Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities do not have crime problems?
San Diego 15 13.51%
San Jose 15 13.51%
San Francisco 6 5.41%
Portland, OR 20 18.02%
Seattle 18 16.22%
Salt Lake City 19 17.12%
Minneapolis 13 11.71%
Denver 11 9.91%
Boston 10 9.01%
New York City 10 9.01%
Los Angeles 5 4.50%
Honolulu 13 11.71%
Other 8 7.21%
None of the above, they all have crime problems 41 36.94%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 08:20 PM

550 posts, read 2,169,193 times

Advertisements

Salt Lake City was a crime-free place, thirty years ago. After the Crips made their presence known here in the late-80s and the Metro Gang Unit was established, we've had our fair share of crime. In fact, the History Channel-made Gangland did an episode about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 08:35 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,968,755 times
Quote:
Salt Lake City was a crime-free place, thirty years agoAfter the Crips made their presence known here in the late-80s and the Metro Gang Unit was established, we've had our fair share of crime. In fact, the History Channel-made Gangland did an episode about it.
The Crips are a Black gang, you guys have Black gangs in a city where Blacks makeup only 1% of the population. I have seen Hispanic gangs in Salt Lake City but never any Black gangs, hell I didn't see that many Blacks in Salt Lake City period whether they are thugs or law abiding.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:26 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,211,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moose1234 View Post
Yes quite a bit actually.

I lived in Denver for a week.

I went to Rapid City, SD once.

When I was a kid my family went to San Diego for vacation, we also went to Tijuana.

So yes I have traveled more then alot of people.
So pretty much you haven't traveled very much. I've been to Wyoming and South Dakota before, California around ten times, Mexico around five times and Colorado twice, yet you live significantly closer to those states...

Going to Mexico (Ameri-xico at that) doesn't mean you have any grasp of other cultures. Not to mention you've been to basically one region of the U.S. ...

Old 11-23-2008, 10:13 PM

550 posts, read 2,169,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
The Crips are a Black gang, you guys have Black gangs in a city where Blacks makeup only 1% of the population. I have seen Hispanic gangs in Salt Lake City but never any Black gangs, hell I didn't see that many Blacks in Salt Lake City period whether they are thugs or law abiding.
That's exactly what the LA cops said to the Salt Lake cops in the late-80s when the gang problem started (this coming from the aforementioned "Gangland" episode)! I don't know why, but the Crips here are Hispanic and Pacific Islander (being as politically correct here as possible ).

Old 11-23-2008, 11:20 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,430,669 times
Thay all have problems.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:08 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,116,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
So pretty much you haven't traveled very much. I've been to Wyoming and South Dakota before, California around ten times, Mexico around five times and Colorado twice, yet you live significantly closer to those states...

Going to Mexico (Ameri-xico at that) doesn't mean you have any grasp of other cultures. Not to mention you've been to basically one region of the U.S. ...
I think i win. I've been all around my own country - Scotland, England, Ireland, Wales, i've also been to Spain (20 times, we go every year for 3 weeks), Mallorca, Greece - Crete and Corfu, Italy (family live there) Turkey, Poland, Norway, Germany, Sweden, France.

States wise, NY, PA, NJ, NC, SC, GA, AL, MS

Not to mention the majority of the cities in those states.

Now i'll be visiting Colorado alot since my fiance is moving there in Jan.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:34 AM

2,781 posts, read 7,211,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
I think i win. I've been all around my own country - Scotland, England, Ireland, Wales, i've also been to Spain (20 times, we go every year for 3 weeks), Mallorca, Greece - Crete and Corfu, Italy (family live there) Turkey, Poland, Norway, Germany, Sweden, France.

States wise, NY, PA, NJ, NC, SC, GA, AL, MS

Not to mention the majority of the cities in those states.

Now i'll be visiting Colorado alot since my fiance is moving there in Jan.
I've been to 7 of the countries you mentioned, plus over half the U.S., not to mention I'm 20--I have a lot of traveling time left

Old 11-24-2008, 10:22 AM

196 posts, read 992,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
The geography of the two cities make this incorrect.
L.A. is huge and it encompasses many wealthy and middle class neighborhoods. Boston is small and it does not.
The City of Boston, as defined by the actual limits of the incorporated city, is purely urban in character, where L.A is a huge urban/suburban sprawl.
If you incorporated the cities and towns surrounding Boston to make it similar to L.A. It would be one of the top 5 safest cities in country.

exactly....to compare Boston and LA using murder rate is beyond silly...you would need to add 20 Newtons, Cambridges and Brooklines into Boston's figures to get the equivalence in population density and suburban sprawl that whitewashes and dilutes central LA's crime figures.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:09 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times
I don't think the world is quite ready for 20 Cambridges!!!

Old 11-24-2008, 11:53 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbyBu View Post
exactly....to compare Boston and LA using murder rate is beyond silly...you would need to add 20 Newtons, Cambridges and Brooklines into Boston's figures to get the equivalence in population density and suburban sprawl that whitewashes and dilutes central LA's crime figures.
That is why the use crime RATES, which take into account different populations. I don't get how so many people still do not grasp that simple concept. It's a very fair comparison when looking at crime RATES instead of totals. I can't believe how many people try to skew stats or interpret them in their own way just b/c they don't like what it says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City