Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 04:23 PM

7,425 posts, read 6,598,789 times

Advertisements

Your comment/point seemed serious....Can’t take sarcasm ?

Anyways, more relocating transplants from NY/NJ/CT, possibly Canada (exist, but unfamiliar with their recent relocation numbers), should help Panthers overall hockey fan attendance (that and team performance). NYR/NYI/NJD, Boston and Montreal account for only +/-8 or 9 out of 40 home games each year if we’re being honest—not half, which is what it would take to average 14K based on your (incorrect) numbers below; 2018-19 was one of their worst attendance years and I only found 4 games with attendance below 10K (oddly, NYI and NJD, and Anaheim and Dallas—see actual attendance figures in link below)...I’d definitely go to more games if I lived in Broward or Palm Beach !!

https://www.hockey-reference.com/tea...019_games.html

Loria sucks...maybe he will run for President for his next move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
I guess sarcasm isn't a language you speak lol but nice smugness! (also flexing your uni? overcompensating or?) plus let's be honest, get rid of the games against Canadian teams and Boston/NYR, Panthers attendance is around 8-9K a game (or less). Also, I know who Jeffrey Loria is, no need for the extra comments.

Last edited by elchevere; 01-13-2021 at 05:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2021, 04:24 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,420,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
You have to remember too, that pro sports leagues are businesses. If wins dwindle, fans start to dwindle a bit, and new buyers come knocking, teams move. I hate that it happens, but it is a reality in today's world. Just ask St Louis, Oakland and San Diego ugh.

But, this is all just hypothetical.

Going back to the original topic of this forum, I don't think Detroit would get all 4 sports teams at all. In its current city situation with losing population and abandoned neighborhoods (hey, but I get there's tons of amazing things happening in the city too), it would not be awarded 4 teams, I don't think.

Detroit would most likely get 2 or 3 total.

Today, investors and developers tend to gravitate to high growth areas, and that is unfortunately not Detroit or its metro.

BTW, on a sidenote, I love the Detroit region, and have been several times. But I don't think it is on the path to keep up with booming areas in the south and west, over the next 10 to 20 years, at all.
But Detroit is still a well known large city that is nationally recognized. An MSA of 4 million+, which is bigger than cities like Vegas, Nashville, Austin etc. Regardless of how the inner city is, the TV market (which is truly what makes money) is still large enough to support all the big 4 teams. And it being the lone alpha city in the state of Michigan also gives it a statewide reach when it comes to sports. The Lions have reach all the way up into the UP).

I believe a new league would put teams where the population centers are, and yes, Detroit, while it has its problems, is still one of them. It's not only about cities respectively, but the suburbs too.

Old 01-13-2021, 04:53 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,906,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Expos became the Nationals in 2005 btw.
I got the date wrong. Now that I'm thinking about it, 2005 definitely sounds much more like it. Time flies!

Old 01-13-2021, 04:58 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,224,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Joe Young View Post
TV market numbers are extremely misleading. Omaha’s metro population is right at 1 million. Green Bay Wisconsin is under 400,000. Yet their “media TV market” is ranked 67th while Omaha is 71st, lol. It’s silliness.
Green Bay's television market includes Appleton's, which is part of the Fox Cities Conurbation with a little over 400,000 people. Green Bay and Appleton are separate metro areas but are a part of the same television market. And again, the Packers are identified with Green Bay, but are Wisconsin's team, more or less.

TV markets don't always correlate with metro areas. Miami-Fort Lauderdale-West Palm Beach is one metro area, but West Palm has its own Television market separate from Miami-Fort Lauderdale's. Nielsen’s national definition of a TV household states that homes must have at least one operable TV/monitor with the ability to deliver video via traditional means of antennae, cable set-top-box or satellite receiver and/or with a broadband connection, so no, that isn't going to coincide with the number of people in a metropolitan area.

As for Nebraska, the entire state has a hair under 2 Million people, so I don't see a major league sports team coming there anytime soon. I'm sure Nebraskans care far more about the Huskers than they do any pro sports team.

Old 01-13-2021, 05:04 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,734,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
But Detroit is still a well known large city that is nationally recognized. An MSA of 4 million+, which is bigger than cities like Vegas, Nashville, Austin etc. Regardless of how the inner city is, the TV market (which is truly what makes money) is still large enough to support all the big 4 teams. And it being the lone alpha city in the state of Michigan also gives it a statewide reach when it comes to sports. The Lions have reach all the way up into the UP).

I believe a new league would put teams where the population centers are, and yes, Detroit, while it has its problems, is still one of them. It's not only about cities respectively, but the suburbs too.
Detroit isn't an Alpha city, but otherwise, you're spot on. Detroit also has the benefit of being able to pull an additional 1/2 million people from SW Ontario as well to support its teams. And even if the sunbelt cities are growing at a faster rate, they're not going to catch up to Detroit any time soon.

As I said, I just didn't get the logic that a CSA with 2.1 million people being able to support 4 teams yet a metro with 5.3 million could only support 3. In fact, I also think Detroit could support a MLS team too, as proven by the organization's success in Minneapolis.

Old 01-13-2021, 06:30 PM

93,812 posts, read 124,552,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Detroit isn't an Alpha city, but otherwise, you're spot on. Detroit also has the benefit of being able to pull an additional 1/2 million people from SW Ontario as well to support its teams. And even if the sunbelt cities are growing at a faster rate, they're not going to catch up to Detroit any time soon.

As I said, I just didn't get the logic that a CSA with 2.1 million people being able to support 4 teams yet a metro with 5.3 million could only support 3. In fact, I also think Detroit could support a MLS team too, as proven by the organization's success in Minneapolis.
You probably get people from the Toledo area/NW Ohio too. So, you’re probably talking about 6.5 million people when adding adjacent areas.

Old 01-13-2021, 06:32 PM

263 posts, read 164,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post

As you mentioned, Detroit anchors an MSA of over 4 million, but also a TV market (something that is even more critical than MSA size for sports teams) that is twice as big also. I don't think that poster realizes how much money the contracts RSNs pump into sports teams (everything besides the NFL and college sports).

Old 01-13-2021, 06:34 PM

263 posts, read 164,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You probably get people from the Toledo area/NW Ohio too. So, you’re probably talking about 6.5 million people when adding adjacent areas.
Plus Flint and Lansing, so it's probably closer to 7.5 million.

As you mentioned upthread, I don't think enough people are giving credit to adjacent metros. Those definitely help add to the size of either TV markets, or they would be additional markets that those games would be shown on, which adds to the size of the fan base.

Old 01-13-2021, 06:56 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,129,027 times
As much as like the little guys like Buffalo (and also Green Bay), there are about 10 metro areas in the US that have more population than Buffalo, and most are usually more prosperous. Even with the Canadian "gravy" from across the border, it's hard to believe that Buffalo would make the cut if the NFL were built from scratch today.

Buffalo used to be a much more significant city on a national scale in the US.

Old 01-13-2021, 07:29 PM

564 posts, read 518,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
As for Nebraska, the entire state has a hair under 2 Million people, so I don't see a major league sports team coming there anytime soon. I'm sure Nebraskans care far more about the Huskers than they do any pro sports team.
Likely not. But not because the Omaha metro and surrounding area doesn’t have the population base to support pro sports..nor because Omahans and Nebraskans care too much about Husker football. That ship sailed with NU’s past 20 years of irrelevance and futility in college football..

The real reason would be lack of corporate support and sponsorship. Omaha, much like Indianapolis several decades ago, has morphed into an “Event Town”.. Corporate sponsorship of these events are plentiful. But when it comes to a top tier professional sports franchise..not so much. Omaha ticks all the boxes in currently having most AAA level minor league pro sports. But it would be nice to have that support to try and bring one major in (NHL, Major League Soccer or NBA). But with the lack of enthusiastic corporate leaders, it’s a pipe dream at best. Oklahoma City should thank their lucky stars for this as that’s the ONLY way and reason the Thunder currently play there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City