Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 03:35 PM

403 posts, read 295,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
1. Norfolk/VA Beach isn't as prosperous as other parts of Virginia, and way too transient to really have a team due to its strong military presence. Richmond is a smaller metro area (of 1.3 million ppl), so I could see it having an NBA team at the most.

2. Louisville is rabid for UL and UK basketball, no way the NBA would bother coming there. It's also too close to the Indianapolis market.

3. Omaha is a very small market, so I wonder what would work there.

An interesting thing to look at when considering the placement of a new professional sports team, is the size of its media market. The media market ultimately is where the game is broadcast and the fan base would reside. I have no idea where the markets rank in the 3 above cities mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2021, 03:45 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,218,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penna76 View Post
An interesting thing to look at when considering the placement of a new professional sports team, is the size of its media market. The media market ultimately is where the game is broadcast and the fan base would reside. I have no idea where the markets rank in the 3 above cities mentioned.
According to Nielsen:

Norfolk-Virginia Beach is the 42nd-largest Television Market with 684,310 Television Households
Louisville is the 48th-largest Television Market with 636,150 Television Households
Richmond-Petersburg is the 54th largest Television Market with 555,630 Television Households
Omaha is the 71st Largest Television Market with 380,630 Television Households

Norfolk and Louisville are larger than New Orleans' TV market (Market #50 - 615,480 TV Homes - Home of the Saints and Pelicans), Memphis (Market #51 with 580,600 TV Homes - Home of the Grizzlies) and Buffalo's (Market #52 with 576,710 TV Homes - Home of the Bills. Rochester is Market #76 with 361,750 TV Homes). Green Bay-Appleton - home of the Packers is market #67 with 394,210 TV Homes, but the Packers are universally seen as Wisconsin's football team.

Old 01-13-2021, 03:56 PM

3,575 posts, read 3,074,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
According to Nielsen:

Norfolk-Virginia Beach is the 42nd-largest Television Market with 684,310 Television Households
Louisville is the 48th-largest Television Market with 636,150 Television Households
Richmond-Petersburg is the 54th largest Television Market with 555,630 Television Households
Omaha is the 71st Largest Television Market with 380,630 Television Households

Norfolk and Louisville are larger than New Orleans' TV market (Market #50 - 615,480 TV Homes - Home of the Saints and Pelicans), Memphis (Market #51 with 580,600 TV Homes - Home of the Grizzlies) and Buffalo's (Market #52 with 576,710 TV Homes - Home of the Bills. Rochester is Market #76 with 361,750 TV Homes). Green Bay-Appleton - home of the Packers is market #67 with 394,210 TV Homes, but the Packers are universally seen as Wisconsin's football team.
The Buffalo TV market numbers also do not include nearby Ontario residents. Toronto market includes 8.1 million customers. The Buffalo TV stations are all either available on-air or as part of basic cable TV in Toronto, Hamilton, and the Niagara Region of Canada. Last numbers I saw was that 15% of Bills and Sabres season ticket holders were Canadian.

Old 01-13-2021, 03:58 PM

10,061 posts, read 14,430,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I'm not sure what that has to do anything.

First of all, for the foreseeable future, Detroit will remain a top 16 metro area (only Minneapolis and Seattle are in striking distance of passing it up). It's going to take at least a couple more decades for any of the smaller "booming" sunbelt cities such as Nashville to catch up to it in population and economic size.

Second, many folks in this thread are assuming that none of these professional sports organization will expand their number of franchises at all in the coming years. It's possible for Nashville and any other generic booming sunbelt city you can name to get a team without taking away from Detroit's.

I get Detroit is the proverbial black sheep on this forum because of the city proper's vast abandonment, high crime rate and high poverty rate. And I'm the last person to defend the city. But at a certain point, the rampant downplaying of its still impressive scale on a metro level by folks on C-D can only be explained as willful ignorance.
You have to remember too, that pro sports leagues are businesses. If wins dwindle, fans start to dwindle a bit, and new buyers come knocking, teams move. I hate that it happens, but it is a reality in today's world. Just ask St Louis, Oakland and San Diego ugh.

But, this is all just hypothetical.

Going back to the original topic of this forum, I don't think Detroit would get all 4 sports teams at all. In its current city situation with losing population and abandoned neighborhoods (hey, but I get there's tons of amazing things happening in the city too), it would not be awarded 4 teams, I don't think.

Detroit would most likely get 2 or 3 total.

Today, investors and developers tend to gravitate to high growth areas, and that is unfortunately not Detroit or its metro.

BTW, on a sidenote, I love the Detroit region, and have been several times. But I don't think it is on the path to keep up with booming areas in the south and west, over the next 10 to 20 years, at all.

Old 01-13-2021, 03:58 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,654,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
My math is a little hazy and deficient (I blame that on Cornell), but isn't 14,105 > 2,781 - 9,043?

Florida Panthers average attendance 2019-2020 ( 14,105 and up from 12,919 season before)

https://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attenda...L1927&sid=2020

American Hockey League attendance 2019-2020 ( 2,781 - 9,043; league average 5,537):

https://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attenda...L1941&sid=2020

Luckily, the Marlins rid themselves of Jeffrey Loria (who, prior, owned the Montreal Expos before leaving that city without a franchise after relocating the team to Washington DC) and have new ownership led by Derek Jeter and are going nowhere.
I guess sarcasm isn't a language you speak lol but nice smugness! (also flexing your uni? overcompensating or?) plus let's be honest, get rid of the games against Canadian teams and Boston/NYR, Panthers attendance is around 8-9K a game (or less). Also, I know who Jeffrey Loria is, no need for the extra comments.

Old 01-13-2021, 04:00 PM

561 posts, read 514,117 times
TV market numbers are extremely misleading. Omaha’s metro population is right at 1 million. Green Bay Wisconsin is under 400,000. Yet their “media TV market” is ranked 67th while Omaha is 71st, lol. It’s silliness.

In any case-

I’ve long contended Omaha as just large enough to support an NHL franchise, possibly major league soccer..possibly the NBA (which has played Omaha from 1972-1978, the Kansas City-Omaha Kings. I went to games in Omaha during this time as a kid and there were always excellent crowds). Omaha’s actual sphere of influence would extend to Lincoln Ne- a 400,000 population metro 50 minutes away to the west, and Des Moines IA- a 700,000 population metro 2 hours away to the east.

Old 01-13-2021, 04:05 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,866,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
For the NFL, I'd remove the teams from metros of less than 2 million people

-Buffalo Bills
-Jacksonville Jaguars
-Green Bay Packers
-New Orleans Saints

And add teams in the following cities:

-San Antonio
-Portland
-Sacramento
-Orlando

New AFC

East
New England
NY Jets
Pittsburgh
Baltimore

North
Cleveland
Cincinnati
Indy
KC

South
Tennessee
Houston
Miami
Orlando

West
Denver
Las Vegas
Portland
LA Chargers

New NFC

East
NY Giants
Washington
Philly
Carolina

North
Detroit
Chicago
Dallas
Minnesota

South
Arizona
San Antonio
Atlanta
Tampa Bay

West
Seattle
Sacramento
San Fran
LA Rams
How could Dallas be in the NFC North If they were to reset, I would hope they would make the geography make sense.

Old 01-13-2021, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penna76 View Post
Jacksonville, FL

Jacksonville is a relatively smaller metro (1.5 million).

It is the only professional sports team in the city and it has a small fan base.

I am honestly surprised they have not relocated to a larger metro.

I do not believe Austin will ever see an NFL team. Austin is so close to Dallas.

The Cowboys and Houstons rule Texas and I do not see room for a third franchise tbh. But perhaps, Austin is sure on a growing spree. Although I can see it tapering off a bit due to the increased COL.
Jacksonville got a team “relatively” recently. They were awarded the Jags in 1995 along with Carolina (Charlotte) who got the Panthers. They beat out St. Louis, Baltimore, and Nashville for the expansion teams.
St. Louis was a sure fire lock to get a team with Carolina, and Jacksonville would have been left in the dust, but there was some uncertainty about securing funding for a new stadium and the NFL got cold feet. St. Louis and Carolina were the NFL’s top choices. Of course it didn’t matter because the Rams moved to St. Louis the following year when they worked everything out.

Baltimore poured its heart and soul into trying to get a team. Then Commissioner Paul Tagliabugue (I’m botching the spelling) just never liked Baltimore and was friends with Jack Kent Cook the Redskins owner, so he didn’t want to take away fans from DC either. So Baltimore was doomed from the start, but they still put in a bid. Of course 2 years later, the Browns moved to Baltimore and the Ravens have been a great team and fan base. Paul Tagliabugue fought tooth and nail to prevent the Browns from moving, but the owner Art Model was savvy and made it happen.

Old 01-13-2021, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
^
Austin is about as far from Dallas as Baltimore is from NYC, so I disagree, and DFW is the 4th largest metro already, so TX can easily support three teams just like FL and CA. Placing the stadium around San Marcos (to also catch San Antonio fans) would help. I even would consider moving the Cowboys to the same division as this team to create a special rivalry. Also note that a lot of my "lose" choices reflect franchises that have been lukewarm to cold over the past few decades.

Gain:

Austin (NFL, NBA)
Charlotte (MLB)
Columbus (MLB, NBA, NFL)
Nashville (MLB)
Orlando (MLB)
Salt Lake City (NHL)
San Antonio (MLB)
San Diego (NFL)
Seattle (NBA, NHL)

Lose:

Baltimore (MLB)
Buffalo (NHL)
Chicago (one MLB team)
Cincinnati (MLB, NFL)
Cleveland (NBA, NFL)
Green Bay (NFL)
Milwaukee (MLB, NBA)
New Orleans (NBA)
Pittsburgh (MLB)
St. Louis (NHL)
MLB has been talking about wanting to put a team in Charlotte since the mid 90’s. The problem is, MLB rarely if ever changes. The Rockies and Marlins in 93 (or 95), then the Expos relocating to DC to become the Nationals in 2012. That’s it. I’m shocked Charlotte doesn’t have a MLB team by now though because there was momentum from MLB to make it happen over 25 years ago.

Old 01-13-2021, 04:23 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,558,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
MLB has been talking about wanting to put a team in Charlotte since the mid 90’s. The problem is, MLB rarely if ever changes. The Rockies and Marlins in 93 (or 95), then the Expos relocating to DC to become the Nationals in 2012. That’s it. I’m shocked Charlotte doesn’t have a MLB team by now though because there was momentum from MLB to make it happen over 25 years ago.
Expos became the Nationals in 2005 btw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City