Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is most associated with the United States?
New York City 127 78.88%
Los Angeles 48 29.81%
Chicago 23 14.29%
DC 37 22.98%
Philadelphia 7 4.35%
Houston 4 2.48%
Dallas 6 3.73%
Atlanta 3 1.86%
Miami 6 3.73%
San Francisco 6 3.73%
Boston 4 2.48%
Seattle 6 3.73%
San Diego 5 3.11%
Other (specify) 6 3.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2020, 12:49 PM

1,013 posts, read 910,992 times

Advertisements

Yea I don’t get the hate for DC and I’m in NJ. Everyone thinks differently and that’s ok, it doesn’t matter what anyone here thinks. It’s kinda like the upcoming election, it doesn’t matter, you already know who you’re voting for and nothings going to change your mind so why argue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2020, 02:42 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Chicago is in my top 5. Just don't get the hate for DC.
DC is numb to it by now...DC just keeps on being the capital city that it is.

Old 10-29-2020, 04:34 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Why are people discussing DC being more associated with the US than NYC? Who's made that assertion? NYC is 1st on everyone's list. It's like people replying back to one another stating the obvious in this ongoing thread. The next two most associated would be LA and Washington DC. I don't see the misunderstanding when the thread is asking for 3 cities. NYC/DC/LA are the three foremost associated with the United States and those three have the most votes in the poll. But I agree that Chicago is in the conversation.
There’s been several pages of unfounded claims of people “hating” on DC for not agreeing where it should be ranked. The first post accusing people of hating DC made the assertion that it was clearly number one and the only reason for disagreement was hating.

Old 10-29-2020, 04:44 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,117,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
This is why I only voted for NYC. Familiarity with the other cities will depend on a variety of different factors.

Definitely more historic than Philly. Against Boston it's a bit trickier. Boston's older than British-controlled NYC and it developed faster at the beginning. It has more buildings from the 1630s-40s whereas NY's oldest are generally from the 1660s. However, Dutch-controlled NYC was founded before Boston (though not before Plymouth). In general NYC is closer to Boston in historic-ness than Philly is.
Don't let me say it though, or cpomp will write a lengthy dissertation full of ad-homiems on how i'm wrong!

Old 10-29-2020, 05:14 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,117,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Yes to all. New York City steals most of the thunder from other US cities including DC, and is often confused as the capitol for obvious reasons. We can all make assumptions, but again, the only clear answer from an international perspective is New York City. (not including those who say California in error).

Wrong (again).

Funny side note… I was in Greece and stumbled upon a café that advertised "Philly Steaks".
I also stumbled upon a few places in London and even Portugal (with their own unique take in Portugal).

Obviously a lot of the world doesn't know cheesesteaks, but based on your statement you would be surprised at their reach beyond the US.

And Philadelphia is often associated with Rocky and Cheesesteaks (unfortunately).

You make a lot of blanket (and often false) statements without much backup beyond "as far as you know"... have you traveled much around the world?... You were the one who also claimed DC is more well-known than New York City...how do you even come up with these conclusions?
This isn't a well known thread, it's a word associated thread. And your anecdotal experience is irrelevant. And I assume a lot to avoid making outlandish comments such this ...

"And Philadelphia is often associated with Rocky and Cheesesteaks (unfortunately)"

Apparently in your social circle, the Liberty Bell, Ben Franklin, Independence Hall or even the Cream Cheese brand isn't associated with the city to the degree Rocky or Cheesesteaks.

*Here's a little game, next time you're abroad, ask what city Will Smith (Fresh Prince) is from and then ask
what city Rocky is from... Hopefully that will prevent you from making bizarre comments in the future.

And BTW, Streets of Philadelphia alone has more views than anything rocky related on Youtube, just thought I'd mention that since the movie ins't popular in your world

Last edited by AshbyQuin; 10-29-2020 at 05:30 PM..

Old 10-29-2020, 09:56 PM

307 posts, read 241,939 times
Nothing against DC, a great town, but there's really no talk of it outside the US. Growing up in Cali in the 80's(pre internet & having access to travel) we knew nothing about DC outside of the president and the White House. I was shocked to find out there was a huge black population and it was nicknamed "chocolate city", and I'm black myself. I traveled around Europe, South America, and Caribbean a few times and the masses all know NYC, LA, Vegas, Miami first and foremost. Then you add in SF, Chicago, DC, etc.. But DC, outside of the presidential stuff, was a mystery and the great unknown out here on the west coast back in the dark ages before tech came into play

Old 10-29-2020, 10:17 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro1000 View Post
Nothing against DC, a great town, but there's really no talk of it outside the US. Growing up in Cali in the 80's(pre internet & having access to travel) we knew nothing about DC outside of the president and the White House. I was shocked to find out there was a huge black population and it was nicknamed "chocolate city", and I'm black myself. I traveled around Europe, South America, and Caribbean a few times and the masses all know NYC, LA, Vegas, Miami first and foremost. Then you add in SF, Chicago, DC, etc.. But DC, outside of the presidential stuff, was a mystery and the great unknown out here on the west coast back in the dark ages before tech came into play
And nothing against LA but outside of Hollywood and palm trees people barely know about anything else. You answered the question yourself, you knew that it existed by virtue of the president and the white house. That's the same for many across the world. The thread isn't asking about what intimate details people know about each city, its about what cities are associated with the USA the most.

From my travels around the Globe NYC, LA, DC (although I hear it called Washington more often abroad) are the 3 main cities associated with the country.

Old 10-30-2020, 12:48 AM

307 posts, read 241,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
And nothing against LA but outside of Hollywood and palm trees people barely know about anything else. You answered the question yourself, you knew that it existed by virtue of the president and the white house. That's the same for many across the world. The thread isn't asking about what intimate details people know about each city, its about what cities are associated with the USA the most.

From my travels around the Globe NYC, LA, DC (although I hear it called Washington more often abroad) are the 3 main cities associated with the country.
I hear you but NYC and LA really get over is because of the movies, music, entertainment, pop culture, and so forth. The Hollywood movie making- movie star brand is massive. The "Hollywood sign" on top of the hill is known. Blockbusters- If if its the real thing they watch in the theaters or if its the bootleg copies they buy in China the home of film is a big deal. Then you have alternate takes on it like Bollywood in India and Nollywood in Nigeria. NYC is the birthplace of rap music. "Straight Outta Compton" flick was big in Europe. Foreigners want to hear American rap artists nine times outta ten over the locals from their own country. They know all about Brooklyn because of Jay-Z. The NY Yankee hat is worn damn near all over Europe. I was in Rio a few years ago and the biggest mall in the Barra suburb has a huge Statue of Liberty replica in front of it. "Its the city that never sleeps", "The Palm Trees" in California. Not even putting LA or NY above other cities here but the entertainment-cultural branding is what puts them over the top imo.

Old 10-30-2020, 06:41 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
This isn't a well known thread, it's a word associated thread.
New York City.

But keep thinking whatever you want.

Old 10-30-2020, 09:10 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post

Exactly.

Growing up on the East Coast we heard or knew very little about local SF or LA issues. You would hear more about LA for sure, but much about SF and the Bay Area I didn't learn until well into adulthood. The name "California" is more popular than both. If I gave a map to a random foreigner overseas, I don't think they could point the precise location of LA or SF tbh. LA (the actual city) truly has only recently IMO peaked into being in the limelight more consistently in the past 15-20 years. But even then it's often "Hollywood" or places around SoCal that aren't actually LA itself discussed. But I'll give it the benefit of the doubt overall that it could be more discussed than Washington DC (maybe) really would depend on your audience. DC has many terms like "Capitol Hill" that are known and discussed worldwide, whether people are realizing they are referring to DC or not.

What used to trip me out was watching Jay Leno growing up and he would always start off his opening monologue with "Well let's talk about what's going on in Washington". I was like damn Jay you're all the way over there in Hollywood, CA skipping across the entire US to talk about what's going on in this city. Not mentioning NYC or nothing, like damn DC really must be important.

Last edited by the resident09; 10-30-2020 at 09:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City