Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 07:04 AM

771 posts, read 628,232 times

Advertisements

Hypothetically, let's say all of America's professional sports organizations (NFL, NBA, etc.) were established today. Using information about cities in this day and age (economies, growth, etc,), what cities do you believe would gain or lose teams? For example, a city along the lines of Green Bay would (most-likely) not have a team, since the Packers were founded over 100 hundred years ago when the NFL was concentrated in smaller Midwestern cities. However, a city such as Austin might gain a team in this day and age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2021, 07:15 AM

403 posts, read 296,836 times
Jacksonville, FL

Jacksonville is a relatively smaller metro (1.5 million).

It is the only professional sports team in the city and it has a small fan base.

I am honestly surprised they have not relocated to a larger metro.

I do not believe Austin will ever see an NFL team. Austin is so close to Dallas.

The Cowboys and Houstons rule Texas and I do not see room for a third franchise tbh. But perhaps, Austin is sure on a growing spree. Although I can see it tapering off a bit due to the increased COL.

Old 01-13-2021, 07:22 AM

1,808 posts, read 1,958,387 times
^
Austin is about as far from Dallas as Baltimore is from NYC, so I disagree, and DFW is the 4th largest metro already, so TX can easily support three teams just like FL and CA. Placing the stadium around San Marcos (to also catch San Antonio fans) would help. I even would consider moving the Cowboys to the same division as this team to create a special rivalry. Also note that a lot of my "lose" choices reflect franchises that have been lukewarm to cold over the past few decades.

Gain:

Austin (NFL, NBA)
Charlotte (MLB)
Columbus (MLB, NBA, NFL)
Nashville (MLB)
Orlando (MLB)
Salt Lake City (NHL)
San Antonio (MLB)
San Diego (NFL)
Seattle (NBA, NHL)

Lose:

Baltimore (MLB)
Buffalo (NHL)
Chicago (one MLB team)
Cincinnati (MLB, NFL)
Cleveland (NBA, NFL)
Green Bay (NFL)
Milwaukee (MLB, NBA)
New Orleans (NBA)
Pittsburgh (MLB)
St. Louis (NHL)

Old 01-13-2021, 07:28 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,527,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penna76 View Post
Jacksonville, FL

Jacksonville is a relatively smaller metro (1.5 million).

It is the only professional sports team in the city and it has a small fan base.

I am honestly surprised they have not relocated to a larger metro.

I do not believe Austin will ever see an NFL team. Austin is so close to Dallas.

The Cowboys and Houstons rule Texas and I do not see room for a third franchise tbh. But perhaps, Austin is sure on a growing spree. Although I can see it tapering off a bit due to the increased COL.
If TX gets another NFL team, it would go to San Antonio more than likely. They have the Alamodome already in place and their name is in the mix when pundits are talking about NFL relocations. As you said, even though San Antonio and Austin are only 80 miles apart, they're more affordable than Austin too. Also, even though Austin finally got a major league sports team in the MLS (MLS is the least popular of the major sports leagues: NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, and MLS), Austin just doesn't seem as interested in attracting teams as San Antonio and other metros in America in its size range.

Old 01-13-2021, 07:38 AM

17,815 posts, read 13,713,201 times
[quote=Borntoolate85;60147451]^
Austin is about as far from Dallas as Baltimore is from NYC, so I disagree, and DFW is the 4th largest metro already, so TX can easily support three teams just like FL and CA. Placing the stadium around San Marcos (to also catch San Antonio fans) would help. I even would consider moving the Cowboys to the same division as this team to create a special rivalry. Also note that a lot of my "lose" choices reflect franchises that have been lukewarm to cold over the past few decades.

Gain:

Austin (NFL, NBA)

Austin's issue is political in that the University of Texas doesn't want an NFL or NBA team there and they have the clout to stop it.

Phoenix and Arizona State proved that a community entering the pro market really damages the college market. Although I think Texas sports would do better than ASU sports have done competing with a pro market I don't think UT would want to risk it.

But Austin has great metrics for a pro franchise. No doubt.

Old 01-13-2021, 07:40 AM

2,547 posts, read 2,872,257 times
For the NFL, I'd remove the teams from metros of less than 2 million people

-Buffalo Bills
-Jacksonville Jaguars
-Green Bay Packers
-New Orleans Saints

And add teams in the following cities:

-San Antonio
-Portland
-Sacramento
-Orlando

New AFC

East
New England
NY Jets
Pittsburgh
Baltimore

North
Cleveland
Cincinnati
Indy
KC

South
Tennessee
Houston
Miami
Orlando

West
Denver
Las Vegas
Portland
LA Chargers

New NFC

East
NY Giants
Washington
Philly
Carolina

North
Detroit
Chicago
Dallas
Minnesota

South
Arizona
San Antonio
Atlanta
Tampa Bay

West
Seattle
Sacramento
San Fran
LA Rams

Old 01-13-2021, 07:46 AM

403 posts, read 296,836 times
[quote=eddie gein;60147599]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
^

Gain:

Austin (NFL, NBA)

Austin's issue is political in that the University of Texas doesn't want an NFL or NBA team there and they have the clout to stop it.

Phoenix and Arizona State proved that a community entering the pro market really damages the college market. Although I think Texas sports would do better than ASU sports have done competing with a pro market I don't think UT would want to risk it.

But Austin has great metrics for a pro franchise. No doubt.

Yea, I mean Austin definitely is growing and could support a team. I would vote for a team in Austin over Jacksonville.

I could also see Buffalo, NY loosing its NFL team. Buffalo is also a smaller metro with 1.2 Million.

Old 01-13-2021, 07:46 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,895,905 times
[quote=Penna76;60147688]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post

Yea, I mean Austin definitely is growing and could support a team. I would vote for a team in Austin over Jacksonville.

I could also see Buffalo, NY loosing its NFL team. Buffalo is also a smaller metro with 1.2 Million.
Where does one get to vote?

Old 01-13-2021, 07:50 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,715,625 times
If all of the NFL teams were being established today, I'm not convinced Green Bay would have the Packers.

That said, I do think we can all agree the Top 16 metros are pretty safe as is, except maybe Phoenix and Detroit gaining a MLS team.

Last edited by mjlo; 01-14-2021 at 07:42 AM..

Old 01-13-2021, 07:52 AM

93,451 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Something to consider with some of these teams. For instance, with Buffalo, I would keep the hockey team given that the city is right across the Niagara River from Canada and many come to the games. In terms of Football for the same city, it also has another 1 million plus person metro next to it, along with a substantial amount of Canadians that also come to the Bills games. When you take that into consideration, you go from just looking at the just the 1.16 million in the metro to about 3 million when including adjacent areas, for 8-11 games. To put this into perspective, the Buffalo and Rochester metros combined are essentially the Pittsburgh metro area in population and land size(if not a bit less), let alone the Niagara Region of Ontario included in the mix or people from other nearby parts of NY or NW PA.

With Green Bay, they would just play in Milwaukee like they used to back in the 1970's and 1980's like they used to.

What may hurt some of these growing cities is that they are already in close proximity to other metros with pro sports(i.e.-Orlando with Tampa down the road or even Austin in terms of the NBA with San Antonio) or have such a big college following that it may limit the amount of pro sports in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City