Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2021, 12:31 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,944,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
While there is a lot of focus on smaller cities, The New York Islanders would not exist. They were created to box the WHA out of the NYC market, rather than the best actual place for a Hockey team.
I remember when that happened and the WHA put a team in New York anyway but they did not last long before they moved. It seemed like WHA teams moved all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2021, 12:07 AM

3,454 posts, read 3,376,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro1000 View Post
The Orioles aren't going anywhere. That's a classic traditional team with an amazing stadium. If any team were even close to being moved it would be the Tampa Bay Rays.
I'd say either the Rays, or A's would be the most likely MLB teams to consider moving. As for the A's, I'm surprised they haven't moved out of Oakland yet. They have such an outdated 60s cookie cutter stadium, where I'm surprised it's even still open at this point. I'm not surprised the Raiders moved out of that stadium, onto Vegas. And agree, that I can't see the Orioles moving anytime soon.

Old 02-15-2021, 12:17 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,407,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
As for Green Bay, it is technically Milwaukee's team since Milwaukee doesn't have one. If it did, then Green Bay should be removed.
I agree. If the NFL were established today, the team would be in Milwaukee, not Green Bay. Times were a lot different in the early 1900's compared to today, speaking economically and population distribution.

Old 02-15-2021, 03:38 AM

14,180 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
As for Green Bay, it is technically Milwaukee's team since Milwaukee doesn't have one. If it did, then Green Bay should be removed.
The Packers have, and I believe still do, play occasional home games in Milwaukee.

But it is in no way "Milwaukee's team" except for its proximity. It's Green Bay's, literally — I explained why just a few posts above this one.

Old 02-15-2021, 04:01 AM

120 posts, read 107,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
I agree. If the NFL were established today, the team would be in Milwaukee, not Green Bay. Times were a lot different in the early 1900's compared to today, speaking economically and population distribution.
It's possible that if the league were established today, it might let franchises in Chicago and Minneapolis split the Wisconsin fanbase. Milwaukee would likely be considered as well, but a second Chicago team might also be an option (the city did in fact support two before the Cardinals left).

Old 02-15-2021, 07:15 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,065,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckms View Post
I haven't been to Green Bay, but it's I feel that legacy things like them having a location is interesting to the league.

It's still economically viable right?
Green Bay's market is the entire state of Wisconsin. The team staying in Green Bay is more or less ceremonial at this point. Obviously the market isn't enough to keep it sustained on its own. People keep bringing it up like Green Bay is actually the primary market for the team when it's not. Milwaukee is a 90 minute drive south and the fans have no problem commuting to the city for game day. Yes its economically viable.

Old 02-15-2021, 01:02 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
I'd say either the Rays, or A's would be the most likely MLB teams to consider moving. As for the A's, I'm surprised they haven't moved out of Oakland yet. They have such an outdated 60s cookie cutter stadium, where I'm surprised it's even still open at this point. I'm not surprised the Raiders moved out of that stadium, onto Vegas. And agree, that I can't see the Orioles moving anytime soon.
Well Oakland have already lost the Warriors to San Francisco and the Raiders to Vegas. I think they were always going to keep at least one and I guess the A's are that team.

Old 02-15-2021, 01:09 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,407,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well Oakland have already lost the Warriors to San Francisco and the Raiders to Vegas. I think they were always going to keep at least one and I guess the A's are that team.
But they are realistically a small market team playing in a dump of a stadium, and are having a hard time being able to build a new one in the area. The A's are easily the most likely team for relocation.

Old 02-15-2021, 03:20 PM

144 posts, read 271,147 times
Market Gainers:
Chicago would have two NFL teams, like it used to. Possibly two MLS teams as well.
Houston would have an NHL team (all five big five).
San Diego would have 1-2 more teams (NFL, NBA or MLS).
San Antonio/Austin would have 1-2 more teams (NFL and maybe even MLB).
Orlando might have 1 more team (Possibly MLB).
Sacramento gets another team (MLS).

Market Losers:
NY market would have 2 hockey teams instead of 3.
MSP loses a team (T-Wolves?).
Denver loses a team (Either the Nuggets or the Rapids - side note - I know the Nuggets are popular right now, but historically, they've been kind of an attendance and ratings dud).
New Orleans would lose its NBA team (again).
Nashville loses a team (honestly, maybe the Titans).
Pittsburgh loses a team (probably the Pirates if I had to pick one).

Old 02-15-2021, 04:04 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,091,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Green Bay's market is the entire state of Wisconsin. The team staying in Green Bay is more or less ceremonial at this point. Obviously the market isn't enough to keep it sustained on its own. People keep bringing it up like Green Bay is actually the primary market for the team when it's not. Milwaukee is a 90 minute drive south and the fans have no problem commuting to the city for game day. Yes its economically viable.
This is very true. Even in the far western chunk of Wisconsin that's part of the Twin Cities metro, you will immediately see an overwhelming amount of Packers paraphernalia as soon as you cross the St. Croix River. Sconnies have an intense, almost cult-like passion for their NFL team that doesn't really have an equivalent in Minnesota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City