Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2023, 03:00 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Its decline has been just that severe...

His list is good; just needs to replace one of the Rochesters with Scranton
I may have mentioned this before on here, but the Rochester metro area population has never declined in an official census. So, I think a lot of the area’s stature was based on Kodak, Xerox and Bausch & Lomb and their decline, in spite of the population reality and shift to smaller companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2023, 03:34 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,856,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYUPTOWN View Post
Its always someone taking it too personal. So many comment on here said my city was losing relevance (it is what it is...Philly). I been there a million times, I follow the place, my folks live out in Paulding before that Douglas. I follow the place second to my own (and maybe NYC)...so I love Atlanta in a million ways, but I can find room for criticism as I do my own.

And I know a few other places have improved; and I can also see a million hoodvlogs that show many parts have not, and even more complaints, some dog whistles for sure, about the current "culture" in the city; it is what it is. Just like large swaths of Philly. Its not personal. I know yall laugh at us for Kensington.LOL!

And again, I DID NOT say whites were not comfortable in the city, I was looking at the numbers and finding an explanation for the slowdown in growth of the white population. I never said whites were uncomfortable in Atlanta; just asking if there were a possible backlash to the huge growth in minorities the last 30 or so years in Atlanta....which whites are prone to do.

And when your city set the bar, in fact became the poster boy for sunbet rapid growth, you live by that and are judged by that....and when it slows it shows, because we are so used to massive growth and big things from Atlanta over the years...I mean come on your city did the Olympics as what, the 7-10th largest city in the Country, that's unprecedented. Again, your city is the only Southern city that built a whole subway system....in the 70s! Built your 8 tallest buildings (all over 600 feet) between 1976-1992.

Yall did all that, and now your trying to sell me on a food hall and some apartment complexes.
Again, only 1 of the 25 largest towers in Dallas were built after 1987. The fact is only Dallas and Houston have grown more than Atlanta’s nearly 2 million people added since 2000. I don’t really know why you think Atlanta hasn’t been transforming throughout over the last decade.

Old 05-21-2023, 04:31 PM

836 posts, read 456,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Again, only 1 of the 25 largest towers in Dallas were built after 1987. The fact is only Dallas and Houston have grown more than Atlanta’s nearly 2 million people added since 2000. I don’t really know why you think Atlanta hasn’t been transforming throughout over the last decade.
Height doesn’t mean everything though. Dallas has greatly increased the density in its urban neighborhoods. The development in Uptown Dallas isn’t that tall but it is very transformative. I can’t find it but there was a shot of uptown Dallas in 2001 vs now and it’s night and day despite the fact that the towers aren’t that tall.

Old 05-21-2023, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
Height doesn’t mean everything though. Dallas has greatly increased the density in its urban neighborhoods. The development in Uptown Dallas isn’t that tall but it is very transformative. I can’t find it but there was a shot of uptown Dallas in 2001 vs now and it’s night and day despite the fact that the towers aren’t that tall.
I agree with that. I was merely using the argument against Atlanta on this line as misplaced given it can be used doubly so against Dallas.

Old 05-21-2023, 06:45 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,749,084 times
Quote:
Its always someone taking it too personal. So many comment on here said my city was losing relevance (it is what it is...Philly). I been there a million times, I follow the place, my folks live out in Paulding before that Douglas. I follow the place second to my own (and maybe NYC)...so I love Atlanta in a million ways, but I can find room for criticism as I do my own.

And I know a few other places have improved; and I can also see a million hoodvlogs that show many parts have not, and even more complaints, some dog whistles for sure, about the current "culture" in the city; it is what it is. Just like large swaths of Philly. Its not personal. I know yall laugh at us for Kensington.LOL!

And again, I DID NOT say whites were not comfortable in the city, I was looking at the numbers and finding an explanation for the slowdown in growth of the white population. I never said whites were uncomfortable in Atlanta; just asking if there were a possible backlash to the huge growth in minorities the last 30 or so years in Atlanta....which whites are prone to do.

And when your city set the bar, in fact became the poster boy for sunbet rapid growth, you live by that and are judged by that....and when it slows it shows, because we are so used to massive growth and big things from Atlanta over the years...I mean come on your city did the Olympics as what, the 7-10th largest city in the Country, that's unprecedented. Again, your city is the only Southern city that built a whole subway system....in the 70s! Built your 8 tallest buildings (all over 600 feet) between 1976-1992.

Yall did all that, and now your trying to sell me on a food hall and some apartment complexes.
Yeah no, me refuting your comment isn’t “taking it personal”, your analysis is just off compared to what’s actually going on in the city. The city is in a development boom, more people live in the city than ever, and there are little to no available units for sale or rent because demand is through the roof. These are all signs of a rise, not a fall in relevancy.

Old 05-21-2023, 07:59 PM

221 posts, read 114,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Yeah no, me refuting your comment isn’t “taking it personal”, your analysis is just off compared to what’s actually going on in the city. The city is in a development boom, more people live in the city than ever, and there are little to no available units for sale or rent because demand is through the roof. These are all signs of a rise, not a fall in relevancy.
My bad then. I wouldn't disagree with your comment though. Lots of infill. And two new(ish) stadiums. And lots of midrise growth in Midtown. Maybe what I am describing is Atlanta moving out of the explosive growth phase and into the mature city phase ala New York or D.C. or Philly; its just growing up the city used to do BIG things, with nationally renowned leadership like Jackson and Young, that would so perfectly navigate black interests with economic interests to the benefit of the city.

For the record though, most cities can say they are experiencing a development boom, some more than others, Atlanta, is in the middle of the pack, its not experiencing Seattle, Austin or D.C. type growth but its not slow either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
I agree with that. I was merely using the argument against Atlanta on this line as misplaced given it can be used doubly so against Dallas.
Why have all the Southern cities stopped building supertalls? It's a shame because they were once the visible sign of a city's ambition (thats why I used it as a metric) But in the last 20 or so years, I think Charlotte and Miami and maybe Austin are the only Southern cities building tall in their downtown.

Last edited by PHILLYUPTOWN; 05-21-2023 at 08:14 PM..

Old 05-21-2023, 09:04 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,405,236 times
Quote:
Why have all the Southern cities stopped building supertalls? It's a shame because they were once the visible sign of a city's ambition (thats why I used it as a metric) But in the last 20 or so years, I think Charlotte and Miami and maybe Austin are the only Southern cities building tall in their downtown.
The skyscrapers in Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta are mostly office buildings. At some point there is only so much office you can put downtown in a sprawling car-oriented city before it's a traffic nightmare for everyone working there. All of those cities started to build out alternative business nodes outside of downtown.

Austin and Miami are still building tall because they have really strong markets for residential skyscrapers. Austin has built a few new office skyscrapers but given what happened with Covid they probably overbuilt.

Old 05-21-2023, 09:11 PM

The 80s were a time of easy money and booming multinationals who wanted to make a name for themselves and elevate their cities. It was a construction bonanza which overbuilt office space in most cities. The course correction came next as companies began to build office parks in the suburbs to be closer to their employees, and was especially acute in the Sun Belt where land was cheaper. Now the infill has begun in earnest the last decade as downtowns have begun filling up again with residents looking for an alternative to suburbia. Land prices still make building skyscrapers more feasible up in high-cost cities.

All that said, Atlanta is still booming.

Old 05-21-2023, 09:52 PM

836 posts, read 456,765 times
Quote:

Houston has added 2 700+ footers in Downtown in the last 5 years and has built a lot recently in downtown. It’s not Austin or Miami but it’s changed more than Downtown Dallas and Downtown Atlanta have.

Old 05-21-2023, 10:36 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,425,374 times
Tall office towers are kind of passé at this point. Not sure have much bragging rights anymore.

Houston Chronicle: Here's why Houston leads the U.S. in empty office spaces
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City