Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bigger Regional Influence
Atlanta 41 30.83%
Boston 43 32.33%
Denver 49 36.84%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2023, 08:05 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,617,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
“To win a city data poll”. There’s no trophy here.

I voted for ATL. OP clearly has no allegiance to Boston, read their posts.

This isn’t some cool poll to win. It means absolutely nothing, nada.
Are you sure? Go back for a few pages and you can see where some people were complaining because Boston wasn't winning the poll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2023, 11:08 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,914,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Are you sure? Go back for a few pages and you can see where some people were complaining because Boston wasn't winning the poll.
I mean, the OP wasn’t complaining.

Posters on here are always going to have opinions. Doesn’t mean the OP skewed the poll in Bostons favor.

FWIW, Boston is last in votes.

Old 07-30-2023, 01:27 PM

638 posts, read 348,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
It definitely has influence over Albuquerque. Spend a couple days in Denver. Boise isn't in the Mountain West.
Boise is definitely part of the mountain west. It just has no connection to Denver.

Old 07-30-2023, 02:10 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,985,611 times
Denver as it's THE only major city in it's region. It's amazing how isolated this city is.

Old 07-30-2023, 02:51 PM

6,558 posts, read 12,044,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
Denver as it's THE only major city in it's region. It's amazing how isolated this city is.
That's why I picked Denver. It's not like SLC would compete for that category, and whether or not Boise is in that region is irrelevant since it will be Denver regardless.

Atlanta has peers within it's region that are about equal if not greater importance, especially if you count Texas and South Florida as the same region.

Boston would be it only if you're talking about the New England region and excluding New York.

Old 07-30-2023, 03:50 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,356,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I was thinking about cities that have major influences over their respective regions. Boston, Denver, and Atlanta came to mind.

Boston/New England
Atlanta/Deep South
Denver/Rockies

I'm sure that there's other examples, but I think these are probably the most prominent. Which of these three do you feel has a stronger influence over their region. You can use the following criteria if you'd like, or your own.

-economic hub
-media influence/news
-sports
-culture
-travel hub/destination
-education
-healthcare
-shopping/entertainment
-culinary influence
-political influence
Atlanta is least because in the southeast, there's a lot of competition in Miami, Tampa, Nashville, and Charlotte. Whereas Boston has no equal in the NE and Denver has no competition in the Mtn time.

Old 07-30-2023, 04:00 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
That's why I picked Denver. It's not like SLC would compete for that category, and whether or not Boise is in that region is irrelevant since it will be Denver regardless.

Atlanta has peers within it's region that are about equal if not greater importance, especially if you count Texas and South Florida as the same region.

Boston would be it only if you're talking about the New England region and excluding New York.
The thread is asking about New England. Not the Northeast.

Boise, Missoula, Flagstaff, Phoenix, Salt Lake City, Albuquerque are just so detached from Denver even compared to Hartford.

Almost everyone in New England lives within east daytrip distance of Boston. That’s just not true of these other regions which have other centers of gravity just due to shear scale.

Old 07-30-2023, 04:01 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,356,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
So I get it. By the book, if we use arbitrary lines (New England vs. "Deep South"), then I understand your argument.

But I look at it as far as population and reach. ATL is the epicenter of a larger population and area than Boston.

Atlanta's MSA and CSA is larger, but then keeping going. ATL is the city with major sports, destinations, events across AL, GA, SC, and has popularity pull up to NC. My wife lived in Birmingham.. ATL owns that market from a major city perspective, as an example.

Boston and it's pull with RI, NH, ME, and VT just isn't the same.

You forget about Miama, Tampa, Charlotte, and Nashville as material competition. Boston and Denver don't have anywhere near that competition.

Old 07-30-2023, 04:16 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
Salt Lake City.

What’s the other major city in New England? Where 54% of the population is in the Boston CSA.

Old 07-30-2023, 04:17 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post

That’s what we’re talking about. As the OP came and made clear. Folks took New England and added New York City to it. Even though 1/15 new englanders lives in the New York CSA and more than 1/2 live in Bostons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City