Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is more accepting of black/white couples.
Northeast 18 18.18%
Midwest 4 4.04%
South 40 40.40%
West 37 37.37%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2022, 11:06 PM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
What do you think these couples so uncommon in Houston? I thought Houston would be one of the most accepting places for them. It also can't be segregation since most neighborhoods are pretty well integrated.
Here's my theory. A city like Houston is seen as a pretty popular place for Black people. So when you have cities like Houston, Atlanta, Charlotte, D.C. Black people who migrate prefer a lifestyle that reflects that Black culture. Dating someone in your culture usually falls into line as one of the reasons people choose to move to cities as such. DFW is sort of a mix bag honestly. It's not like Austin or San Antonio but I think their North burb reputation as being this upward haven for White conservatives attract a good amount of interracial couples specifically in those burbs. But in the city or burbs south of I-30 I tend to see a lot more Black couples there.

When I do tend to see a city with a lot of Black/White interracial couples it's usually in cities with a low black percentage or military base for instance. Again in Texas Black/White interracial couples are a lot more noticeable in a city like San Antonio and Austin than it is in Houston or even DFW. The few times I've been to Killeen-Ft.Hood metropolitan area I've probably seen more Black/White relationships there than I have seen in any city in East Texas.

I just think cities with smaller black percentages and especially in liberal cities will tend to have more assimilation with the dominant population. If a BW or BM prefer BM and BW before anyone else first than it's much easier to find that in cities like Houston or Atlanta. A city like Austin might be a little harder to find. Plus Black transplants that move to cities with a low Black percentage might not be as culturally centered when it comes to things like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2022, 11:16 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,458,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Here's my theory. A city like Houston is seen as a pretty popular place for Black people. So when you have cities like Houston, Atlanta, Charlotte, D.C. Black people who migrate prefer a lifestyle that reflects that Black culture. Dating someone in your culture usually falls into line as one of the reasons people choose to move to cities as such. DFW is sort of a mix bag honestly. It's not like Austin or San Antonio but I think their North burb reputation as being this upward haven for White conservatives attract a good amount of interracial couples specifically in those burbs. But in the city or burbs south of I-30 I tend to see a lot more Black couples there.

When I do tend to see a city with a lot of Black/White interracial couples it's usually in cities with a low black percentage or military base for instance. Again in Texas Black/White interracial couples are a lot more noticeable in a city like San Antonio and Austin than it is in Houston or even DFW. The few times I've been to Killeen-Ft.Hood metropolitan area I've probably seen more Black/White relationships there than I have seen in any city in East Texas.

I just think cities with smaller black percentages and especially in liberal cities will tend to have more assimilation with the dominant population. If a BW or BM prefer BM and BW before anyone else first than it's much easier to find that in cities like Houston or Atlanta. A city like Austin might be a little harder to find. Plus Black transplants that move to cities with a low Black percentage might not be as culturally centered when it comes to things like that.
I agree. I know OP disagrees with the results of the poll but it seems in line from what I've experienced. The Interracial dating scene out west seems to be more widely accepted, while in Black dominant cities dating outside to race is still not looked at favorably. Overall, I think Millennials and Gen Z'ers everywhere have a much more positive outlook on interracial dating.

Old 02-14-2022, 07:38 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I believe that Duquesne has been predominantly black for a while now. McKees Rocks I believe got the bulk of its black population later. Clairton has had a black population for decades, as has McKeesport. So, a few of these are a little bit different.

To illustrate some area mill towns/smaller cities where where said couples in the thread are more likely by their HS or other school enrollments. Monessen: https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...D=421560006181

Beaver Falls: https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...D=420363000649

Valley Jr/Sr HS(shared between New Kensington and Arnold): https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...D=421674007544

McKeesport: https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...D=421494006105

New Castle: https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...D=421662002704

Rochester(Elementary): https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...D=422046010017

Washington: https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...D=422499004286

Coraopolis' Cornell HS: https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...D=420681007335

Ringgold Elementary South in Monongahela(but gets kids from Donora): https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...D=422040007407
No, I agree they've been integrated for quite a long time. But I'm saying that the cultural stigma around interracial dating/children has vanished in these communities more recently.

Speaking as a transplant from the East Coast, I was shocked when I first moved here how much more open racism was than where I grew up. Not just white people being afraid of/avoiding black people, but open dropping of the "n word" in conversation, racist jokes, etc. It's very, very common. The comments I got from some friends when I was dating black women were eye-opening! But quite often these exact same racist white people have biracial people in their own families - sometimes even their kids. I remember quite strongly a time I was in a laundromat where a guy was telling a friend of his it was okay to tell his black employee (he was some sort of small-time general contractor) he was "acting like a n****" because his son was half black.

Old 02-14-2022, 07:43 AM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
No, I agree they've been integrated for quite a long time. But I'm saying that the cultural stigma around interracial dating/children has vanished in these communities more recently.

Speaking as a transplant from the East Coast, I was shocked when I first moved here how much more open racism was than where I grew up. Not just white people being afraid of/avoiding black people, but open dropping of the "n word" in conversation, racist jokes, etc. It's very, very common. The comments I got from some friends when I was dating black women were eye-opening! But quite often these exact same racist white people have biracial people in their own families - sometimes even their kids. I remember quite strongly a time I was in a laundromat where a guy was telling a friend of his it was okay to tell his black employee (he was some sort of small-time general contractor) he was "acting like a n****" because his son was half black.
My friend moved from the south to semi-rural Michigan. Said he heard the N word there more in one month than in 10 years in the south.

Old 02-14-2022, 08:13 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
My friend moved from the south to semi-rural Michigan. Said he heard the N word there more in one month than in 10 years in the south.
In Massachusetts, I only ever hear the N word in the 95% white working class white flight towns. I grew up next door to an old lady schoolteacher who was Boston Irish Roxbury white flight. Off the charts white supremacist. Where you have large concentrations of that, it’s a time warp back to 1974.

Old 02-14-2022, 09:15 AM

4,413 posts, read 5,145,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
I agree. I know OP disagrees with the results of the poll but it seems in line from what I've experienced. The Interracial dating scene out west seems to be more widely accepted, while in Black dominant cities dating outside to race is still not looked at favorably. Overall, I think Millennials and Gen Z'ers everywhere have a much more positive outlook on interracial dating.
Texas ain’t the West. It is South. I can’t name one city in the West that it’s common to see white/black couples, even military heavy San Diego.

Old 02-14-2022, 09:30 AM

2,848 posts, read 2,165,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
Texas ain’t the West. It is South. I can’t name one city in the West that it’s common to see white/black couples, even military heavy San Diego.
Why start a poll if you are pretty sure you already have the answer?

Old 02-14-2022, 09:36 AM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
In Massachusetts, I only ever hear the N word in the 95% white working class white flight towns. I grew up next door to an old lady schoolteacher who was Boston Irish Roxbury white flight. Off the charts white supremacist. Where you have large concentrations of that, it’s a time warp back to 1974.
I can imagine. But as has been said, racists are everywhere but not surprised by your scenario.

Old 02-14-2022, 09:59 AM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post

The angle I often see is that youre more likely to see black/white couples where there are very few black people to begin with. I remember being in Medford, OR and it seemed like every black person I saw with someone else was with a white partner. Thats part of the reason I think its somewhat common to see black/white couples out west. It would also explain black/white couples being more visible in a place like Austin, Denver, or Portland. In order for a black person to live in those cities, it would be hard for them to have very strong ties to their own racial identity.

Military cities like San Antonio, Killeen, Fayetteville, and San Diego seem to have an unusually high number of interracial couples but it almost seems like, whether a white, Hispanic, or black male, its very common for the female to be Filipino or Korean.

Your theory about cities that are popular in black culture having fewer interracial couples seems to compute with a lot of what I see. That said, I do run into black/white couples in the suburbs quite a lot. But perhaps that is because the racial identity is secondary to economic identity. For example, it seems like the suburbs of big cities are far more integrated than the big cities themselves in most parts of the country. My theory is that people come together because of economic status and dont care about race or ethnicity.

Also I think a distinction has to be made between African Americans and Africans. For example, among my well to do black friends, their most hated city seems to be Minneapolis. Its because the city's black population is overwhelmingly African and they feel friction between them.

Going to my own experience as being in a mixed race relationship, the only places Ive received side looks are Boston, Chicago, and South Africa. That said it was only a couple of people in a metro area of millions where Boston and Chicago were concerned. I dont leap to the conclusion that, because of 2-3 people, that means those places are bad for mixed race couples. However, South Africa is AWFUL for mixed race couples. It was way more than 2-3 people there. We were (indirectly) refused service at a couple of restaurants there. My wife had someone yell at her. This was coming entirely from Black Africans as opposed to white or coloured Africans. Its also important to note that none of that happened in Johannesburg or Cape Town. Even though those places had almost no mixed race couples that we could see, we didnt detect hostility there. It was in smaller cities in Kwazulu Natal that were the worst.

Old 02-14-2022, 10:44 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Something I mull a lot is which one is more racist: The working-class white person who says racist things, but socializes with and sometimes even dates black people? Or the middle-class white person who would never do anything explicitly racist, but also has no black friends and lives in a less than 5% black neighborhood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City