Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2008, 12:47 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,501,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
No you do. I say I love Texas and you try to tell I'm wrong and how NYC is better. You don't do that?? Because if you don't, than it sure does seem like you do.
No, I don't. Don't lie, what am I a jerkoff? I love Texas, I've never said anything about Texas.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:06 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,926,074 times
My list is overall, and is throughout the history of rap, Ill try to explain better:

1. NYC- Pretty Obvious, NYC has historically been the biggest city for hip hop and some of the best, it also started here. There has been countless groups and they set trends. It was really big from the 80s through the early 90s and has fallen off a little but is still huge and has a huge underground scene as it always has.
2. LA- Set the next trends in hip hop with the gangsta rap in the late-80s to early 90s starting with NWA and a lot of other people. It fell off really bad from the late 90s and still isnt doing well now, its trying to come back. Also has a pretty big underground scene.
3. Atlanta- It started getting big in the early 90s with groups like Outkast but mostly stayed below the radar until the early 00s until now and its definitely the biggest city for hip hop at this point. Not much good new music is coming out of it, but its still music nonetheless. Has a huge underground scene, and even untalented club rappers can make it big there.
4. Houston- Has been in hip hop since the early 90s but it mostly stayed below the radar to the rest of the country until around 04. Has had a huge underground scene for a long time now, probably one of the biggest underground cities, but it has fallen off in the mainstream in the last couple years.
5. Chicago- Despite being such a large city and area Chicago has a very small rap scene throughout history than other smaller cities have had. A few mainstream rappers have came out of there but not many and they have been mostly forgotten in the mainstream. Has a pretty decent underground scene though.
6. Oakland/Bay area- The area has been big in the underground for a while now and has put out a few mainstream rappers and they have all gotten pretty well known. Most of it stays under the radar though.
7. Philly- Philly is known for putting out a few very talented mainstream rappers, buts mostly known for its freestyling and battling scene. Its been known throughout rap history. Most of the rappers have stayed below the radar though.
8. Detroit- Detroit is also known for its underground scene and has made a few mainstream successes like D-12, Eminem. It also has a big battling freestyling scene. Its smaller than it should be though for the size of the city and demographics though.
9. Cleveland- Is most known for Bone thugs n Harmony which were huge in the 90s and started a completely new style of rap, a new trend. Also the huge Mo Thugs movement in the 90s and many rappers from Cleveland nearly made it into the mainstream. From 00 to now there hasnt been many mainstream rappers except a few like Ray Cash. Cleveland has a huge underground scene though with many rappers making music videos and cant make it over the small bump into the mainstream. You can expect to see a lot of huge new things from Cleveland very soon.
10. St. Louis- Is most known for rapper Nelly, which is a pop rapper who made success from his slang words and the supposed midwest style. St. Louis is known for making a few 1-hit wonder rappers without much talent from 02-now, with that alone it has made it into the top 10. Other than Nelly there hasnt really been any other mainstream rappers who are more than 1 hit wonders. It has a decent underground scene also, but about average.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:09 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,926,074 times
Wow that was longer than I thought lol. I thought I should also add some honorable mentions though:

Memphis- Made a few somewhat mainstream rappers and groups but started a new rapping style and has always been a huge city in the underground.

Miami- Wasnt big until recently with the Dj Khaled/Rick Ross movement. They have just barely made it into mainstream, and are pop rappers without much talent though, mostly like 1-hit wonders. Still it deserves to be mentioned.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
FC, I agree that NYC has the best Hip Hop background, but face it, LA is more in the scene than NYC in current times. Doesn't mean it won't be back at the top, but it's just not there right now. LA isn't so much either, but still way more than NYC is.
Other than "Game's Pain," I don't see LA anywhere on MTV or on XM radio (national, not just for NYC). I hear Fat Joe, Ja Rule, Jim Jones, Maino (31 club hit right now), MIMS (had a #1 not that long ago), and some Jay-Z, 50 Cent, Jadakiss, etc.

Lil' Wayne rolls with Dipset, Lil' Scrappy with G-Unit, Young Buck with Dipset, Birdman with Dipset, Yung Joc with P Diddy, 8Ball with P Diddy, Rick Ross with Jay-Z, MJG with P Diddy, Boyz n da Hood with P Diddy, Gorilla Zoe with P Diddy, Chingy with Jay-Z, DJ Khaled with Jay-Z, Ludacris with Jay-Z, Mannie Fresh with Jay-Z, Playaz Circle with Jay-Z, Trick Daddy with Jay-Z, Young Jeezy with Jay-Z, Young Gunz with Jay-Z, USDA with Jay-Z, DJ Clue with Jay-Z, etc. The East Coast is the head of hip hop today. Southern rappers are constantly teaming up with NYC rappers and shooting videos of NYC... Examples...

YouTube - DJ Khaled "Out Here Grindin" Official Video

YouTube - Lil' Wayne Hustler Musik/Money on My Mind

Even LA's own, The Game, loves NYC...

YouTube - THE GAME- NEW YORK [OFFICIAL VIDEO]

And who do you think influenced Snoop Dogg, Tupac, Dre, etc.? These guys influenced them - Run DMC, KRS-1, EPMD, etc. It all flowed from NYC and the West heard it, loved it, and started rapping, got their turn, then it came back to us and NYC may not be making 100 hit singles this year, but everybody's rolling with NYC and our artists now.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:44 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,646,071 times
Well, the East Coast and Tha Dirty need each other to have success outside of their regions. The South has its hands in every region, really; the East Coast style sounds nice (nice) with a down South beat and chant to be honest. I rep for the South but I do enjoy the similies, metaphors, punchlines, and more importantly the flow...If an artist have those elements of hip-hop (regardless of region) than they'll be on my playlist. Lil Wayne has some nice songs/lyrics but he I feel that he needs to quit repping NO/South when it's obvious he wants to be a New Yorker (did the idiot leave Miami recently?), I understand that video if he part of collabo with an NY artist, but it's just he and his "loving father".

Old 09-08-2008, 09:57 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,646,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
6. Atlanta (Legendary group, great crew, and great production coming from this area. Countless other acts coming out. Too many terrible artists though in the last few years. Unless TI comes with something, they'll be easily replaced by Chicago. )

10. Miami (started a DOMINATED bass line that DOMINATED the south. Had every party and club playing their music in the entire 1990s. Don't mean to step on any toes, but Atlanta basically copied Miami's style. Forgettable or Unforgettable, no matter which way you look at it, in Luke).

Cities outside.
Memphis (started Crunk, not Atlanta.)
Man Spade, don't tell anybody. Saying that we "copied" Miami is a little too strong of a word to use...I prefer the words "took by force" (not really). Honestly, Atlanta did to Miami and Memphis what the ancient Roman army did too the Greeks, take note and perfect/ make our own. LOL, Miami has a different sound now, soooo (I'm looking at you Memphis, it's ours now).

Old 09-08-2008, 11:19 PM

129 posts, read 368,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
I'm talking about those who are rapping in hits now. Fat Joe and Ja Rule have been making hits or are in them.
no there not.....unless u went back in time or somethin. Ja Rule has been terrible since forever.....and fat joe....please. lol. NYC is still head honcho when it comes to hip hop....Nas, Mob Deep, Jay-Z, Talib Kweli, Mos Def....i can go on forever. NYC is hip hop. Atlanta only has a hand full of legit rappers....outkast, TI, Luda....everything else they got is bubblegum crap. Houston has some good rappers but theyre all underground. Houston has unbelievable potential....but the good rappers get not air time. its sad. LA has fallen off BIG time. Chi-town has amazing swag....Lupe Fiasco, Kanye, Common.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldbfree007 View Post
no there not.....unless u went back in time or somethin. Ja Rule has been terrible since forever.....and fat joe....please. lol. NYC is still head honcho when it comes to hip hop....Nas, Mob Deep, Jay-Z, Talib Kweli, Mos Def....i can go on forever. NYC is hip hop. Atlanta only has a hand full of legit rappers....outkast, TI, Luda....everything else they got is bubblegum crap. Houston has some good rappers but theyre all underground. Houston has unbelievable potential....but the good rappers get not air time. its sad. LA has fallen off BIG time. Chi-town has amazing swag....Lupe Fiasco, Kanye, Common.
Fat Joe has made recent hits along with Ja Rule... I don't mean 24 hours ago but within the last year or so...
Here's Ja Rule's recent song I always hear MTV playing...

Uh-oh

YouTube - Ja Rule Ft Lil Wayne - Uh Oh [MUSIC VIDEO]

Old 09-09-2008, 05:11 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoFan View Post
Man Spade, don't tell anybody. Saying that we "copied" Miami is a little too strong of a word to use...I prefer the words "took by force" (not really). Honestly, Atlanta did to Miami and Memphis what the ancient Roman army did too the Greeks, take note and perfect/ make our own. LOL, Miami has a different sound now, soooo (I'm looking at you Memphis, it's ours now).
It needs to be said though. If the Dungeon Family, TI, and Luda didn't hail from Atlanta, they're not even on the list IMO. Atlanta nearly took New Orleans bounce. New Orleans wasn't having that. lol

Old 09-09-2008, 05:13 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye 89 View Post

Also...Alot of you need to move Chicago higher in your lists.
Not really. Presently, yes, Chicago is higher. But historically, Chicago's list of hip hop artists in the mainstream are small. It didn't make a huge impact until about years ago. It had a couple artists/groups in Crucial Conflict (1996) and Da Brat (1993-98). But that's about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City