Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is better don't be bias
Los angeles 27 36.99%
chicago 46 63.01%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2021, 04:22 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
I think LA's surroundings are absolutely brutal. Brown mountains with scrub shrouded in smog. Just an awful landscape. I'd rather be surrounded by flatland than look at those mountains and the smog.
Meh, I thought LA's landscape was beautiful and pretty unmatched outside the Western states. It's a lot of the manmade structure in LA that can use some cleaning imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2021, 04:33 PM

4,427 posts, read 5,154,316 times
Quote:
I think LA's surroundings are absolutely brutal. Brown mountains with scrub shrouded in smog. Just an awful landscape. I'd rather be surrounded by flatland than look at those mountains and the smog.
LA’s mountains really are nice, but from afar.

Old 11-19-2021, 08:12 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,920,304 times
Quote:
But I bet you also recognize the fact that most people disagree..

Chicago, with the lake, and mountains, would be nicer than Chicago, with the lake.

Elevation always wins that vote.

Old 11-19-2021, 10:32 PM

663 posts, read 306,520 times
I can't believe we have of all topics. LA with many times hazed out mountains in the distance. Means it wins the thread. LA can be proud of all it has. Access to mountains can be a plus. LA residents can go into them mountains. Chicagoans can do Wisconsin etc. New Yorkers, the Poconos of PA.

Never heard a New Yorker say if only the Manhattan skyline had mountains toward Jersey city enhancing. It would really rock the world.

So found a video of the backdrop of mountains in LA's backround and against Downtown LA at true scale. Most of the year, they are not snow-capped. That enhances it true.

Honolulu's backdrop mountains are much closer needing no enhancing for photos. It's impressive.

Just many pictures are photo enhanced and zoomed for dramatic looks then what most see daily by far.
I AM NOT TRASHING LA AT ALL. Just SOME keep PUSHING Chicago having this same distant
mountains would be so much more spectacular with the skyline. Even MORE then or with the Lake Michigan. Well, if closer sure.

VIDEO BELOW - Starts with drone rising over Elisian Park.

You see palms and bronze land and green with mountains beyond. It is a CLEAR day more then many. So good day to get a unenhanced look. The scene could be by my hometown valley with mountains. Just being in Appalachia. If in summer not green enough as they are tree-covered mountains and in winter totally grey.

So DRONE over Elisian Park and scenes with the mountains.
The TOP of the mount with the Park heading to the :40 mark.
DOWNTOWN LA just before the :50 mark.
Then drone goes to DOWNTOWN LA Scenes.
The 1:05 mark shows the HIGHER mountain in back on a clear day.
The 3:50 mark shows the DOWNTOWN scene WITHOUT the Mountains
direction. You see nice BLUE Sky and puffy clouds. I LIKE THAT ONE BETTER.
Still each has its grandeur and beauty. Just WITHOUT the MOUNTS LOOKS FINE
with SKY. The enhanced ones zooming the mountains CLOSER...well it is just that.

Los Angeles Aerial Drone Footage 2021
Found a GOOD CLEAR DAY VIDEO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgaHDc6MPCU

The view east without the mountains not enhanced. With
the blue skys and clouds. Works as good. NOW SNOW PEAKED MOUNTAINS IN SEASON COULD ADD.

Last edited by Chi-town; 11-19-2021 at 10:49 PM..

Old 11-20-2021, 08:45 AM

503 posts, read 800,677 times
LA is in a much prettier and impressive location than Chicago. How is that even up for debate? Where Chi shines is architecture.

Old 11-20-2021, 09:30 PM

663 posts, read 306,520 times
Since I did a downtown LA video that was clear and complimentary. May as well do one of my fav DRONE videos over Chicago ones and fav Chi video makers.

Can't believe he got so close and zoomed in on multiple top floors and the 360 skydeck had tourist wave hello to the drone and the next floor Cocktail Bar - The Signature Lounge and next floor with the kitchen and chefs and ALL wave to the drone.

The views of skyscrapers too.

The drone flying toward and zooming on the still we say - John Hancock building or BIG JOHN and people in the tower 1000ft up waving. Just awesome. Maybe not so legal.

Just does not show enough of the lakefront. Just still a GREAT video as his others.

1:40 or do , what a view and some have that view of the skyscrapers. THE LAKE BEHIND OVER A DISTANT MOUNTAIN.

3:20 a broader core view.

4:30 mark and onword to The ZOOMING TOWARD BIG JOHN and people waving 1000ft up. Even the outdoor deck of the Trump tower and Then the from the lake at dusk skyline by the 14:00 mark.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=0tX6ayMLu3w

Old 11-22-2021, 08:01 AM

10,066 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
This is a spot-on analysis. If one is looking for more of a downtown, big city experience, it would go to Chicago. LA offers more variety, better weather, and better outdoors options.
Yeah, exactly. Plus, the city of Los Angeles is about 4 million, compared to Chicago's 2.7 million. And the LA metro area is 14 million--with a consolidated metro area approaching 19 million. Compare this to Chicago's 9.5 million in its metro.

LA is much larger than Chicago, overall. Granted, LA is largely suburban and has a vast sprawling urban network of valleys and cities connecting it. Chicago has a much more dense downtown, and is vastly superior to Los Angeles in this area.

Chicago has some great diversity and is a hugely cosmopolitan city for sure. But, in the US, it definitely ranks 3rd, below LA, on the list.

Old 11-22-2021, 08:54 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,628,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
But I bet you also recognize the fact that most people disagree..

Chicago, with the lake, and mountains, would be nicer than Chicago, with the lake.

Elevation always wins that vote.
Simply a binary comment. I just don't find the physical presence of LA very attractive. Stand by what I posted. However, also agree, that from a distance, and on a clear day (less smog), LA can have a potential pretty backdrop with snow on the mountains.

Old 11-24-2021, 02:38 AM

7 posts, read 3,991 times
People move to Chicago for the city. People move to Los Angeles for the weather/scenery. Two different cities. Nobody's moving to LA for the downtown or the urban density/walkability. Nobody's moving to Chicago for hiking or mountain climbing.

Each cities have their pros and cons. Personally I prefer Chicago (definitely a more urban/city focused person), but some folks could care less about walkability and public transit and care more about beautiful mountains, palm trees, perfect weather, so LA would be preferable to them.

Old 11-24-2021, 10:16 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times
I moved to LA because of all it has to offer. The weather makes it extra nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City