Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is most associated with the United States?
New York City 127 78.88%
Los Angeles 48 29.81%
Chicago 23 14.29%
DC 37 22.98%
Philadelphia 7 4.35%
Houston 4 2.48%
Dallas 6 3.73%
Atlanta 3 1.86%
Miami 6 3.73%
San Francisco 6 3.73%
Boston 4 2.48%
Seattle 6 3.73%
San Diego 5 3.11%
Other (specify) 6 3.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2020, 01:48 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,977,985 times

Advertisements

I know that it's very common in the English speaking media to refer to the national politics of various countries by the capital city name. Is that the same for other languages? The assumption seems to be that it is.

I don't know what order the cities should be listed, except I'm pretty sure that NYC is number 1. This poll shows that to be the popular opinion.

I'm not well traveled internationally, but these days you don't necessarily need to be. I've watched enough YouTube videos to see that what people outside the US know about us is very hit and miss. Especially history. From what I've seen, kids in England aren't even taught about the revolutionary war and know essentially nothing about our history in that era. And if they don't know, no one outside of North America will know or care about our historical cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
And nothing against LA but outside of Hollywood and palm trees people barely know about anything else. You answered the question yourself, you knew that it existed by virtue of the president and the white house. That's the same for many across the world. The thread isn't asking about what intimate details people know about each city, its about what cities are associated with the USA the most.

From my travels around the Globe NYC, LA, DC (although I hear it called Washington more often abroad) are the 3 main cities associated with the country.
I could be wrong, but I think that people all over the US and much of the world know Beverly Hills. Probably even Rodeo Drive. Am I off base? What about Compton? Crenshaw? Malibu? I think that LA has suburbs, streets, and neighborhoods that are more famous than most big cities.

Old 10-30-2020, 02:09 PM

17,150 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
I could be wrong, but I think that people all over the US and much of the world know Beverly Hills. Probably even Rodeo Drive. Am I off base? What about Compton? Crenshaw? Malibu? I think that LA has suburbs, streets, and neighborhoods that are more famous than most big cities.
Beverly Hills, because of the show. That's pretty much it.

Rodeo Drive? Not at all. I've lived in FL for 15 years now. I don't know what Rodeo Drive is myself. I wouldn't expect a non-American to either.)
Compton: if you follow old school gangster rap
Crenshaw: No.
Malibu: Heard the name. Don't know where it is, or what's there.

No, most do not know what these things are.

Old 10-30-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Beverly Hills, because of the show. That's pretty much it.

Rodeo Drive? Not at all. I've lived in FL for 15 years now. I don't know what Rodeo Drive is myself. I wouldn't expect a non-American to either.)
Compton: if you follow old school gangster rap
Crenshaw: No.
Malibu: Heard the name. Don't know where it is, or what's there.

No, most do not know what these things are.
Thanks!

I meant mainly that Americans would know, but assumed that they had some international popularity as well. I guess not.

Old 10-30-2020, 02:20 PM

17,150 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Thanks!

I meant mainly that Americans would know, but assumed that they had some international popularity as well. I guess not.
Of course, this is just MY personal perspective.

Old 10-30-2020, 02:59 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,696 times
Quote:
I'm sure some know these areas either from traveling themselves or through popular culture... but I think these would be same as saying some people know of the CIA, FBI, Smithsonean, Pentagon etc as these are also heavily featured in shows and films which are all associated with DC...

Old 10-30-2020, 09:01 PM

Quote:
I'm sure some know these areas either from traveling themselves or through popular culture... but I think these would be same as saying some people know of the CIA, FBI, Smithsonean, Pentagon etc as these are also heavily featured in shows and films which are all associated with DC...
Maybe it's generational. Back in the 60's there was a show called "The Beverly Hillbillies". The 80's had movies called "Beverly Hills Cop" and "Down and Out in Beverly Hills". The 90's had "Beverly Hills 90210". Now there's Real Housewives. I grew up on the east coast and Beverly Hills was very well known when I was younger. It was always on entertainment shows. I guess that it's lost its cachet because people on city data have kind of heard of it. From a tv show maybe.

Old 10-30-2020, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Maybe it's generational. Back in the 60's there was a show called "The Beverly Hillbillies". The 80's had movies called "Beverly Hills Cop" and "Down and Out in Beverly Hills". The 90's had "Beverly Hills 90210". Now there's Real Housewives. I grew up on the east coast and Beverly Hills was very well known when I was younger. It was always on entertainment shows. I guess that it's lost its cachet because people on city data have kind of heard of it. From a tv show maybe.
The earlier shows were not as popular overseas from what I know, I can't imagine Beverly hillbillies having had much of a following outside of the US and again it's Beverly Hills, and not highlighting LA as a whole which is like the exorcist at the famous Georgetown stairs.. isn't the writer of Beverly Hills 90210 from the DC area and wrote heavily about his high school experiences in Potomac, Montgomery County? Could be a wivestail, not sure.

None the less, the Hollywood sign is as iconic as seeing the White House get blown up in a Hollywood blockbuster every other year imo..... LA and DC are equally associated with the US imo with NYC being the captain.

Old 10-30-2020, 11:01 PM

1,803 posts, read 934,104 times
Quote:
The earlier shows were not as popular overseas from what I know, I can't imagine Beverly hillbillies having had much of a following outside of the US and again it's Beverly Hills, and not highlighting LA as a whole which is like the exorcist at the famous Georgetown stairs.. isn't the writer of Beverly Hills 90210 from the DC area and wrote heavily about his high school experiences in Potomac, Montgomery County? Could be a wivestail, not sure.

None the less, the Hollywood sign is as iconic as seeing the White House get blown up in a Hollywood blockbuster every other year imo..... LA and DC are equally associated with the US imo with NYC being the captain.
Everyone associates Beverly Hills with LA and California of course. Just as we associate the Vatican with Rome. Most of us know the Vatican is a separate entity that is surrounded by Rome. Still it is right there in the middle and so is Beverly Hills a oddity of by Hollywood that is technically in LA by Hollywood is like a suburb completely surrounded by LA. There is two suburbs that together in Chicago are surrounded by Chicago city-proper. It is not in the middle of the city though or by downtown.

Even Wikipedia as still a source and words Beverly Hills this way at the start - Beverly Hills is a city in Los Angeles County, California. Located within 5.71 square miles (14.8 km2) and surrounded by the cities of Los Angeles and West Hollywood.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverly_Hills,_California

Even Malibu would be as if part of LA being there in the mix and not like waaaay out in the Valley.
LA and NYC should still be #1 and #2 to me and I would not argue DC at #3 just for being our Nation's Capital. This argument DC should be more like #1 and over LA at least ..... is overblown in a world that sees NYC as for many the - Capital of the World and LA associated with Hollywood and California that has a power over the world still. They rather forget about DC and the roll it plays in many of the worlds affairs... still they know the term Washington at least. They get confused with the state by that name too though.....

Old 10-30-2020, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
Everyone associates Beverly Hills with LA and California of course. Just as we associate the Vatican with Rome. Most of us know the Vatican is a separate entity that is surrounded by Rome. Still it is right there in the middle and so is Beverly Hills a oddity of by Hollywood that is technically in LA by Hollywood is like a suburb completely surrounded by LA. There is two suburbs that together in Chicago are surrounded by Chicago city-proper. It is not in the middle of the city though or by downtown.

Even Wikipedia as still a source and words Beverly Hills this way at the start - Beverly Hills is a city in Los Angeles County, California. Located within 5.71 square miles (14.8 km2) and surrounded by the cities of Los Angeles and West Hollywood.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverly_Hills,_California

Even Malibu would be as if part of LA being there in the mix and not like waaaay out in the Valley.
LA and NYC should still be #1 and #2 to me and I would not argue DC at #3 just for being our Nation's Capital. This argument DC should be more like #1 and over LA at least ..... is overblown in a world that sees NYC as for many the - Capital of the World and LA associated with Hollywood and California that has a power over the world still. They rather forget about DC and the roll it plays in many of the worlds affairs... still they know the term Washington at least. They get confused with the state by that name too though.....
I didnt say that DC was #1 nor did I say that DC would be more known then LA. Beverly Hills might be famous and/or had been but imo most people will know LA and Beverly Hills as separate entities which is why anything famous from Beverly Hills lacked to add on Los Angeles within the title.

I would add that the most famous man in the world right now is probably Trump and before that was probably Obama...... both are very much tied to DC, Washington, White House etc.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City