Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2021, 04:24 PM

542 posts, read 1,106,236 times

Advertisements

Our own little universe of, well, I don't know. No matter how silly it may seem to some, I like to think I've gained some knowledge here. Anytime I'm going to travel, it's nice to check it out here first. That being said, I'm not on Twitter, or Facebook, or any of that. So I don't know how they compare. Social to atlantagreg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2021, 05:51 PM

3,439 posts, read 3,366,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinmoz View Post
Our own little universe of, well, I don't know. No matter how silly it may seem to some, I like to think I've gained some knowledge here. Anytime I'm going to travel, it's nice to check it out here first. That being said, I'm not on Twitter, or Facebook, or any of that. So I don't know how they compare. Social to atlantagreg.
I have a facebook account, but only to (mostly infrequently, not as active as others are on FB) keep tabs on some of my past friends. That said, I always enjoy this site a LOT more, than Facebook in my opinion. Where people really can sometimes do stupid things, to the point I have infrequently had to block people.

FINALLY read through this article today, and this part of that article on Vice cracked me up when I read it: "Because there's no getting around it, "City vs. City" is a silly, pointless way to pass one's time, the type of protracted bar room debate you wish you had never begun because you're locked in a two-way battle of frustration at the other person's stubbornness. It's an urbanist version of sports talk radio, there 24/7 to air your silliest debates under the mistaken belief you or anyone else has nothing better to do."

Though I did see this in the next paragraph: "And yet, City vs. City is a minor miracle, a beautiful place in which people can still do all those things, where the stakes are non-existent and the moderators remain vigilant."

Thanks for the recognition Vice, on how civil this board is!

Old 05-31-2021, 09:32 AM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
I have a facebook account, but only to (mostly infrequently, not as active as others are on FB) keep tabs on some of my past friends. That said, I always enjoy this site a LOT more, than Facebook in my opinion. Where people really can sometimes do stupid things, to the point I have infrequently had to block people.

FINALLY read through this article today, and this part of that article on Vice cracked me up when I read it: "Because there's no getting around it, "City vs. City" is a silly, pointless way to pass one's time, the type of protracted bar room debate you wish you had never begun because you're locked in a two-way battle of frustration at the other person's stubbornness. It's an urbanist version of sports talk radio, there 24/7 to air your silliest debates under the mistaken belief you or anyone else has nothing better to do."

Though I did see this in the next paragraph: "And yet, City vs. City is a minor miracle, a beautiful place in which people can still do all those things, where the stakes are non-existent and the moderators remain vigilant."

Thanks for the recognition Vice, on how civil this board is!
City vs city is a bloodbath.

Old 06-01-2021, 08:24 AM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
This section of the forum really is valuable! Many people at some point in their life contemplate moving, and the feedback here helps expand or refine their list of places to consider and helps people avoid ending up somewhere that doesn't fit them! There's a multitude of great places all over the nation, but people are wildly different and what's great for one person is a bad fit for another. That's a lot of time and money this site has been able to save people!!

Case in point, I moved to suburb Atlanta without ever having visited the Southeast, let alone Atlanta. Thanks to this forum, I was able to have a pretty good grasp of what I was getting into and I don't have regrets on wishing I was in another section of the city or wishing I was in another city period.

Visiting is great, but a trip boots on the ground really doesn't give you a complete picture of what an area is like. This forum adds color answering questions such as:

What is a city like in winter instead of summer?
What was it like 10 years ago?
What's the hidden charms visitors don't see?
What's the current pain points in the metro?
What's the difference between this neighborhood and that one?

Also it helps guide people on what they need to check out when they do visit.

People in general don't know a whole lot about areas they haven't spent much time in. I can't tell you how many times talking to people in real life that they are shocked that Denver's not actually in the mountains, or that most of the state is still relatively empty on weekends and not full of tourists if you just venture off I 70 or the 14er hiking trail, or that it's even a dry climate. If they would read citydata, this is stuff they would know!

Last edited by Phil P; 06-01-2021 at 08:34 AM..

Old 06-01-2021, 10:38 AM

676 posts, read 646,949 times
I don't even live in the US (most family lives in California) and I find CD's City vs City some of the best reads of the internet. I'm done being pretentious to myself and reading long form journalism or insightful blogs, give me city-debating ****posting anyday on my leisure time!

Old 06-02-2021, 04:38 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
I joined back in mid-2006. I have grown beside City-Data. I started as a teenager who used my digital camera to take "photo tours" of various communities in and around my native Northeastern Pennsylvania (USA). I shared them on this forum specifically because Google Street View did not exist at the time, and sometimes Google Image searches at the time proved fruitless for giving people a good enough "feel" of some of the local communities.

I am now in my 30's and look back at some of my earlier posts and can't believe how much I have evolved while posting on here! Thanks for making this forum so awesome!

Old 08-27-2021, 04:05 PM

2,857 posts, read 1,802,529 times
Phil P, gave an excellent Post !

2008, went to the N.C. thread on C-D as we were considering moving there. Someone inquired about Frankllin. The man who replied gave his contact info (he and his wife rented cabins, looked like beautiful small homes). He advised us to fly to Atlanta rather than Asheville, to stay in town rather than rent from him, he, being farther from town. We did meet with his wife, their friends .

There are positives on these Threads. For us, Franklin, a charming town, with interesting towns nearby. We were going to visit Hendersonville, N.C., to be closer to a hospital in Asheville.

Living single now, we moved to the Olympic Peninsula, WA before considering moving to N.C.. Many people from Southern CA, Alaska retire here. Quite a few snowbirds. On the Peninsula, very little rain, in the town known as the Rain shadow, Sequim, snow sometimes though overcast October ? through mid June.

Old 08-28-2021, 11:14 AM

337 posts, read 268,110 times
Amazing!

Old 12-12-2021, 02:18 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,047,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
"There is nothing inherently special about this forum, in that it is the same thing as all other internet forums: a collection of individuals debating relatively obscure issues with a passion disproportionate to its importance."

This quote describes this forum perfectly.
I agree! City v. City is a good read for the most part, though I'm often amazed at the import that some members give it. The same goes with topics in all the other fora. Some people take this place way too seriously!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 12-12-2021, 03:15 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
Come now. We live, work, and play in cities. Our interest starts with quality of life but goes far deeper. Cities' variations are a core driver of resource use, trade, and therefore environment and geopolitics, basically tying to most of the world's major issues. They're juuuust a little important. At most, some of our subtopics are quality of life only, like aesthetics. And you can argue that our passion isn't necessarily tied to the important stuff, but can be more about homerism and ego.

A board about movies, sports cars, the NFL, fashion, or celebrities would be unimportant, basically just entertainment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City