Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Mid-Sized Southwest City is better?
Albuquerque 313 51.14%
Tucson 299 48.86%
Voters: 612. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 09:15 PM

5,044 posts, read 7,419,654 times

Advertisements

I don't know if you've been outside the Southwest. The high school could be Anywhere, USA and reminds me of my elementary school back East. These Victorians are (mostly) rather clunky and inelegant specimens that don't measure up to the really fine stuff in other parts of the country (even Las Vegas, NM has better). Maybe Tucson doesn't have them but I'm not particularly thrilled with them as an Albuquerque resident, although I think we have some nicer ones than the ones you've posted. Still, they're better than most of the new housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 09:44 PM

8,630 posts, read 10,155,921 times
Dan from NM, you claim to know so much about Tucson, but I am starting to question that or your memory.

The railroad history definitely remains in downtown Tucson. Here is a link with information about the Train Depot and what was done to the remodeled Train Depot in Tucson:

Historic Tucson Train Depot - Photography by Scott D. Butcher

Maynards Market & Kitchen (Kitchen, Market, Plaza, Bar, Drawing Room, etc)

Tucson High Magnet School (formerly Tucson High School) is the oldest high school in AZ being established in 1892 and re-established in 1906. The 1987 film "Can't Buy Me Love" was shot on location at this school. It was never abandoned for decades like Old Albuquerque High. The main building portion was built in 1924:

File:Tucson High School (Arizona).jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tucson High Magnet School - YouTube

Old 08-18-2011, 10:36 PM

295 posts, read 592,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I don't know if you've been outside the Southwest. The high school could be Anywhere, USA and reminds me of my elementary school back East. These Victorians are (mostly) rather clunky and inelegant specimens that don't measure up to the really fine stuff in other parts of the country (even Las Vegas, NM has better). Maybe Tucson doesn't have them but I'm not particularly thrilled with them as an Albuquerque resident, although I think we have some nicer ones than the ones you've posted. Still, they're better than most of the new housing.
Of course I have been outside the Southwest, I also lived in Kentucky for awhile. And after seeing the Architecture in Louisville, I know it makes Albuquerque look weak. But, I think it is so unique a city like Albuquerque would have such a broad and huge collection of Victorian homes. Albuquerque does not have many, only less than 2,000 registered however, we do a good job of preserving them. Unlike other cities.

Las Vegas is a jewel city, some of the most powerful leaders in New Mexico lived there in it's "hayday" today, Las Vegas is just another town in New Mexico.

And about Albuquerque High School, you do realize how big the Campus was right? Go visit one of these days, I used to live there. Albuquerque was a small city in 1900. Only Menual, and Albuquerque existed then.. and even that was a surprise. Sure it's small, but the student population it served was small. I like the "gothic" architecture. Its neat in Albuquerque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Dan from NM, you claim to know so much about Tucson, but I am starting to question that or your memory.

The railroad history definitely remains in downtown Tucson. Here is a link with information about the Train Depot and what was done to the remodeled Train Depot in Tucson:

Historic Tucson Train Depot - Photography by Scott D. Butcher

Maynards Market & Kitchen (Kitchen, Market, Plaza, Bar, Drawing Room, etc)

Tucson High Magnet School (formerly Tucson High School) is the oldest high school in AZ being established in 1892 and re-established in 1906. The 1987 film "Can't Buy Me Love" was shot on location at this school. It was never abandoned for decades like Old Albuquerque High. The main building portion was built in 1924:

File:Tucson High School (Arizona).jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tucson High Magnet School - YouTube
I do remember the station, and those buildings you mentioned. But the Railroads did not have an influence on Tucson like they did Albuquerque. I really think Tucson is nice, but like Albuquerque lots of it's history was removed.

Albuquerque High was a large, but small campus, and when Albuquerque began to boom in the 40s it became too small. Therefore, AHS was relocated to a Massive new building about half a mile away. Old Albuquerque High sat empty for over 50 years. I was too surprised it was never knocked down, like the old "Alvarado Hotel"...

Old 08-19-2011, 06:20 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,894,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
+1

I think Southwestern art, history, food, and culture are most palpable in Albuquerque, Santa Fe, and Taos.
Whose Southwestern art, history, food, and culture? The cultures of northern NM aren't the only cultures of the Southwest.

What about the O'odham, Maricopa, Ak chin, Western Apache, and Yaqui cultures of Southern Arizona? The ancient Hohokam civilization rivaling in some ways yet connected with the Anasazi.

There is deep history with the Latino communities in Southern AZ that have been here since this was Spain and Mexico.

And the rich Old West history of Tucson.

As far as food goes, New Mexican food is just like the food we've always eaten in AZ. There's slight differences with some of the dishes but it's the same cuisine.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:41 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,629,353 times
Old Albuquerque High was abandoned in 1974, not in the fifties. My mom was in one of the last graduating classes from the old campus, in 1973. So it didn't lay dormant for "over 50 years". It was more like almost three decades. Renovation work and the conversion to lofts was begun in the early 2000s.

Old Albuquerque High School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-19-2011, 10:15 AM

295 posts, read 592,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
Old Albuquerque High was abandoned in 1974, not in the fifties. My mom was in one of the last graduating classes from the old campus, in 1973. So it didn't lay dormant for "over 50 years". It was more like almost three decades. Renovation work and the conversion to lofts was begun in the early 2000s.

Old Albuquerque High School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That is right, I forgot about that... I could have sworn it was abandoned before that. Such a shame though, since the gym was pretty much "new".

I was always hoping that thing never got the wrecking ball, like the Alvarado. And it was Renovated in early 2004, I moved in to my place there in 2005. And only stayed there for a year, from there moved to Tucson.

Now that I think of it, the 2002-2006 years for Albuquerque was a "turn around" period. Downtown added the buildings along Gold and Central, along with the movie theater. Isotopes park was built... wow, I miss Mayor Chavez.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:28 PM

25 posts, read 33,529 times
Does anyone know which city has a lower cost of living. Food and housing and stuff you know????

Old 08-26-2011, 01:14 AM

10,754 posts, read 23,832,257 times
Oh look, the poll is tied (243/243). Interesting how this thread has been ongoing for quite some time. Probably because these two cities have so many similaraties in spite have some differences such a moderate difference in climate and, those in ABQ who feel the need to shop for jewelery at Tiffany's will have to look elsewhere (not everyday people), like Tucson. But really they are both fairly similar sized college cities with palpable Southwestern culture.

One thing I haven't picked up on much in this thread are the differences in the economy employment bases of the two cities. Perhaps some locals could chime in as I'm not familiar with what the biggest employers are in Tucson.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 08-26-2011 at 01:24 AM..

Old 08-28-2011, 10:14 PM

Both cities are beautiful, spirited, and colorful and brilliantly convey the cultural aspects of the Southwest

Tucson Introductory Video - YouTube

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 08-28-2011 at 10:36 PM..

Old 08-28-2011, 10:16 PM

Albuquerque Tourism - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City