Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2023, 09:50 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,284,253 times

Advertisements

Atlanta's definitely not losing relevance. Though it may have become slightly stagnant. Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham and Nashville are definitely catching up in this regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2023, 10:00 AM

10,059 posts, read 14,425,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Nashville has risen a lot over the last decade but was quiet in the first half of my life (kind of an anti-Portland in that sense).
Yeah, Nashville's rise has really accelerated FAST, from roughly 2015/2016 until now. Especially with downtown development, more white collar and tech jobs, and overall growth of population and infrastructure.

As far as culturally, Nashville is pretty red hot and super relevant there. It is the epicenter of a whole country style, music, food, tv and lifestyle, and impacts on a national scale.

It was slow to boom and develop though--I get what you mean there. Downtown's development was pretty slow overall, until it started to boom and rapidly change around 2015/2016.

Old 05-18-2023, 10:04 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,803,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Atlanta's definitely not losing relevance. Though it may have become slightly stagnant. Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham and Nashville are definitely catching up in this regard.
It may not have lost anything, but cities below it rose above it, and Seattle is nipping at its heels.
In 2000 I would have ranked the top 12 as follows:

1. NYC
2. LA
3. Chicago
4. DC, Philadelphia, SFBA
7. ATL , Boston
9. Detroit
10. Miami
11. Houston, DFW

Today:
1. NYC
2. LA
3. Chicago, DC, SF
6. Boston, Houston
8. DFW, ATL, Philadelphia, Miami Seattle

Atlanta just has not grown in importance as Boston, SF, Houston and DFW. Atlanta isn't moving closer to the top 5, it is moving further away from it which in my way of thinking is a decline.

Old 05-18-2023, 10:10 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
It may not have lost anything, but cities below it rose above it, and Seattle is nipping at its heels.

1. NYC
2. LA
3. Chicago
7. ATL , Boston
9. Detroit
10. Miami
11. Houston, DFW

Today:
1. NYC
2. LA
3. Chicago, DC, SF
6. Boston, Houston

Atlanta just has not grown in importance as Boston, SF, Houston and DFW. Atlanta isn't moving closer to the top 5, it is moving further away from it which in my way of thinking is a decline.
I like this.

Old 05-18-2023, 10:32 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,844,261 times
Atlanta was quite a bit smaller than Boston, Houston, and Dallas in 2000. I think you are underrating the Texas cities. I think Atlanta has mostly maintained in the same 8-10 range (Seattle feels wrong here even given Amazon).

I think Atlanta’s national standing is similar. What’s been hurt is its regional standing. The rise of Charlotte, Nashville, Orlando have all eaten away at its standing as the primary city for the Southeast. The TBS diplomacy which made Brave nation so large is not replicable today.

Old 05-18-2023, 10:48 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,418,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Atlanta was quite a bit smaller than Boston, Houston, and Dallas in 2000. I think you are underrating the Texas cities. I think Atlanta has mostly maintained in the same 8-10 range (Seattle feels wrong here even given Amazon).
Seattle MSA has a higher GDP than Atlanta MSA, despite having 2 million fewer people. Besides Amazon, there's also Microsoft, Nordstrom, Costco, Starbucks, T-Mobile, Boeing Commercial, and a regional office of nearly every major Silicon Valley employer. Seattle also has the largest cruise ship terminal on the West Coast, as well as some of the country's biggest naval bases and container ship ports nearby.

"Feels wrong." Yeah, feelings are more important than facts in America.

Census data

Last edited by Guineas; 05-18-2023 at 11:11 AM..

Old 05-18-2023, 10:48 AM

1,203 posts, read 791,866 times
Quote:

I think Atlanta’s national standing is similar. What’s been hurt is its regional standing. The rise of Charlotte, Nashville, Orlando have all eaten away at its standing as the primary city for the Southeast. The TBS diplomacy which made Brave nation so large is not replicable today.
Nashville / Charlotte or even Orlando are still much smaller than Atlanta, though.

My take is that everything is relative - it's a lot easier to grow from 1.5M to 2M-2.5M (Which is what Charlotte, Nashville, and even Austin did) compare to 4M to 6M and continue to grow (Which is what Atlanta did). For all the talk about Atlanta slowing down, have you seen Midtown of 2010 compare to 2020? The growth of places like North Fulton/NW Gwinnett/Forsyth County? Oh...and upcoming development like The Gulch, the forever gentrifying O4W/Beltline area...

Atlanta pace of growth is slightly behind DFW or Houston, but definitely not the doom and gloom so people are suggesting. Growth in Atlanta still outpace places like DMV and definitely Greater Boston.

Seriously, want a place that fade in relevance? Go to places like Cleveland or Detroit or St. Louis. Just b/c Atlanta growth slowed down doesn't all of a sudden make it "less relevant" - it's still growing fast and at a good pace.

Last edited by ion475; 05-18-2023 at 10:58 AM..

Old 05-18-2023, 10:52 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,803,077 times
Quote:

I am not talking population, I am talking relevance. Atlanta's peak popularity in my lifetime was mid 90s to mid 2000s.

And no Atlanta was NOT way smaller than Houston and Boston in 2000.

2000 population:
Houston 4,177,646
Atlanta 4,112,198
A difference of 65k

2022:
Houston 7,340,118
Atlanta 6,222,106
A difference of 1.12 Million

They were almost dead even in 2000 but Houston has put a ton of daylight between the the two in terms of population.

Miami had almost a million more people in 2000, now Houston is 1.2M more than Miami.

People on here are either slow to pick up on trends or purposefully grasping at the past but it is clear that Houston and DFW are pulling away from their southern peers.

Old 05-18-2023, 11:26 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,973,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post

1. NYC
2. LA
3. Chicago
7. ATL , Boston
9. Detroit
10. Miami
11. Houston, DFW

Today:
1. NYC
2. LA
3. Chicago, DC, SF
6. Boston, Houston

Agreed. Back in the 2000s, Atlanta was fresh off the Olympic hype. You had people saying Atlanta was going to pass Houston in population by 2010 and then pass DFW. The number one export you'd heard about from Atlantans back then was Coke but it isnt seen in the same light today in a more health conscious world. The entertainment industry Atlanta has developed helped keep its relevance higher with all the "made in Georgia" credits after each show filmed there. Without this rise Atlanta would certainly be behind DFW and probably Philly in my opinion.

It was mentioned earlier by another poster how Austin hasn't really cut into Houston or DFW's relevance (it has to an extent). The thing with this is they are all in the same state. Atlanta has Nashville, Charlotte, Raleigh, and even Greenville-Spartanburg rising in prominence and all except the NC cities are in different states. I think this contributes to them stealing more of Atlanta's relevancy because in the 00s they were just too little compared to Atlanta.

So it is not that Atlanta declined, but its peers of Houston/DFW just had quicker jumps and the smaller satellite metros entered the national spotlight.

Old 05-18-2023, 11:29 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,844,261 times
https://www.census.gov/data/tables/t...2010sr-01.html

Here, they are showing 4.7 million for Houston, 4.2 million for Atlanta (Dallas at 5.2 million).

Regardless, it’s likely 1995-1996 will be always be peak Atlanta if only because of the WS and the Olympics. But relative to the field, it still feels like it’s stayed in that 8-10 range it’s been at since it popped in the 80s. Some cities have moved above it, some below it, but it’s continued growing throughout. It has replaced Chicago as Hollywood’s stand-in for the average American city for instance.

Seattle is richer than Atlanta. And if I were ranking best city for jobs, Seattle would be ahead of Atlanta. But as fas as impact on the the country at large, I don’t think Seattle is in the same tier. Closer than it was though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City