherwise.

Last edited by DamenVChicago; 10-23-2020 at 09:19 PM..

Old 10-23-2020, 09:22 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,014,760 times
Quote:
People are either being simple or just ignorant. America’s capital city would obviously be more immediately associated than most others. DC is in people’s faces whether they care about it or not.
[/quote]I voted for DC. There's a lot of DC bashers here who let their feelings get in the way of reality. DC has appeared in the world news every day for the past 4 years. The POTUS is arguably one of, if not the most well-known individuals in the world. I don't understand how someone can sit here with a straight face and vote for NYC or LA.[/quote]

And even if people don't pay attention to real-life American politics, DC has tremendous global exposure due to many movies or TV series that involves espionage, warfare, terrorism, politics, etc.

Old 10-23-2020, 10:13 PM

955 posts, read 610,191 times
Quote:
???

DC is far more internationally popular than either city. You think someone without access to the internet and social media has a clue about NYC LA Miami and Vegas? I'm willing to bet there's far more people in those situations that hate DC than have a clue where or what NYC or LA even is.
As mentioned, when someone in Australia or Japan or India thinks "America" the first city that pops into their mind is not Washington DC. If I say "I'm from the US" while in South Korea, no one asks "oh, DC?" but they will ask "New York? California?"

New York City and LA (or California in general) are brands that are internationally famous. There are foreign fashion or cosmetics companies that will put LA or New York after their company name just to get the cache of those cities. When Shake Shack or Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf move into a new country, the marketing and PR all highlights "New York's favorite burger" or "LA's #1 coffee." I don't think I've ever (or will ever) see something similar for DC.

And yes, people knew about NYC or LA before the advent of the Internet or social media.

Old 10-23-2020, 10:16 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,639 times
Where's FL (Orlando) for Disney World?

Old 10-24-2020, 04:20 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,558,075 times
Quote:
Who said DC was the most represented country from the US? I've never spoken that in my lifetime. The OP is asking for three cities most associated, NY and LA are only two., DC would be the third. I also said the list should be 5, as three is very disingenuous. There isn't a major newscast, or newspaper in the world that doesn't either start off with the headline "Washington" at some point almost daily. The country's three most prominent media/news hubs are those three cities period. I don't know how many times I've had to point this out.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...ngeles-or-d-c/

This repeated attempt to "put DC in it's place" by you guys simply hasn't been working. America's capital city would obviously be of the most names "associated" with the country.

Last edited by the resident09; 10-24-2020 at 04:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City