Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is most associated with the United States?
New York City 127 78.88%
Los Angeles 48 29.81%
Chicago 23 14.29%
DC 37 22.98%
Philadelphia 7 4.35%
Houston 4 2.48%
Dallas 6 3.73%
Atlanta 3 1.86%
Miami 6 3.73%
San Francisco 6 3.73%
Boston 4 2.48%
Seattle 6 3.73%
San Diego 5 3.11%
Other (specify) 6 3.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 06:01 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,311,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The international visitor statistics kinda tell the story here. I'd have to agree that it's DC, Boston, Chicago, and SF over Philly. Being in NYC's shadow has an effect. And I'm a big fan of Philly so it's no bias against the place on my part.
Ben Franklin is on the front (Pennsylvania statesmen) and the Pennsylvania State House (on the back) of the most sought after currency in the world. The $100 bill. lol

As I will say again. You can look at my quote above. Boston is on no currency. Most Europeans do: NYC, PHL, DC and FL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2020, 06:02 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,029,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
It is more historic than Boston.
While I don’t think it’s possible for a newer city to be more historic, I think Boston is probably better known for Harvard/MIT and its sports teams than for US history.

Though I didn’t vote for it in the poll.

Old 10-27-2020, 07:44 PM

955 posts, read 609,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
My friends also said California (not a city, but that is a common answer).
This reminds me of how many people I've encountered outside of the US who think Denver or Chicago are states, or that Oregon is a city, etc. Plenty of people I've met don't realize Hawai'i is part of the US, either. Or (much to the chagrin of DC boosters here) that New York City is the capital of the US.

Americans really overestimate how well foreigners know the USA's geography.

Old 10-27-2020, 07:51 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Ben Franklin is on the front (Pennsylvania statesmen) and the Pennsylvania State House (on the back) of the most sought after currency in the world. The $100 bill. lol

As I will say again. You can look at my quote above. Boston is on no currency. Most Europeans do: NYC, PHL, DC and FL.
Nobody uses cash like that these days, and $1 and $20 bills are way more popular for day-to-day transactions. This year excepted due to pandemic-induced account withdrawals, actual demand for $100 bills is low; I don't even remember the last time I saw one and I get cash from the ATM or cash back during transactions from time to time. People are stockpiling currency these days which is why there's a shortage of it in circulation.

Boston isn't on any currency but it still gets more international visitors than Philly. Where are you getting your information from? In 2019, Philly ranked 17th in the U.S. for international visitors excluding Canada and Mexico. SF was 5th, DC was 8th, Boston was 9th, and Chicago placed 10th. (Source [Excel file] from U.S. Department of Commerce, National Travel and Tourism Office)

Old 10-27-2020, 08:00 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times
Quote:
The international visitor statistics kinda tell the story here. I'd have to agree that it's DC, Boston, Chicago, and SF over Philly. Being in NYC's shadow has an effect. And I'm a big fan of Philly so it's no bias against the place on my part.
Everyone is making really good points lately. I love it.
I wouldn't lay all my cards on the international visitors at least for anywhere in the Boston Washington corridor.
I would imagine that Europeans and Asians would be the biggest chunks of international visitors. These visitors when they travel they do it in patterns. For example. I would fly from the US to some relative in Geneva and from there I can visit many cities in France, Germany, Italy and Austria.
I would imagine international visitors would do the same here at least in the northeast where a visit to NY or DC as a base would easily be a way to visit a good bit of US places in your trip to DC.
I can easily see someone taking a DC or NY trip and on that trip they pay a visit to Philly. I would.

Philly is crammed between NY and DC. Those areas are packed with airports and have a ton of international airports. Heck when I traveled in Europe I would fly to certain cities of of price or convenience all the time. Fly to one city then hop a train to where I really want to go.

DC and NY are clearly on a different level but I think Philadelphia gets over looked in certain categories because of its position. Counties get poached and squeezed in in all sides. Boston and SF on the other hand gets to reach out and include a whole lot on all directions.

Old 10-27-2020, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Nobody uses cash like that these days, and $1 and $20 bills are way more popular for day-to-day transactions. This year excepted due to pandemic-induced account withdrawals, actual demand for $100 bills is low; I don't even remember the last time I saw one and I get cash from the ATM or cash back during transactions from time to time. People are stockpiling currency these days which is why there's a shortage of it in circulation.

Boston isn't on any currency but it still gets more international visitors than Philly. Where are you getting your information from? In 2019, Philly ranked 17th in the U.S. for international visitors excluding Canada and Mexico. SF was 5th, DC was 8th, Boston was 9th, and Chicago placed 10th. (Source [Excel file] from U.S. Department of Commerce, National Travel and Tourism Office)
You put down Philadelphia any chance you can get.

The fact is. Yes the most valued currency in the world. Has a Pennsylvania statesmen on the front and the Pennsylvania statehouse on the back. That is all I am saying.

I put Boston on the list of recognized cities. Also Philadelphia is larger than Boston.

Also fact. American Airlines has selected Philadelphia as its trans continental hub. With COVID the numbers will not really show. But international travel in Philadelphia is very high.

Old 10-27-2020, 08:25 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,116,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Everyone is making really good points lately. I love it.
I wouldn't lay all my cards on the international visitors at least for anywhere in the Boston Washington corridor.
I would imagine that Europeans and Asians would be the biggest chunks of international visitors. These visitors when they travel they do it in patterns. For example. I would fly from the US to some relative in Geneva and from there I can visit many cities in France, Germany, Italy and Austria.
I would imagine international visitors would do the same here at least in the northeast where a visit to NY or DC as a base would easily be a way to visit a good bit of US places in your trip to DC.
I can easily see someone taking a DC or NY trip and on that trip they pay a visit to Philly. I would.

Philly is crammed between NY and DC. Those areas are packed with airports and have a ton of international airports. Heck when I traveled in Europe I would fly to certain cities of of price or convenience all the time. Fly to one city then hop a train to where I really want to go.

DC and NY are clearly on a different level but I think Philadelphia gets over looked in certain categories because of its position. Counties get poached and squeezed in in all sides. Boston and SF on the other hand gets to reach out and include a whole lot on all directions.
Philadelphia is getting better at international recognition, but it doesn't help often times gets left out on east-coast destinations from international website
https://freedomdestinations.co.uk/bl...east-coast-usa

Id say it's mainly associated with Cream Cheese ,Fresh Prince, or the Movie "Philadelphia" more than the United States itself.

Old 10-27-2020, 08:27 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,082,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Philadelphia is getting better at international recognition, but it doesn't help often times gets left out on east-coast destinations from international website

Id say it's mainly associated with Cream Cheese ,Fresh Prince, or the Movie "Philadelphia" more than the United States itself.
Cheesesteaks too.

Old 10-27-2020, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post

Do you people actually go to Europe or talk to people overseas?

It sounds like no.

Philadelphia is known to be the foundation to modern day Democracy as we know it. And Europeans overall know the city quite well. Its travel scene has elevated quite a bit in the last decade and as I said before most traveling to the USA for 7 days do a NYC, PHL, DC circuit. And some will fly to Florida to end the trip.

Old 10-27-2020, 08:50 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,116,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
Cheesesteaks too.
Don't think Cheesesteaks have that much recognition outside of the country or even strictly associated with the US, although I could be wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City