Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Honolulu or Miami?
Honolulu, HI 175 57.57%
Miami, FL 129 42.43%
Voters: 304. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 05:29 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,662,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Honolulu MSA is 55% Asian and only 17% white. Miami MSA is only 42% Hispanic (of any race) and 33% White Only. Honolulu is clearly more Asian than Miami is Hispanic. But don't let facts like get in the way of bizarre opinion.
Just noticed, this is wrong. You posted stats for Honolulu proper not MSA.

Honolulu MSA demographics:

46% Asian.
21% white.
9% Pacific Islander.
2% Black
7% Latino (any race)

Honolulu County, Hawaii - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Miami MSA:

33% white hispanic.
21% black (many of which are hispanic black from puerto rico, cuba, and the dominican republic)

35% non-hispanic white.
2% asian

Hispanic or latinos of any race was 42%

Miami metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of course, the race of the people don't determine the culture. It's where they come from. Those asians in Hawaii have lived there for generations (for the most part). The Latins in Miami, not so much.

A shame I can't find foreign born statistics. But the language links I posted are a clue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 05:38 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,298,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
That's true, but to Sav's credit he did post MSA vs MSA and Honolulu still emerged on top (but nowhere near as dramatic). I used city proper's since the information was easier to come by and I didn't feel like spending time digging.

But MSA Miami is still 5 times as big as MSA Honolulu. They're not in the same category or even ballpark to be compared like that. Miami offers far more options for employment, including higher paying jobs than Honolulu. In the process it attracts a lot of immigrants. The rest is history. Honolulu has basically no economy outside military and tourism.

One more thing, notice how high Charleston, WV is on the list. This is why comparisons for far much smaller cities doesn't make sense.
I think it would be fair to say that Miami has more poverty but also A LOT more wealth. When I was in Honolulu I didn't see anywhere the kind of upscale condo towers that you see in Miami by the hundreds or the kind of affluence that you see in many corners of South Florida.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
I think it would be fair to say that Miami has more poverty but also A LOT more wealth. When I was in Honolulu I didn't see the kind of upscale condo towers anywhere that you see in Miami by the hundreds or the kind of affluence that you see in many corners of South Florida.
I don't think even Sav would deny that. As Miami is a huge finance/banking hub for Latin American and Honolulu is only a banking hub for.... the rest of the Hawaiian islands! There is just a ridiculous amount of money rolling through Miami. Check out all the exotic cars rolling through South Beach.

But as the last nail in the coffin as far as culture goes:

When cities (MSA) are ranked by foreign born population (raw numbers) it goes like this

NYC(~5.1 million)
LA(~4.4 million)
Hong Kong (~2.5 million)
Paris(~2.4 million)
Toronto(~2.3 million)
London(~2.3 million)
Miami(~2 million)
Chicago(~1.6 million)
Sydney (~1.2 million)
San Francisco (~1.2 million)
Moscow(~1.1 million)
Houston(~1.1 million)
Dubai(~1 million)
Riyadh(~1 million)
DC(~1 million)
Dallas(~1 million)

When by percentage:

Dubai (82%)
Miami (51%)
Queens (48%)
Amsterdam (47%)
Toronto (45%)
Muscat (45%)
Singapore (43%)
Vancouver (39%)
Auckland (39%)
Geneva (39%)
Meccas (38%)

Foreign born - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Honolulu is on neither list and her foreign population probably hovers somewhere between 10 and 20%.

What's more I forgot about Vancouver and Toronto. They are FAR more asian culturally than Honolulu (especially Vancouver).

So Honolulu at best gets third in the special Olympics

Old 08-29-2012, 05:54 PM

Re my point on the radio:

You can flick on the radio and get Spanish/latin stations in MIA.

In Honolulu the best you get is island stations.

In Vancouver you actually get asian language stations.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:10 PM

611 posts, read 1,601,004 times
There are multiple Asian language radio and tv stations in Honolulu.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightscape View Post
There are multiple Asian language radio and tv stations in Honolulu.
I never stumbled upon one when I rented a car. Which station, give me FM and not satellite.

Either way, in (for latin) Miami and (for asian) Vancouver, I couldn't help but run into them browsing. So they are far more common in those cities.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:37 PM

611 posts, read 1,601,004 times
Because you didn't stumble upon one while renting a car means it doesn't exist?

I've lived in Honolulu for many years. Look it up yourself, I don't care to prove a point.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
Honolulu is on neither list and her foreign population probably hovers somewhere between 10 and 20%.
I finally found something:

25% of Honolulu is foreign born (this is for city proper, not MSA-include the MSA and it goes down, probably inside the range I gave).

80% of the Asians in Honolulu only speak English.

Only 20% of native Asians speak some language other than English whereas 92% of non-native Asians do.

http://www.city-data.com/races/races...-Hawaii.html#b

This puts it to rest. You can't argue that they were simply taking the primary language anymore.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightscape View Post
Because you didn't stumble upon one while renting a car means it doesn't exist?

I've lived in Honolulu for many years. Look it up yourself, I don't care to prove a point.
I'm not saying they don't exist, but asking if you for the station. You don't want to give me, fine don't give me.

EDIT: Looked them up, they are AM stations which is probably why I didn't run into them. Again, both Vancouver and MIA have corresponding ethnic stations on the more popular format: FM where you don't have to know they exist to hit them.

Last edited by PosterExtraordinaire; 08-29-2012 at 06:55 PM..

Old 08-29-2012, 07:49 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,947,647 times
Miami, it's nice to be able to leave the state every once and a while
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City